Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 151

post #2251 of 3042

If you're in Taiwan and wish to try them, now's the moment:

 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519720271454847

post #2252 of 3042

Thanks for feedbacks guys.And I love bass much.I listen deep house,progressive house,trance,minimal,chill out,jazz,trip hop,electronic,acid jazz etc.Do you suggest 846 for these genres ?

And if 846 feels better than 535,I will be so happy. :etysmile:

 

Are 846's trebles and mids better than IE800 ? Did anyone compare them ?


Edited by high-fidelity - 11/10/13 at 2:39am
post #2253 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

The 846 has a very low impedance and is very sensitive to the specs of the source.

The 846 sounded rubbish with the iPhone 5s (extremely bright with no bass and no mid texture) and the se535 thrashes it completely.
 

I wonder if the 5s sounds that different than the iphone 5...

 

Through the iphone 5, the bass was indeed thunderous, even with the white filter. It was excessive to my usual habits, but I got used to it and enjoy it for commuting. I wouldn't want any more lushness really...

post #2254 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I wonder if the 5s sounds that different than the iphone 5...

Through the iphone 5, the bass was indeed thunderous, even with the white filter. It was excessive to my usual habits, but I got used to it and enjoy it for commuting. I wouldn't want any more lushness really...

I do not know about the 5s or 5c but when I switched from the iPhone 5 to the iPod Touch 5th generation the bass toned down and the sound is great. Not surprising considering the difference in output impedance between the iPhone 5 at about 3.7 to the iPod 5th at .75.

Edit: I know it has been posted here before but anyone interested in the SE846 needs to be mindful of the incredibly low imput impedance of 9 on the 846. For myself, I first contacted ClieOS in May here at Head-Fi to understand how impendace matching (or mismatching) effects the sound. I then called Ray Samuels to make sure I would not have a problem pairing the SE846 with the RSA Protector.

Post script: After extensive A/B listening between the iPhone 5 and the iPod Touch 5th, both sound great with the blue filters, the iPhone 5 has a warming sound with greater bass impact while the iPod 5th is materially more balanced. It all depends on the sound your like.
Edited by spook76 - 11/10/13 at 4:09pm
post #2255 of 3042

 

Are there any specialty hifi outlets allow customers to pay in installment? I'm kinda tempted to get the 846s but I can't fork out 1000 bucks upfront. so are stores that provide it?

post #2256 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfki View Post
 

 

Are there any specialty hifi outlets allow customers to pay in installment? I'm kinda tempted to get the 846s but I can't fork out 1000 bucks upfront. so are stores that provide it?

 

Wow, already changed your mind?

Local folks call it the "poison"... Haha

post #2257 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by high-fidelity View Post
 

Thanks for feedbacks guys.And I love bass much.I listen deep house,progressive house,trance,minimal,chill out,jazz,trip hop,electronic,acid jazz etc.Do you suggest 846 for these genres ?

And if 846 feels better than 535,I will be so happy. :etysmile:

 

Are 846's trebles and mids better than IE800 ? Did anyone compare them ?

 

Alright, the IE800 have a bigger bass than the SE846. (if you are a serious basshead).

The 846, in my opinion have a better tonality as the IE800 have a rather significant sibilant problem.

I can see the IE800 being a good earphones but as many have mentioned, including the famous Tyll

at innerfidelity, the sibilance and bass MIGHT be a problem, depending on personal tastes so I can't say

anything till you hear them out yourself. 

 

I don't recommend blind buying a pair of 4-digit earphones.

post #2258 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

Alright, the IE800 have a bigger bass than the SE846. (if you are a serious basshead).
The 846, in my opinion have a better tonality as the IE800 have a rather significant sibilant problem.
I can see the IE800 being a good earphones but as many have mentioned, including the famous Tyll
at innerfidelity, the sibilance and bass MIGHT be a problem, depending on personal tastes so I can't say
anything till you hear them out yourself. 

I don't recommend blind buying a pair of 4-digit earphones.

Myap,

I found same sibilance with the treble on the ie800. The shallow eartips and non replaceable cables were also a problem. To me I cannot understand why Sennheiser after designing replaceable cables with the ie80 did not with the ie800.
post #2259 of 3042
Keep in the usual caveat: other people's ears are not your ears.

