Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 187

post #2791 of 3046

I always wondered why iems come with angled plugs.  What is the utility in them?  I personally prefer straight.  

post #2792 of 3046

Harder to snap the plug with so little leverage.  A straight plug is pretty easy to snap by accident.  More convenient though.

post #2793 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaTou069 View Post
 

 

I wanted a single ended 90 degree plug, since I dont know the differences he sent me a picture of all of them. I chose this one: 

But maybe I'll mail im for this one, looks smaller...

 

Do you know the differences? Didn't wanted to bother Ted with more questions :)

How is your Amp? Do you have a balanced source also? How different is the 846 ins balanced  mode?

 

thanks

 

I don't know anything about the top connecter but....

 

...if the second (lower) one is a *Genuine* Made in Japan Oyaide Rhodium (P-3.5SRL) then I would pick that one. The silver Rhodium plating is superior to typical Gold plating and Oyaide plugs are non-magnetic and very high quality. Beware of Chinese Oyaide fakes though.

post #2794 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I always wondered why iems come with angled plugs.  What is the utility in them?  I personally prefer straight.  

 

Well, it's for portable/mobile use mostly. So putting something in your pocket that sticks out isn't the best choice.

And if you have a FiiO E18 like me where on one side the usb cable is and on the other side the headphone out, you don't want two sides with sticks sticking out, one is enough

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

I don't know anything about the top connecter but....

 

...if the second (lower) one is a *Genuine* Made in Japan Oyaide Rhodium (P-3.5SRL) then I would pick that one. The silver Rhodium plating is superior to typical Gold plating and Oyaide plugs are non-magnetic and very high quality. Beware of Chinese Oyaide fakes though.

 

interesting. Ted said that it's really only a cosmetic differences in plugs and that others might like rhodium over gold but its a looks thing mostly

What is superior to Rhodium?

post #2795 of 3046

So here is a question...Is it wrong to use the bass and treble on the Fiio X3 to adjust the sound to boost the high and low ends with the Fiio X3 -> Shure SE846 direct? I tried to avoid doing it, but then I did and liked the sound better with boosted bass and treble. I get the feeling that maybe I shouldn't be spending $1000 on IEM's if I am not going to use them with no EQ. Any thoughts are appreciated.

 

Y2J

post #2796 of 3046

Not sure if Fiio X3 does any justice to great IEMs, but I believe in having a high end headphones available to test out the audio sources you obtain.  The high end stuff will reveal the truth of the source.  The low end stuff, you can play around with it with different sources and outputs, but can never know as you don't have one part in the chain to deduce if the source or the headphones are not good.  That's the problem with low end stuff, it's kind of having a blind eye in pin-pointing what is good or not.

 

As you reach the peak with the right headphones.  You start comparing sources, and you go for better and check to see what you get next is actually better.  That's after you find the right transparent headphones.  Then once you find a great source and need to upgrade headphones, you already know the source is good.  It's a zig-zag, and never ending.  It's very bad on your wallet.  :( 

 

I've just come to realized this after I took a risk with TG334 and the SE846.  You will never know unless you take a plunge.  Good Luck!  :beyersmile: 

 

Also you must be aware if you have bad sources, getting high end, you may get the wrong idea of the headphones since your source might not be good.  You have to try out many things to test it's full potential of the gear.  One source I recommend that is very reliable is the ODAC/O2.  You can start out from there and test some high end headphones.


Edited by SilverEars - 3/22/14 at 6:44am
post #2797 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post

So here is a question...Is it wrong to use the bass and treble on the Fiio X3 to adjust the sound to boost the high and low ends with the Fiio X3 -> Shure SE846 direct? I tried to avoid doing it, but then I did and liked the sound better with boosted bass and treble. I get the feeling that maybe I shouldn't be spending $1000 on IEM's if I am not going to use them with no EQ. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Y2J
The EQ function is intended to compensate the freq response to obtain a flat response: Equal = being the same in quantity, size, degree, or value. EQ is really useful with speakers cos it helps to fix room interactions. In the case of headphones it make sense if the freq response of the headphone excited or restrict some frequencies.
In the other hand, some low end sources are designed to sound bad without the boost effects so you feel a lot improvement tuning them on.
So my advice is that if you like it use it but definitely you need to try the SE846 with a better source to judge the quality of the sound you're actually getting with the Fiio.
post #2798 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaTou069 View Post
 

 

Well, it's for portable/mobile use mostly. So putting something in your pocket that sticks out isn't the best choice.

 

I actually like it standing out straight out of my pocket, when it's angled it's too awkward.  :redface:

post #2799 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermelom View Post


The EQ function is intended to compensate the freq response to obtain a flat response: Equal = being the same in quantity, size, degree, or value. EQ is really useful with speakers cos it helps to fix room interactions. In the case of headphones it make sense if the freq response of the headphone excited or restrict some frequencies.
In the other hand, some low end sources are designed to sound bad without the boost effects so you feel a lot improvement tuning them on.
So my advice is that if you like it use it but definitely you need to try the SE846 with a better source to judge the quality of the sound you're actually getting with the Fiio.

 

What better source would you reccomend that would pair well with the SE846?

post #2800 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
 

 

What better source would you reccomend that would pair well with the SE846?


Everything I've read about the FIIO X5 makes it sound like an excellent all in one DAP for a very affordable price ($350) with many people saying it outperforms the AK100 which is more expensive. This is the pairing I plan on using though the X5 hasn't been released yet in the US so I can't give any impressions yet.

post #2801 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaTou069 View Post
 

interesting. Ted said that it's really only a cosmetic differences in plugs and that others might like rhodium over gold but its a looks thing mostly

What is superior to Rhodium?

 

Oyaide Rhodium plugs are Silver + Rhodium plating, not Gold. Gold plugs are Gold plating on brass.

 

Reasons why Rhodium+Silver is better than Gold:

 

1.) Rhodium is (4) times harder than Gold. Lasts longer on a plug than Gold.

 

2.) Silver is the best conductor there is.  Gold is even worse than Copper.

 

3.) Rhodium is impervious to corrosion.Gold is only used to minimize corrosion...and the 'Bling' factor.

 

4.) Rhodium is (10) times the cost of Gold. 

 

...any more questions?

post #2802 of 3046

I mailed Ted to change to the bottom one, its a Rhodium version of the 90 degree plug. I think this one is looking nicer then the oyaide:

 

 

Good Choice? :)

post #2803 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post

What better source would you reccomend that would pair well with the SE846?
I agree, the X5 sounds like a great option. If you had a chance to try a HM901 do it, several here says that it's the best DAP but also there's a lot of complains of the UI. Also, for comparative purporses, you should try a Samsung Galaxy (Note 2 or 3 better) with "Neutron MP" an audiophile player available on the play store (5 days evaluation).
I would say, to pair with the SE846:
Note 2 with Neutron MP = Good
Note 2 with Neutron MP + Pico DAC/Amp = Very Good
HM901 with IEM card = Excellent
post #2804 of 3046

Anyone used the 846's with the Apex Glacier?  Looking for a good, portable amp/dac combo to use with my 846's at work, and bring home and use with my HD700's around the house when I'm not at my desk.  I currently use a dragonfly paired with either my shadow or hornet, but would like to sell the hornet and dragonfly to combine into a single unit.  The Glacier seems to best fit what I'm looking for, and as a bonus, seems like it will work with my android phone also when I don't want to carry my DX50/Shadow stack with me.

post #2805 of 3046

If you have tried Neutron App on your smartphone?  It sounds excellent on my S4

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)