Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 137

post #2041 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

This is strange because my PC is USB 3.0 and the AK120 still works on it (Alienware Aurora R4 Stealth Black)....


Theoretically, all USB ports scale down, meaning you can use any USB device on a USB 3.0 port...at least that is what I thought. Imagine if everytime you upgrade a computer, all your older devices do not work ?

post #2042 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Theoretically, all USB ports scale down, meaning you can use any USB device on a USB 3.0 port...at least that is what I thought. Imagine if every time you upgrade a computer, all your older devices do not work ?

 

You are correct Mimou (that's also a question that will show up on the Comp TIA exams ;). I think there is a driver compatibility with these devices. It may very well be something to do with the 3.0 not scaling down to meet the iRivers requirements. But I'd assume the fault lies on iRivers side with the compatibility issues.

post #2043 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

You are correct Mimou (that's also a question that will show up on the Comp TIA exams ;). I think there is a driver compatibility with these devices. It may very well be something to do with the 3.0 not scaling down to meet the iRivers requirements. But I'd assume the fault lies on iRivers side with the compatibility issues.

 

I had actually PM'ed JmoonAK and he confirmed that it didn't work on usb 3?!

 

Same thing for the Bladelius usb dac...........

 

Anyway, the AK120 sounds great when you get it to workbigsmile_face.gif 

post #2044 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

I had actually PM'ed JmoonAK and he confirmed that it didn't work on usb 3?!

 

Same thing for the Bladelius usb dac...........

 

Anyway, the AK120 sounds great when you get it to workbigsmile_face.gif 

 

My machine must be special then. regular_smile%20.gif

post #2045 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

My machine must be special then. regular_smile%20.gif


There must 've been variation in the usb3 implementation on different chipsets of PC. It also work on my PC.

post #2046 of 6399
Works fine on both 3.0 ports on my MBPR.
post #2047 of 6399

For those having USB 3.0 port problems, the following excerpt from the AK120 manual may provide an explanation:

 

"In 64Bit operating systems, USB DAC through USB 3.0 port is not supported. Please use the USB 2.0 port."

 

Apologies if this is already common knowledge.

post #2048 of 6399

Confirmed with iRiver that .wav files will only show bit rate and song title.  No artist, cover art or other metadata support.  They suggested I convert everything to flac.

post #2049 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

I had actually PM'ed JmoonAK and he confirmed that it didn't work on usb 3?!

Same thing for the Bladelius usb dac...........

Anyway, the AK120 sounds great when you get it to workbigsmile_face.gif
 

that sucks, normally USB3 should be backward compatible which means your PC must be able to read USB2, i do not know perhaps you need use Usb3 to Usb2 cable adapter. i am not knowledgeable about PC since I have only Macs but i remember for my dad i had same issue which was solved with appropriate cable.
post #2050 of 6399

I am really distressed about the AK120 not working with my JH13's.  Both work with everything else but not with each other/unless an amp is in line between them.  Has anyone else gotten JH13's to work without having drop outs occur a minute or two after the screen light turns off?  It was kinda what i was going to use the 120 for at least half the time-ciem that can't be used without an amp in line really defeats the purpose.

post #2051 of 6399
Can you measure the total impedance of your jh13 incl. your cable? Just use a multi meter, set it in ohm. You'll get the DC impedance but at least you'll have an idea.
The only reason I can think of is one of your driver is shorted or almost shorted and the output protection of AK120 kicks in. It's quite normal to have a protection in a mobile device to limit it's current. Your amp, in the other hand, might not have protection and can deliver way more current than AK120.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

I am really distressed about the AK120 not working with my JH13's.  Both work with everything else but not with each other/unless an amp is in line between them.  Has anyone else gotten JH13's to work without having drop outs occur a minute or two after the screen light turns off?  It was kinda what i was going to use the 120 for at least half the time-ciem that can't be used without an amp in line really defeats the purpose.
post #2052 of 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

I am really distressed about the AK120 not working with my JH13's.  Both work with everything else but not with each other/unless an amp is in line between them.  Has anyone else gotten JH13's to work without having drop outs occur a minute or two after the screen light turns off?  It was kinda what i was going to use the 120 for at least half the time-ciem that can't be used without an amp in line really defeats the purpose.

I'm using JH16s on my AK120 and have not had any real problems with playback.  I do remember, though, that early on with the 1.00 firmware it did stutter once on a 24/96 track.  I upgraded to 1.21 the day it came out and it's played flawlessly the entire time after that.

post #2053 of 6399

Thanks both of you, i was using a 24/96 file and i am using 1.0 , that is very interesting.  Maybe after the next firmware is released i will try again. In the mean time, i will measure the ohms when i get home from work, i do have a multimeter at home.  Glad i asked, hope they aren't near shorted, i just got a new cable, which also may contribute, i am not sure.  Never got to use it with the stock cable.  Hopefully just a firmware issue that will be resolved down the line.  

 

It is a bit more than just stutters, it is total dropouts, but they only occur after screen goes dark, and stop when you turn it back on or change the volume.

post #2054 of 6399
Small chance that the cable is causing the short. It's an open ended cable, so when you measure a very low impedance it's the driver that is busted. Measure both channel to gnd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

Thanks both of you, i was using a 24/96 file and i am using 1.0 , that is very interesting.  Maybe after the next firmware is released i will try again. In the mean time, i will measure the ohms when i get home from work, i do have a multimeter at home.  Glad i asked, hope they aren't near shorted, i just got a new cable, which also may contribute, i am not sure.  Never got to use it with the stock cable.  Hopefully just a firmware issue that will be resolved down the line.  

It is a bit more than just stutters, it is total dropouts, but they only occur after screen goes dark, and stop when you turn it back on or change the volume.
post #2055 of 6399
Quote:

Apologies if this is already common knowledge.
ving USB 3.0 port problems, the following excerpt from the AK120 manual may provide an explanation:

"In 64Bit operating systems, USB DAC through USB 3.0 port is not supported. lease use the USB 2.0 port."

Apologies if this is already common knowledge.


FWIW I'm running 64-bit win7 and usb dac works with the usb3 port.

I asked my HTPC builder and they told me the mainboard is a zotac z68 chipset board:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-z68-itx-wifi-supreme-z68itx-b-e.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120