- 1,136 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Kent, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on Today at 3:57 am in Portable Source Gear
- $599 Lehmannaudio Traveller Last post on 8/25/14 at 3:23am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 103
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I need your help!
I was wondering if any of you own or have used the AK120 with the Westone ES5 custume earphones. If yes, please give your impression on this setup. I'm trying to decided between buying the RWAK100 and the AK120 to use with my Weatone.
Do you think the 5 ohm in the AK120 would be an issue with the Westone ES5 20 ohm?
Thank you so much,
FR chart will be effected, wouldn't recommend. However maybe the effect will make the ciems better for your tastes who knows. It is not guarentee that it will sound bad. It is just the FR of ES5 will change but maybe you can even like the new sound.
Let us know how you get on with them, good to have an ever expanding knowledge base.
when did you order? haven't used them myself, but have had a look on their site.
Just sitting listening to https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035769
Binaural Chesky recording...absolutely amazing in full 24 bit format on the AK120...try it for an amazing experience chaps.
Maybe the device will be with me in the next two days? At least I have got a discount.
I purchased mine from Audio Affair. They were in stock at the time and mine arrived the following morning. They were great throughout. I am sure there's nothing sinister to worry about. I'd give them a call tomorrow morning.
Looks like a DISCRETE output section ahead of the DACs. My S:flo2 uses opamps instead. Now, it used to be that CAREFULLY designed discrete sections were the cats meow ... like separate amps and preamps. But then came the super integrated amps that blow away many separates. As I noted earlier, the cheaper DAPs use cheap opamps (or poorly chosen med-price opamps). Mid-price but great OPAs for DAPs, like AD8397, about $2.50/ea., are very nice for LO and HO sections. I'll take this OPA over many discrete sections any day!
Still waitin' on you rich n' "brave" owners to post your innards ;)
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › Destiny 9 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads & general... 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 4 minutes ago
- › upgrading from senn hd598 to hd600 amped 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)