How does it even support SACD and DSD anyway? There's no optical player in the thing. Or are we supposed to get a real SACD player and connect it to this to output?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 3/30/14 at 6:33pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK120 For Sale Last post on 4/16/14 at 7:50pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was reading the Engadget posting on the AK120, and they say that DSD will "eventually" be on this player...
I forget if this was settled or not...
I recently compared the UI usability between the AK100 and AK120. The AK120 is so much better now and most of the criticisms has been address:-
- the battery meter is now linear and accurate. Down to where the indicator turns red, there is still a good 2 hours playback before a diagonal line appears on top of the battery meter. At this point, I think it is near the full discharge. I have never run the battery flat, so no idea of how much more playing time when this shows, as I switch off manually at this juncture
- it is much faster to navigate through the the player, as there is now a home button on the playing screen and a back arrow. The home buttons takes you directly to the albums, artists, MQS, etc etc. page. There is also a functions icon here to navigate the set up.
- gapless play works perfectly
- each start up still takes a while
- scanning the files takes about the same amount of time as the AK100. So changing the settings to manual scan is by far better
Wow how much did that baby set you back? ;).
Give it 4-5 days solid playing time...
Out of the box, it is rather disappointing and you will be kicking yourself. I know I did as I was walking out of the the shop and thought $1400 down the drain. However, even after 2-3 hours, the performance already surpasses the AK100
i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D
I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.
Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase.
- The Astell & Kern AK120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 seconds ago
- › WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH? 2 minutes ago
- › Question! 3 minutes ago
- › Atlanta, GA - A-VCOA Presents May 4th Portable Audio Jam 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E02i "Rocky" - First Impression + Final Thought 5 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › CanOpener? 7 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 8 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob