Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 16

post #226 of 6290

How does it even support SACD and DSD anyway? There's no optical player in the thing. Or are we supposed to get a real SACD player and connect it to this to output?

post #227 of 6290

I was reading the Engadget posting on the AK120, and they say that DSD will "eventually" be on this player...

 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/11/iriver-ak120-mqs-player-fcc/

 

I forget if this was settled or not...

post #228 of 6290

I recently compared the UI usability between the AK100 and AK120. The AK120 is so much better now and most of the criticisms has been address:- 

 

- the battery meter is now linear and accurate. Down to where the indicator turns red, there is still a good 2 hours playback before a diagonal line appears on top of the battery meter. At this point, I think it is near the full discharge. I have never run the battery flat, so no idea of how much more playing time when this shows, as I switch off manually at this juncture

 

- it is much faster to navigate through the the player, as there is now a home button on the playing screen and a back arrow. The home buttons takes you directly to the albums, artists, MQS, etc etc. page. There is also a functions icon here to navigate the set up.

 

- gapless play works perfectly

 

 

 

However:-

 

- each start up still takes a while

 

- scanning the files takes about the same amount of time as the AK100. So changing the settings to manual scan is by far better

post #229 of 6290

Just placed my order for the AK120, looking forward to comparing it with AK100, I really hope it doesnt disappoint me. 

post #230 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Just placed my order for the AK120, looking forward to comparing it with AK100, I really hope it doesnt disappoint me. 


Wow how much did that baby set you back? ;).

post #231 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Wow how much did that baby set you back? wink.gif.
Probably something like $1400.
post #232 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Just placed my order for the AK120, looking forward to comparing it with AK100, I really hope it doesnt disappoint me. 

 

Congratulations......

 

Give it 4-5 days solid playing time...

 

Out of the box, it is rather disappointing and you will be kicking yourself. I know I did as I was walking out of the the shop and thought $1400 down the drain. However, even after 2-3 hours, the performance already surpasses the AK100regular_smile%20.gif

post #233 of 6290

I will, I still havent had more than 20 hours on the AK100. 

post #234 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I will, I still havent had more than 20 hours on the AK100. 

 

 

LOL

 

Simultaneous burn innormal_smile%20.gif

post #235 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

 

LOL

 

Simultaneous burn innormal_smile%20.gif

hehe sure.

 

HF is a bad place for me, I am making to much impluse purchasaes. Soon I will be selling my kidneys :D

post #236 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

hehe sure.

HF is a bad place for me, I am making to much impluse purchasaes. Soon I will be selling my kidneys biggrin.gif
Better hope it doesn't come down to that. wink.gif
post #237 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


Better hope it doesn't come down to that. wink.gif

i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D

I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.

post #238 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D

I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.

Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase. 

post #239 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase. 

o so you bought the hm901? Congrats. 

post #240 of 6290

Nup, but people say that the HM901 is only a bit better than the DX100 and I find the HDP-R10 to be quite a bit better. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120