For years, I couldn't stand the Shure IEM sound signature because - compared to my many years of familiarity with the Sennheiser Sound - the Shures just sounded incredibly honky in the mid-range.

As I expanded my tastes, I realized that what seemed like honkiness could also be construed as presence and detail, and had its virtues alongside Sennheiser's.

It all depends on what you like, for what kind of music, under what conditions; the differences I suspect between the SE846 and IE800 are distinct for different people, you really have to try them out yourself.
post #2260 of 3042
Copperears,

Having owed both the ie800 and the SE846 I could not agree more. The best judge of sound is your own ears hence why I tried them both.
post #2261 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post
 

 

Alright, the IE800 have a bigger bass than the SE846. (if you are a serious basshead).

The 846, in my opinion have a better tonality as the IE800 have a rather significant sibilant problem.

I can see the IE800 being a good earphones but as many have mentioned, including the famous Tyll

at innerfidelity, the sibilance and bass MIGHT be a problem, depending on personal tastes so I can't say

anything till you hear them out yourself. 

 

I don't recommend blind buying a pair of 4-digit earphones.

 

I and many with me don't have a sibilance problem. The treble is slightly thin but never harsh or sibilant.

 

From Tyll:

"I find these earphones quite good, but a bit unusual. They're a tad bright for me (which means they're probably just right for most), but are not harsh sounding. (I liked them WAY more then the AKG K3003.) They do have an interesting sparkle to them, and initial measurements reveal some unusual artifacts"

 

From Joker's innerfidelity review:

"To me, however, the treble has a slightly "brittle" and "splashy" character. It is not harsh or sibilant—perhaps surprisingly so—but seems to accentuate some of the crash and subsequent ringing of cymbals, for example"

 

There are members who keep mentioning IE800s sibilance and it surprises me every time.

 

I heard two member by now who had the IE800 and SE846 at the same time who preferred the IE800 sound and sold of or returned the Shure btw.

I'm hoping I will get a chance to hear them for myself but it seems it will take a while for a launch in Sweden.

 

Agreed about not blind buying this expensive in-ear.


Edited by Sweden - 11/11/13 at 7:08am
post #2262 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
 

 

I and many with me don't have a sibilance problem. The treble is slightly thin but never harsh or sibilant.

 

From Tyll:

"I find these earphones quite good, but a bit unusual. They're a tad bright for me (which means they're probably just right for most), but are not harsh sounding. (I liked them WAY more then the AKG K3003.) They do have an interesting sparkle to them, and initial measurements reveal some unusual artifacts"

 

From Joker's innerfidelity review:

"To me, however, the treble has a slightly "brittle" and "splashy" character. It is not harsh or sibilant—perhaps surprisingly so—but seems to accentuate some of the crash and subsequent ringing of cymbals, for example"

 

There are members who keep mentioning IE800s sibilance and it surprises me every time.

 

I heard two member by now who had the IE800 and SE846 at the same time who preferred the IE800 sound and sold of or returned the Shure btw.

I'm hoping I will get a chance to hear them for myself but it seems it will take a while for a launch in Sweden.

 

Agreed about not blind buying this expensive in-ear.

 

Just went down to test out the IE800 ... comparing it with the SE846 i would say the ie800 definitely has more details in the highs .. but similar to what tyll mentioned it does sound a little harsh.

For me i'll keep the SE846 over the IE800. Ran the IE800 direct from my ak120.

post #2263 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonljj View Post
 

 

Just went down to test out the IE800 ... comparing it with the SE846 i would say the ie800 definitely has more details in the highs .. but similar to what tyll mentioned it does sound a little harsh.

For me i'll keep the SE846 over the IE800. Ran the IE800 direct from my ak120.


Read what Tyll wrote again sir.

post #2264 of 3042

opps sorry i mis read then ... haha i find the IE800 a bit harsh ... so its just me .. haha

post #2265 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonljj View Post
 

opps sorry i mis read then ... haha i find the IE800 a bit harsh ... so its just me .. haha

 

No I heard a few more say the same thing. You are not confusing brittleness with sibilance?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)