Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 104

post #1546 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soria View Post

Hello everyone,

I need your help!
I was wondering if any of you own or have used the AK120 with the Westone ES5 custume earphones. If yes, please give your impression on this setup. I'm trying to decided between buying the RWAK100 and the AK120 to use with my Weatone.
Do you think the 5 ohm in the AK120 would be an issue with the Westone ES5 20 ohm?

Thank you so much,

 

Output impedance is only one part of what impact the sound quality. AK120 inherently is on another level compared to the AK100 in terms of sound quality and the measured output is 3.5 (claimed 3) I can't imagine the modified AK100 would sound better.  FWIW I own the AK100 and AK120 but only demo'ed the RWAK100.

post #1547 of 6309
Edit: sorry guys, but I have to remove the link to the firmware.
Edited by JmoonAK - 6/19/13 at 2:21am
post #1548 of 6309

@Jmoon

 

Thank you for providing us with the ability to compare and choose....sometimes newest isn't the best (YRMV)

post #1549 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Tell me about it...I should receive my AK120 tomorrow 

Mim, please post your impressions with your Miracles.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyl59 View Post


Hopefully UM Miracles will also sound good, as if I recall correctly, their impedance is around 16 ohms too.

They are 15.9  biggrin.gif  I am using a demo Mezzo AK100 and it took me a few hours to enjoy the pairing with the Miracles. I return home tomorrow and my AK120 is waiting for me......

 

Let's hope Mim has good things to say.


Edited by Saraguie - 6/18/13 at 7:26pm
post #1550 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK View Post

For those of you who wanted to downgrade to 1.00, please try [removed per Jmoon's request] instead. This version should have the same sound signature found on the 1.00 firmware. Please note this [removed per Jmoon's request] does not include the USB DAC feature nor DSD support. 

All of your concerns about the change in SQ have been well noted and have been forwarded to the team. If you still want v1.00 for your AK120, please let me know via PM.

Finally! Big thanks Jmoon and happy to hear our feedbacks made it to the team. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by kkcc - 6/19/13 at 2:45am
post #1551 of 6309
Chaps, I've cleaned up this thread a little. Please stay on topic avoid contentious posts or replying to them.
post #1552 of 6309

Look what I got ! Just played a couple of songs, sounds good. The difference is very important with AK100 mod ORIGINAL firmware, less so with Listrid 2.0. But overall I would say more authority and note weight than AK100 mod. I just listened to a couple of songs though...and apparently the player need a bit of burn in. So my AK100 mod is going for sale.

 

post #1553 of 6309

Congrats. 

post #1554 of 6309

That's serious stuff you got there Mimouille.Is that pure silver?

I am happy for you my friend, and I hope my AK120 will be here in the next 2 days, can't wait any longer..

Will ring them today as they were really slow at answering my emails.

What closed headphones are you going to use it with, any impression?Thankstriportsad.gif

post #1555 of 6309

Let us know how the AK120 sounds with SE5. And comparison with TP would be great as well! etysmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Look what I got ! Just played a couple of songs, sounds good. The difference is very important with AK100 mod ORIGINAL firmware, less so with Listrid 2.0. But overall I would say more authority and note weight than AK100 mod. I just listened to a couple of songs though...and apparently the player need a bit of burn in. So my AK100 mod is going for sale.

 

 

post #1556 of 6309

Very nice mimou! Glad you like it. It does noticeably improve with some usage. The sound opens up nicely.

 

If those are his Miracles then that could be his gold/silver cable. Quite a bit more pricey than the silver cable (although that is also pricey :P).
 

post #1557 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

That's serious stuff you got there Mimouille.Is that pure silver?

I am happy for you my friend, and I hope my AK120 will be here in the next 2 days, can't wait any longer..

Will ring them today as they were really slow at answering my emails.

What closed headphones are you going to use it with, any impression?Thankstriportsad.gif


Thank you ! This cable is the original Tralucent Silver Gold Cable, works wonders with BA iems. Since then, Gavin has a new more ergonomic version which I use with my 1plus2. I use only only iems...ever. :)

post #1558 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

Let us know how the AK120 sounds with SE5. And comparison with TP would be great as well! etysmile.gif


I have not tried with the SE5 yet but sure will. It has more punch and bass impact than TP for sure, the rest I will have to listen more :)

post #1559 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Very nice mimou! Glad you like it. It does noticeably improve with some usage. The sound opens up nicely.

 

If those are his Miracles then that could be his gold/silver cable. Quite a bit more pricey than the silver cable (although that is also pricey :P).
 


Thanks :) Yes indeed silver / gold. You know everything I own ;)

post #1560 of 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Thanks :) Yes indeed silver / gold. You know everything I own ;)


I wonder why? biggrin.gif

 

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not in this thread but the 8as pair extremely well on the AK120 with 1.21. I've really come to enjoy the sound the more I've used it. Could also be the gold cable has started to settle in (hadn't used it much until I got the 8As).


Edited by lee730 - 6/19/13 at 1:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120