or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 200

post #2986 of 3180

Yeah, I thought it'd be exactly the opposite.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

 

Why would 'super-isolating' iem be a recipe for hearing loss?

post #2987 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post
 

 

It's an excellent recipe for getting run over by a car tho

post #2988 of 3180

I'd rather get run over by a car than losing my hearing :beyersmile:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

 

It's an excellent recipe for getting run over by a car tho

post #2989 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post
 

 

Reminds me of my professor, he gestured towards another student and said "you don't have to feel sorry for him even if he gets hit by a bus, he's already handed in his thesis"

post #2990 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

 

Why would 'super-isolating' iem be a recipe for hearing loss?

Even with super isolating earphones, to truly drown out loud volumes, you need to still crank up volumes heaps. I have never, even with customs, drowned out a loud train completely. The volume to do so is too loud for me. I keep very careful watch that I never exceed mean 80dB with peaks somewhat higher, but a general average at highest, 80dB. If I were to drown out the backgorund, even with really good isolating earphones, I would need to bump that up to 95dB mean, which is very bad for the hearing.

post #2991 of 3180
People shouldn't play in traffic with or without earphones.

"Super isolating" is the wrong description if the isolation is not that good. I use triple flange hybrid tips and no more than 40% volume on my Note 3.
post #2992 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
 

Even with super isolating earphones, to truly drown out loud volumes, you need to still crank up volumes heaps. I have never, even with customs, drowned out a loud train completely. The volume to do so is too loud for me. I keep very careful watch that I never exceed mean 80dB with peaks somewhat higher, but a general average at highest, 80dB. If I were to drown out the backgorund, even with really good isolating earphones, I would need to bump that up to 95dB mean, which is very bad for the hearing.

 

Super isolating for me was the er6i I had 10ish years ago, I think it has to do with my smaller ears back then and the excellent plastic/rubber triple flange tips. Those were crazy and drowned out so much you can hear your heart beat and that was on the train. Unfortunately I couldn't get near the same isolation with the er4p. The second best were my shure E500, more isolation than the 846, they just don't make them like they used to.

 

The er6i isolation beats the ACS T1 (silicon) customs I had.

 

Anyway I would argue that the more isolation you get, the lower volume music that is needed to drown out most of the noise, hence lower than what you would have had if the iems were not isolating. Of course there will be the occasional loud noise from the train, but I don't try to drown that out, 'normal' listening volume at home (for me) is sufficient to drown out everything apart from the loud bangs such as dropping a piece of heavy wood.

 

80db is around alarm clock level, I don't think my volume reaches that, the truefit tips fitted on my se846 without music on is sufficient to drown out what people talking (40-60db) a metre or 2 in front of me.

 

Edit: I'm still hunting for the magical iems that can drown out the loud relative in the family..... I swear it's 90db when they're around!


Edited by milford30 - 5/22/14 at 7:32am
post #2993 of 3180
I thought you said you have small ears, I could hardly get those er4p inside my ears, it was like having my ears raped by IEMs.

I like using sound isolating IEMs for the same reason, I don't have to turn my music loud when I'm on the bus. In fact I just put them on even without music all the time so I don't have to listen to ppl yelling at each other or to their phones when I'm commuting. The apple earbuds are the ones that make ppl deaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post

Super isolating for me was the er6i I had 10ish years ago, I think it has to do with my smaller ears back then and the excellent plastic/rubber triple flange tips. Those were crazy and drowned out so much you can hear your heart beat and that was on the train. Unfortunately I couldn't get near the same isolation with the er4p. The second best were my shure E500, more isolation than the 846, they just don't make them like they used to.
Anyway I would argue that the more isolation you get, the lower volume music that is needed to drown out most of the noise, hence lower than what you would have had if the iems were not isolating. Of course there will be the occasional loud noise from the train, but I don't try to drown that out, 'normal' listening volume at home (for me) is sufficient to drown out everything apart from the loud bangs such as dropping a piece of heavy wood.
post #2994 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

I thought you said you have small ears, I could hardly get those er4p inside my ears, it was like having my ears raped by IEMs.

