Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 40

post #586 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Where did you get to audition these ?

In Vegas at a company event. There were 3 available but they only had bright filters.

I cannot stress this enough.. The se846 completely obliterate the se535. They are not in the same league at all.

The bass on this headphone feels like an over the ear headphone. But its not like bloated bass. Its smooth and deep and crisp. The highs are very clear without semblance.

The headphones are very intimate. Soundstage isn't huge, bigger than the 535 but the highs mids and lows fill up the space so smoothly. Its like butter for your ears.

The fact that these are $300 less than the k3003, have a better fit, block out more noise, have a much fuller sound without the need for amplification, and have Shure's excellent customer service behind them make these a bargain when compared to others in its class.

They will come with 2 cables, one longer than the other. No mic cable but you and swap out these cables with the other shure cables. I also believe there is a black version in the works.
Edited by AgainstTheGrain - 5/12/13 at 9:29pm
post #587 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

Those ultra high frequencies don't matter. The 535 is proficient in the range of music. It's like you are complaining about a car that can only go as fast as 120 mph on the highway where the top speed allowed is 70 mph. In other words, it couldn't be more irrelevant.



 



As far as this so-called "air instrument" you refer too, you are doing a public service by warning others that the 535 won't play the "air" in classical music. Carry on.....enough said.



Overtones...I don't understand why you try to use rhetoric and remarks as it doesn't help the points. You know if the roll off is fine to you that's ok, but its there, as much as you wanted to deny it (with a lack of proof), though I think you've finally accepted it I think. Extension to 20k IMO is vital (among other things)at this price point and these don't have that. 20k is part of the human hearing range, simple as that
Edited by Inks - 5/12/13 at 9:29pm
post #588 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain View Post


In Vegas at a company event. There were 3 available but they only had bright filters.

I cannot stress this enough.. The se846 completely obliterate the se535. They are not in the same league at all.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The bass on this headphone feels like an over the ear headphone. But its not like bloated bass. Its smooth and deep and crisp. The highs are very clear without semblance.

The headphones are very intimate. Soundstage isn't huge, bigger than the 535 but the highs mids and lows fill up the space so smoothly. Its like butter for your ears.

The fact that these are $300 less than the k3003, have a better fit, block out more noise, have a much fuller sound without the need for amplification, and have Shure's excellent customer service behind them make these a bargain when compared to others in its class.

They will come with 2 cables, one longer. No mic cable but you and swap out these cables with the other share cables. I also believe there is a black version in the works.

 

 

 

 

I like this postregular_smile%20.gif

 

Managed to have a pair reserved for me in the first batch deliveries here.

 

Hopefully in early June..................

post #589 of 3046

$1K is a "bargain" since there's a more expensive overpriced IEM in the landscape.

 

Welcome to the future, now-present. 

post #590 of 3046
Way to go spkrs01. Looks like you're going to have quite a collection, new FitEar, new Shures. Did you consider the Kuro too?
post #591 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

Those ultra high frequencies don't matter. The 535 is proficient in the range of music. It's like you are complaining about a car that can only go as fast as 120 mph on the highway where the top speed allowed is 70 mph. In other words, it couldn't be more irrelevant.



 



As far as this so-called "air instrument" you refer too, you are doing a public service by warning others that the 535 won't play the "air" in classical music. Carry on.....enough said.



He has a point with the overtones but I personally wouldn't call it air. Most instruments produce multiple levels of overtones, similar to harmonics, in addition to the fundamental note played. You can see how not being able to hear these overtones would somewhat impede more realistic reproduction of instrumental music (assuming one has a higher limit of hearing than the upper reproductive limit of the IEM and overtones for what is being played extend to that limit)

But in regard to the SE846, given that there are no measurements yet and no one has had anything more than a quick listen, it's really a moot point at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

20k is part of the [possible] human hearing range, simple as that

Fixed. Lets not make assumptions about everyone limit of hearing. That's like saying "anyone can see how ugly this vase is," to someone who lost their eyesight.
Edited by vwinter - 5/12/13 at 9:43pm
post #592 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post


He has a point with the overtones but I personally wouldn't call it air. Most instruments produce multiple levels of overtones, similar to harmonics, in addition to the fundamental note played. You can see how not being able to hear these overtones would somewhat impede more realistic reproduction of instrumental music.

But in regard to the SE846, given that there are no measurements yet and no one has had anything more than a quick listen, it's really a moot point at the moment.

 

That's assuming you can hear above 16 kHz :p  Most of use really can't, some of us can though.

post #593 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post

$1K is a "bargain" since there's a more expensive overpriced IEM in the landscape.

Welcome to the future, now-present. 

It is what it is. The segment isn't going anywhere.

Fact of the matter is people who want to and can spend the money on $1k headphones will. Others that can't will just complain about how expensive they are.

These are made for people who will spend the money on them and trust there are a lot of them out there. If there wasn't then it wouldn't be made and neither would half of the other stuff we praise in this hobby.

I don't see anything wrong with a $1k iem if the buyer feels its value is at $1k, and like I said when you compare the SE846 which is a $1k iem to other top tier $1k+ monitors it is indeed a bargain.
post #594 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

That's assuming you can hear above 16 kHz tongue.gif  Most of use really can't, some of us can though.
usually the younger individuals can hear to 20k. But even healthy older individuals can hear up to 18k
post #595 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post


Overtones...I don't understand why you try to use rhetoric and remarks as it doesn't help the points. You know if the roll off is fine to you that's ok, but its there, as much as you wanted to deny it (with a lack of proof), though I think you've finally accepted it I think. Extension to 20k IMO is vital (among other things)at this price point and these don't have that. 20k is part of the human hearing range, simple as that

You're now insisting that 20khz is vital when most people over 30 yrs old (reportedly) can't hear over 17khz (with 17k being useless high-pitched noise).

 

Shure reports the response to 19khz on the 535 so clearly these are not the IEMs for you and your "air instrument".  So why exactly are you posting on this thread about the new SE846? I mean, shouldn't you be on the IEM to 20khz thread?


Edited by truckdriver - 5/12/13 at 9:45pm
post #596 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

That's assuming you can hear above 16 kHz tongue.gif  Most of use really can't, some of us can though.

You sir are quick. You caught me while I was adding that to my post.
post #597 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Way to go spkrs01. Looks like you're going to have quite a collection, new FitEar, new Shures. Did you consider the Kuro too?

 

 

No Kuro, as I have the Kaede and I think it, perhaps, the Kuro will be a side grade at best.

 

The Shure 846 is the IEM that I am most excited about actuallynormal_smile%20.gif  

post #598 of 3046

Guys, can you take your argument to PM. This isn't the SE535 thread or the "importance of upper frequency extension" thread.

post #599 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

You're now insisting that 20khz is vital when most people over 30 yrs old (reportedly) can't hear over 17khz (with 17k being useless high-pitched noise).

Shure reports the response to 19khz on the 535 so clearly these are not the IEMs for you and your "air instrument".  So why exactly are you posting on this thread about the new SE846? I mean, shouldn't you be on the IEM to 20khz thread?

It's not only the fact that it caps at 15k but the fact that it really looses presence past 10k (the roll off many report) Overtones are there, these subdue it. Why can't flaws be accepted? Why can't the discussion be kept a mature respectable level?
Edited by Inks - 5/12/13 at 9:50pm
post #600 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

Guys, can you take your argument to PM. This isn't the SE535 thread or the "importance of upper frequency extension" thread.

And slow down the most electrifying thread in sports entertainment today?

Yes, in jest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)