- 1,136 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Kent, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 6/26/15 at 6:34am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AKT5P Last post on 5/20/15 at 10:17am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 103
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I need your help!
I was wondering if any of you own or have used the AK120 with the Westone ES5 custume earphones. If yes, please give your impression on this setup. I'm trying to decided between buying the RWAK100 and the AK120 to use with my Weatone.
Do you think the 5 ohm in the AK120 would be an issue with the Westone ES5 20 ohm?
Thank you so much,
FR chart will be effected, wouldn't recommend. However maybe the effect will make the ciems better for your tastes who knows. It is not guarentee that it will sound bad. It is just the FR of ES5 will change but maybe you can even like the new sound.
Let us know how you get on with them, good to have an ever expanding knowledge base.
when did you order? haven't used them myself, but have had a look on their site.
Just sitting listening to https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035769
Binaural Chesky recording...absolutely amazing in full 24 bit format on the AK120...try it for an amazing experience chaps.
Maybe the device will be with me in the next two days? At least I have got a discount.
I purchased mine from Audio Affair. They were in stock at the time and mine arrived the following morning. They were great throughout. I am sure there's nothing sinister to worry about. I'd give them a call tomorrow morning.
Looks like a DISCRETE output section ahead of the DACs. My S:flo2 uses opamps instead. Now, it used to be that CAREFULLY designed discrete sections were the cats meow ... like separate amps and preamps. But then came the super integrated amps that blow away many separates. As I noted earlier, the cheaper DAPs use cheap opamps (or poorly chosen med-price opamps). Mid-price but great OPAs for DAPs, like AD8397, about $2.50/ea., are very nice for LO and HO sections. I'll take this OPA over many discrete sections any day!
Still waitin' on you rich n' "brave" owners to post your innards ;)
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 1 second ago
- › 🌅 Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San... 37 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 56 seconds ago
- › BEATS PRO 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 7 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 8 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › RHA T20 by LFC_SL
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)