Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 176

post #2626 of 3050

Yeah, neither do I. But fully agree that it's dangerous buying from non-authorized dealers.

 

Back to the music now. :)

post #2627 of 3050
as information "TruckDriver" agiprodj.com is an authorized Shure dealer.
post #2628 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post


Turns out I had not properly installed the black filters when measuring....my bad.

New measurements are up at HeadRoom and InnerFidelity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846BlackFilterSampleB.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846BlueFilterSample2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

Tyll,

Thank you for the update. Any chance either you or joker are going to review the 846?

Also, I want to thank you as I began my headfi journey by going to InnerFidelity two years ago. It was your recommendation on your Wall of Fame that led me to the SE535. Your explanations and reviews are both informative and extremely helpful.
post #2629 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

I have no evidence that Shure is not being responsive, do you? Shure has responded to me each and every time I called in the 10 years I've dealt with them. There's one guy saying they won't answer the phone (which if he thinks they are like Walmart and open around the clock, he's probably calling at the wrong time).

And again, I was not directing my first comment at him but more as a caution to people who might want to buy a "discounted" IEM from some fly-by-night online seller.

I agree Truck my friend.

Truck we can lead them to water but we cannot make them drink.
post #2630 of 3050

Hey Spook, good news for me. The black filter is now the bassy one? I mean, it's now the bassy one, yay!

 

You didn't think it was the bassy one before like me, right? It seems like more evidence that the new one is not like the old one, eh?

 

I still haven't tried the black filter yet. I'm almost scared too. Ha!

post #2631 of 3050

Imagine that, the one Shure calls warm, is the warmest ;)

 

Warm:  The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

 

Dark: A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency.

post #2632 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

Turns out I had not properly installed the black filters when measuring....my bad.

 

Same 846 or newer batch?  Phase is still wonky for the treble ba compared to GE.

 

 

Unrelated... quite bummed the ciem group didn't get scoped :(  If nothing else we would have seen if freqPhase works as advertised.  Feel free to read that as I'm scared to buy ciems unheard without measurments to firm up other people's opinions ;)  

post #2633 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Imagine that, the one Shure calls warm, is the warmest ;)

 

Warm:  The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

 

Dark: A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency.

 

The black filter is (and was) the warm one. That was not in dispute. I wrote the word "bassy" (as in elevated levels of lower bass).

 

Your posted definition of warm does not include the word "bass".

 

I heard the black filter on my previous 846 before I saw a chart showing it was not as elevated in the sub-bass as the other two filters. When I did see the chart, I thought it was true to what I heard with the actual filter. That was with the oid 846. The new 846 doesn't sound as bassy with the neutral filter as the old one. So I don't know....


Edited by truckdriver - 3/2/14 at 11:04am
post #2634 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

Hey Spook, good news for me. The black filter is now the bassy one? I mean, it's now the bassy one, yay!

You didn't think it was the bassy one before like me, right? It seems like more evidence that the new one is not like the old one, eh?

I still haven't tried the black filter yet. I'm almost scared too. Ha!

Truck we have new SE846s no question.

My new 846 acts as the measurements advertise. I tried the black yesterday and it is much warmer than my usual white. The bass is much more pronounced as the measurements show. I like the black or blue with older (70s) recordings which tend to be brighter with a thiner sound. It is really nice to have three real options now.

I also now believe what I was told by a confidential (but utterly reliable) source back in August that Shure Asia argued with Shure US that the MSRP for the SE846 be set at $2,000 not $1,250. Not that I would have paid $1,750 retail but in the 7 months I have owned the 846 I have not for a moment regretted buying it.
post #2635 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
 

Your posted definition of warm does not include the word "bass".

 

so that output diminishes with increasing frequency

 

That's Stereophile for bass heavy, treble light.  Filters can't affect bass only treble but bass level is relative to treble so if you leave the bass alone but drop the rest you effectively get bassier.  In full range speakers it would be like keeping the subwoofer volume alone but dropping the volume of the main speakers... bassier.

post #2636 of 3050

Ironically, I would have been too pissed to pay $2000 last August, but here I am now wondering whether to buy a backup because of a potential detect (for a total of $2000).

post #2637 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

so that output diminishes with increasing frequency

 

That's Stereophile for bass heavy, treble light.  Filters can't affect bass only treble but bass level is relative to treble so if you leave the bass alone but drop the rest you effectively get bassier.  In full range speakers it would be like keeping the subwoofer volume alone but dropping the volume of the main speakers... bassier.

 

It also talks about across the entire spectrum (not just the bass region).

 

The bass doesn't have to bleed into the mids and highs for an earphone to be warmer. For example, I think the E5c is warmer than the blue and white filters of the 846 due to the midrange warmth ( thicker vocals). The E5c can't do what the 846 can do down low (in the sub-bass region). I haven't compared the mid-bass but it is possible that the E5c has a thicker mid-bass (making it an overall warmer IEM in my book). That is, warmer than 2 of the 3 filters of the 846.


Edited by truckdriver - 3/2/14 at 11:46am
post #2638 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

Ironically, I would have been too pissed to pay $2000 last August, but here I am now wondering whether to buy a backup because of a potential detect (for a total of $2000).

Why buy a backup? Except for Goldendarko, with less than a week turnaround from Shure service I do not even and would not give it a second thought. I say this and I am the most risk adverse person you will ever meet.
post #2639 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
 

Ironically, I would have been too pissed to pay $2000 last August, but here I am now wondering whether to buy a backup because of a potential detect (for a total of $2000).

That doesn't sound too brainful and smart in the head, lol. If you bought from an authorized dealer, use that to your full advantage. It is pointless to buy two of the same IEMS in the same warranty period. 

post #2640 of 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Same 846 or newer batch?  Phase is still wonky for the treble ba compared to GE.




Unrelated... quite bummed the ciem group didn't get scoped frown.gif  If nothing else we would have seen if freqPhase works as advertised.  Feel free to read that as I'm scared to buy ciems unheard without measurments to firm up other people's opinions wink.gif  

Solude I too have always wanted to see the charts for CIEMs but other than the JH-16 from Golden Ears I have never seen one. I understand why not still it would be helpful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)