How does it even support SACD and DSD anyway? There's no optical player in the thing. Or are we supposed to get a real SACD player and connect it to this to output?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:54 pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ultrasone performance 880 Last post on 8/10/14 at 10:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was reading the Engadget posting on the AK120, and they say that DSD will "eventually" be on this player...
I forget if this was settled or not...
I recently compared the UI usability between the AK100 and AK120. The AK120 is so much better now and most of the criticisms has been address:-
- the battery meter is now linear and accurate. Down to where the indicator turns red, there is still a good 2 hours playback before a diagonal line appears on top of the battery meter. At this point, I think it is near the full discharge. I have never run the battery flat, so no idea of how much more playing time when this shows, as I switch off manually at this juncture
- it is much faster to navigate through the the player, as there is now a home button on the playing screen and a back arrow. The home buttons takes you directly to the albums, artists, MQS, etc etc. page. There is also a functions icon here to navigate the set up.
- gapless play works perfectly
- each start up still takes a while
- scanning the files takes about the same amount of time as the AK100. So changing the settings to manual scan is by far better
Wow how much did that baby set you back? ;).
Give it 4-5 days solid playing time...
Out of the box, it is rather disappointing and you will be kicking yourself. I know I did as I was walking out of the the shop and thought $1400 down the drain. However, even after 2-3 hours, the performance already surpasses the AK100
i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D
I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.
Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase.
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › Band Name Game II 4 seconds ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 41 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 58 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 58 seconds ago
- › 2014 bay area little big meet impressions 1 minute ago
- › Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 7 minutes ago
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)