I like using sound isolating IEMs for the same reason, I don't have to turn my music loud when I'm on the bus. In fact I just put them on even without music all the time so I don't have to listen to ppl yelling at each other or to their phones when I'm commuting. The apple earbuds are the ones that make ppl deaf.

 

I believe you misunderstood me for my use of the green (small) true fit tips, that is to get a good deep fit and if you look on the westone website the measurements of the green true fit tips are only slightly smaller then the black star tips, I usually use medium olives/star tips/mushrooms.

 

The er4/6 triple flange takes some getting used to, afterwards there were comfortable, but it does get itchy when you sweat, especially the old plastic er6 tips.

 

The main reason I went iem and not headphones was exactly because I didn't want to hear the person next to me on the bus, also I don't want them to hear my music too.

 

I spent 900USD on these (se846) and it's incapable of isolating that loud relative... I want a refund....

post #2995 of 3180

What??? I thought they were pretty good for sound isolation! I use them when I sleep so I don't have to hear my wife watching the TV. I thought they are much better than my Westone 4 and 4R already. But I wouldn't dare to take them outdoor in case I lose them. The only problem is that because of the super low impedance, I get some noise from the iAudio 9 and AK240 even if there's nothing playing.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

I spent 900USD on these (se846) and it's incapable of isolating that loud relative... I want a refund....

post #2996 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post
 

 

That particular relative is sorta deaf, so she yells a the top of her lungs half the time..... unfortunate for me, it's too hot for foam tips here now... and I have *proven without a doubt* she yells at the resonant frequency of the silicon tips so that the transmission rate of the sound waves = 1....

post #2997 of 3180

The foam tips are fine unless I go on the cross trainer for over 5 mins, my whole face and body would be covered in sweat, a good excuse to not do cardio for over 5 mins in order to keep my IEMs safe and dry. ;-)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

That particular relative is sorta deaf, so she yells a the top of her lungs half the time..... unfortunate for me, it's too hot for foam tips here now... and I have *proven without a doubt* she yells at the resonant frequency of the silicon tips so that the transmission rate of the sound waves = 1....

post #2998 of 3180

I'm glad that you are listening responsibly. I was at the Fujiya Festival and one of my comrades listened to music from a Vorzüge amp at 80-90% and thought he wasn't listening loud. I meet so many people on these forums that listen to music at insane levels and justify it by saying: 'but my earphones isolate, so I'm listening to safe levels.' I've not used a NOTE, but I would assume that 40% is still under 85dB. The Shure SE846 are very sensitive. I never took them above 1/5 on my iPod, but the difference between the two is minimal. Still, I always hear something of the background no matter what I have plugged in. It's a litmus test for me of what is too loud.

post #2999 of 3180
I was told when I was doing my sound engineering course to always protect my hearing, my tutor used to say "loss of hearing means the end of your career" so I always take great care in doing so. Back in the old days ppl used to mix with insane SPL, 105dB+, and I'd always be wearing my earplugs. I'd wear earplugs whenever I'm in noisy environment, bars, clubs and concerts, sometimes cinemas too. I always use my UE SPL meter, a very useful app which is free too. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I'm glad that you are listening responsibly. I was at the Fujiya Festival and one of my comrades listened to music from a Vorzüge amp at 80-90% and thought he wasn't listening loud. I meet so many people on these forums that listen to music at insane levels and justify it by saying: 'but my earphones isolate, so I'm listening to safe levels.' I've not used a NOTE, but I would assume that 40% is still under 85dB. The Shure SE846 are very sensitive. I never took them above 1/5 on my iPod, but the difference between the two is minimal. Still, I always hear something of the background no matter what I have plugged in. It's a litmus test for me of what is too loud.
post #3000 of 3180

I have had the Shure SE535's for about 3 years now & with the SE846's out I think its time for an upgrade. 

 

The problem is I really am not fond of the clear style of the 846's. I much rather prefer the bronze coating of the 535's.

 

Does anyone think there will be another colour choice or has there been any speculation on it?

Or should I get the clear SE856's this weekend?

 

Thanks alot

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)