How does it even support SACD and DSD anyway? There's no optical player in the thing. Or are we supposed to get a real SACD player and connect it to this to output?
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 1,236 Posts. Joined 4/2011
- Location: Rochester, NY
- Select All Posts By This User
I was reading the Engadget posting on the AK120, and they say that DSD will "eventually" be on this player...
I forget if this was settled or not...
I recently compared the UI usability between the AK100 and AK120. The AK120 is so much better now and most of the criticisms has been address:-
- the battery meter is now linear and accurate. Down to where the indicator turns red, there is still a good 2 hours playback before a diagonal line appears on top of the battery meter. At this point, I think it is near the full discharge. I have never run the battery flat, so no idea of how much more playing time when this shows, as I switch off manually at this juncture
- it is much faster to navigate through the the player, as there is now a home button on the playing screen and a back arrow. The home buttons takes you directly to the albums, artists, MQS, etc etc. page. There is also a functions icon here to navigate the set up.
- gapless play works perfectly
- each start up still takes a while
- scanning the files takes about the same amount of time as the AK100. So changing the settings to manual scan is by far better
Give it 4-5 days solid playing time...
Out of the box, it is rather disappointing and you will be kicking yourself. I know I did as I was walking out of the the shop and thought $1400 down the drain. However, even after 2-3 hours, the performance already surpasses the AK100
i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D
I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.
Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase.