Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 146

post #2176 of 3040

Of course.

post #2177 of 3040
Personally not pound for pound match but rather close up the gap ... but imo they did a pretty decent job and its damn close match ... you really got to hear to feel it
post #2178 of 3040

stupid browser, lost what I typed. well it'll be short: 846 is no 009, I enjoy both equally. I got underwhelmed for a short while after the honeymoon was over with the 846 but it sounds supremely satisfying overall (sins of omission maybe but much better than sins of commission). Sub-bass was an issue, I got used to it or it toned down with the hours (probably the former as 009 sound bass light when I got back to it weeks later). The iem response is heavily influenced by the DAP/amp output z (beware of balanced drive, it doubles the output z afaik and this may not be what this iem needs to shine).

post #2179 of 3040

Where do they stand against Ultrasone IQ ?

post #2180 of 3040

So, you guys are saying that it can match up the hybrids like UM Merlin in terms of bass quality? I mean quality, rather than quantity, in this case ;)

post #2181 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post
 

Are they as good as high end full-size headphones ?

 

No way near. Full size headphone win hand down.


Edited by NewForce - 10/5/13 at 3:02am
post #2182 of 3040

 

Wow to my ears, I feel flagship Shure IEM are more intimate than the full size cans but again I may set up my gears wrong. 

Seriously a 1000 buck flagship IEM and their corporate vision wasn't even trying to beat the full size earphones is just beyond me!

post #2183 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfki View Post
Seriously a 1000 buck flagship IEM and their corporate vision wasn't even trying to beat the full size earphones is just beyond me!

There is no point in an IEM trying to beat full-sized headphones.  It'll be like a Learjet trying to beat an Antonov in cargo space.

 

2 different high-end audio devices for different uses and needs.

post #2184 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30ernest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfki View Post

Seriously a 1000 buck flagship IEM and their corporate vision wasn't even trying to beat the full size earphones is just beyond me!
There is no point in an IEM trying to beat full-sized headphones.  It'll be like a Learjet trying to beat an Antonov in cargo space.

2 different high-end audio devices for different uses and needs.

Word.
post #2185 of 3040
Any suggestions for a portable balanced amp that doesn't hiss with the 846?
post #2186 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by j60868 View Post

Any suggestions for a portable balanced amp that doesn't hiss with the 846?

I am using the RSA Protector with my 846s and it is dead silent. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The reviews of the RSA F-35 Lightning are the same. If your DAP has balanced output go with the Lightning. If you are you are using a single output from your DAP like me with an iPhone 5 go with the Protector. Both are balanced amps.
post #2187 of 3040

 

They must have a business model, what goal did they set their mind to achieve?

post #2188 of 3040

Similar to spook, its not balanced, but I am very happy with my Shadow.  The build quality and sound are excellent.  Customer service is top notch also.  If I had some money laying around, I would definitely purchase a protector and sell my shadow.


Edited by revolutionz - 10/9/13 at 7:14am
post #2189 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


I am using the RSA Protector with my 846s and it is dead silent. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The reviews of the RSA F-35 Lightning are the same. If your DAP has balanced output go with the Lightning. If you are you are using a single output from your DAP like me with an iPhone 5 go with the Protector. Both are balanced amps.

 

just tested with ak120 single ended output to ALO International and Intruder. Too bad the shop did not stock Lightning or Protector. The International sounds very smooth and clear with a wider soundstage but the Intruder feels harsh to me. Is this due to the burning time required for the Intruder to shine? The Intruder is a stock unit and am using pure silver cables.

post #2190 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by j60868 View Post

just tested with ak120 single ended output to ALO International and Intruder. Too bad the shop did not stock Lightning or Protector. The International sounds very smooth and clear with a wider soundstage but the Intruder feels harsh to me. Is this due to the burning time required for the Intruder to shine? The Intruder is a stock unit and am using pure silver cables.

I would say yes. Ray Samuels recommends 100-200 burn in time on his amps. Once my Protector settled down I would never use another amp and I will never listen unbalanced. All of Ray's amps have a great tubey sound to them.

I also use pure silver OCC cables and silver LOD.

The person to also ask is M_Coupe he just bought the RSA Intruder to pair with his SE846 with OCC silver cables. My burn in was a year ago but his is new as of about a month ago.
Edited by spook76 - 10/9/13 at 12:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)