Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 95

post #1411 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

On go solution would either be dx100 + CIEMs or IPC rockboxed with 1+2 or JH16;) 

 

Rockboxed IPC + 1+2 is my favourite actually;)  Best UI, small size, longest battery and one of the best sound (maybe THE best) I have ever heard. But this requires some serious EQ setting. ;)

 

and sorry about the ak120 ;P

No worries about the AK120 wink.gif

 

Out of topic, I have 2 question for you which are related to each other. I learned you have a Hidition ciem, NT6 I guess. So, do you live in Eu region? If so, how was your experience with custom taxes of of Eu region?

 

I am thinking about getting one from them (NT6 pro most probably) so I would like to know more about the process. I am trying to collect as many info as possible.

 

Btw, I must say, Rockboxed IPC over DX100? That surprised me, I would think DX100 would beat it easily. Maybe there is an unique synergy with 1+2 (with EQ help).

post #1412 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

No worries about the AK120 wink.gif

 

Out of topic, I have 2 question for you which are related to each other. I learned you have a Hidition ciem, NT6 I guess. So, do you live in Eu region? If so, how was your experience with custom taxes of of Eu region?

 

I am thinking about getting one from them (NT6 pro most probably) so I would like to know more about the process. I am trying to collect as many info as possible.

 

Btw, I must say, Rockboxed IPC over DX100? That surprised me, I would think DX100 would beat it easily. Maybe there is an unique synergy with 1+2 (with EQ help).

Let's talk with PM;)

post #1413 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I don't think they compare honestly. Had 2 Sflo2s and I'd say the Rocoo BA was an upgrade over it. I don't see it as being in league with the Studio nor the AK120. To top it off the UI on the Sflo2 makes the Studios UI look like a walk in the park.... redface.gif

 

Still the Sflo2 for it's time was quite a good sounding player at a decent price. Although it's quite dated now. When I had one I specifically used it through its LO. Wasn't a fan of the HO (the amp section left much to be desired personally).

Haven't heard the Rocoo BAs yet. What are "Studios"? Link, please!

 

The AK's biggest downfall is, of course, $$. Some may defend the $$ given its size-to-perf ratio. But come on ... can a few centimeters off the dimensions be worth THAT much? Maybe this brand/model is for elites ala Tiffany ... Chanel ...Sharper Image, etc and I'm none the wiser ;) Certainly that name Astell-Kern sounds "elite", as is its royal packaging and artwork. Reminds me of the Colorfly CK4 vs. C4. The cursive typeface, the wood ... a work of "art".

Will Smith from Independence Day: "I have got to get me one of these... "

Luv that "A" !!!

 

Seriously, tho', the cheaper Colorfly and the sflo/T51 "suffer" somewhat from their stock opamps. Change those out and the SQ of these units improve quite dramatically.

 

Speaking of opamp, what does the AK120 use?


Edited by alphaman - 6/15/13 at 6:02pm
post #1414 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post

Speaking of opamp, what does the AK120 use?

 

if it's priced in the same league as the DAC's about $6.00 each.

post #1415 of 5999
post #1416 of 5999
Can u still use it as a transport with optical out when using the usb dac mode? Sorry cant find the thread post that talked about it....
post #1417 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

Can u still use it as a transport with optical out when using the usb dac mode? Sorry cant find the thread post that talked about it....

no optical out with usb dac mode doesn't work and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is not supported.
post #1418 of 5999
Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post



no optical out with usb dac mode doesn't work and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is not supported.
post #1419 of 5999
Can somebody tell me what volume knob is used in AK120? Is not an Alps right?
post #1420 of 5999
It's a digital volume control I think. Since you can also touch the screen to adjust the volume.
post #1421 of 5999

What Hiyoni said is correct. 

post #1422 of 5999
The AK100 uses discrete components (FETs) instead of op amp. So the AK120 might use the same solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post

Speaking of opamp, what does the AK120 use?
post #1423 of 5999
Does anybody have a link where I can see photos of AK120 internals? I would love to see what they have done to achieve this sonic sound signature in such a tight space. And thanks for answering my previous question about the volume knob.
post #1424 of 5999

I presume as with the AK100, 100% volume on the AK120 equals line out level. Is this still correct? I was considering feeding my Lyr with the AK120 as a USB DAC

 

I also presume the device gets charged whilst in USB DAC mode?

 

Oh and whilst I'm asking annoying questions (My favourite kind) biggrin.gif  Is there a rule of thumb using longer USB cables? ie is it not advisable over a certain length?

post #1425 of 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post

I presume as with the AK100, 100% volume on the AK120 equals line out level. Is this still correct? I was considering feeding my Lyr with the AK120 as a USB DAC


I also presume the device gets charged whilst in USB DAC mode?

Oh and whilst I'm asking annoying questions (My favourite kind) biggrin.gif
  Is there a rule of thumb using longer USB cables? ie is it not advisable over a certain length?

I think the AK120 or Ak100 both has very clean HO and I usually keep it around 50 to avoid it being too loud should I use it standalone and forgot to turn it down.... and yes device get charged when in usb dac mode
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120