Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 196

post #2926 of 3040

The low point on the 846 impedance sweep is 4ohm.  Yes output impedance of the amplifier matters... a lot =)

post #2927 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanc View Post
 

the retina macbook pro has incredibly high output impedance, I remember plugging in multi-ba's into mine and it would get really muddy and dark, I'm surprised it made the SE846 sound natural to you :confused_face(1):

 

That is weird. I don't hear a big bass boost. What is the output impedance of the 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2013, Haswell version)? The bass is a little bit stronger in comparison to the iPhone 5S, but not alot.

post #2928 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post

That is weird. I don't hear a big bass boost. What is the output impedance of the 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2013, Haswell version)? The bass is a little bit stronger in comparison to the iPhone 5S, but not alot.

Tech specs just say <24ohms, so probably somewhere in lower 20s to high teens, which is quite high for the sensitive se846.
post #2929 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanc View Post


Tech specs just say <24ohms, so probably somewhere in lower 20s to high teens, which is quite high for the sensitive se846.

Looks like the impedance of 846 is way less than the jack.  This can't be good.  

 

post #2930 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanc View Post


Tech specs just say <24ohms, so probably somewhere in lower 20s to high teens, which is quite high for the sensitive se846.

 

Do you got a link for that? I could only find a website from 2012 which used as source some post from 2009 from the apple site (so it's not reliable info). Btw,  Apple changed the headphone output for the 2013 Haswell Retina Macbook Pro as it's now part of the Logic board. If you have the older 2012 Ivy Bridge Retina Macbook pro, that could explain why it sounds dark and muddy? 


Edited by ubs28 - 5/3/14 at 1:20pm
post #2931 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Looks like the impedance of 846 is way less than the jack.  This can't be good.  

 

 

I think his numbers are off. The iPhone 5S has an impedance of 2.30 ohms and the Shure SE846 sounds the same on both my 2013 15" Retina Macbook and iPhone 5S, unlike my Apogee One which turns the Shure SE846 into bass monsters. I can safely say that the output impedance of my 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro is nowhere near 20 ohms, more closer to 5 ohms I'd say.


Edited by ubs28 - 5/3/14 at 1:33pm
post #2932 of 3040

They're right and verified by other measurement sites.

post #2933 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

They're right and verified by other measurement sites.

Do you got a link perhaps for the 15" Haswell Retina Macbook pro since I"m quite sceptical about it. I would expect it to sound bassy and muddy if it has 20 ohm impedance and not sound like my iPhone 5S that has 2,30 ohms :)

 

Or maybe I won the headphone output lottery if Apple uses multiple manufactures (such as with display and SSD's for example)


Edited by ubs28 - 5/3/14 at 1:53pm
post #2934 of 3040

Even with something as high as 20ohm it's a 9dB variance from sub bass to low treble.  Which would make it a Westone UM3X :P

post #2935 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post

Do you got a link perhaps for the 15" Haswell Retina Macbook pro since I"m quite sceptical about it. I would expect it to sound bassy and muddy if it has 20 ohm impedance and not sound like my iPhone 5S that has 2,30 ohms smily_headphones1.gif

Or maybe I won the headphone output lottery if Apple uses multiple manufactures (such as with display and SSD's for example)
Oh, you have haswell retina. Then I am not sure about haswell. At least for ivy bridge retina the output impedance is indeed very high.
post #2936 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Even with something as high as 20ohm it's a 9dB variance from sub bass to low treble.  Which would make it a Westone UM3X :P

Well, the Shure SE846 sounds the same on my Haswell Retina Macbook Pro as with the iPhone 5S. So it doesn't sound like a Westone UM3X. :)

post #2937 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

Well, the Shure SE846 sounds the same on my Haswell Retina Macbook Pro as with the iPhone 5S. So it doesn't sound like a Westone UM3X. :)

I have Haswell Retina Macbook Pro as well, it sound just you said, balanced, not dark. Also there is a lot of headroom for the headphone output with SE846

post #2938 of 3040

The reason I was asking how SE846 source dependent earlier was I have read about the DACport DAC/headamp that everyone suggested the 1 Ohm mod. OK, I went got the 1 Ohm version, I found it dose improve the sound overall from compare to headphone out of my Macbook. The HP out of newer Macbook is decent actually. Only problem I have now is this setup is little bright. I feel the tonal balance is tilt toward to treble a little bit. The mid bass hump is not exsting (good or bad, I don't know yet). I wish the bass can be little more in quantity. I email the CEntrance, Theycan custom mak any inpediance between 1 to 10 Ohm maybe more. Have these choices on hand. I am here to asking suggestions. Thanks.

post #2939 of 3040

If it's too bright for you, pop in the blue or black filter.  

post #2940 of 3040
I am already on blue, from what i understad the blackwill block the HF and not increase LF
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)