or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 138

post #2056 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


I didn't hear them that way else I wouldn't have cancelled my 846 pre-order after the advanced demo as I love my lcd3. To me the 846 reminds me more of the d7100. Maybe I should get an extended loaner and fiddle with all the filters and tips to get this lcd3 sound you are getting as it was not even close for me.

The SE846 provides a more distinct sense of space as I find it images better than the 334's. It's not quite as thick as the 334 as well. Both are great iem's, but I prefer the Shure's customizable options and the fit is superior for my ears. I'd place the 846 anywhere between the LCD3-LCD2.2. It's really the speed that makes me incline towards the LCD3 as every instrument is well defined whereas the LCD2 is somewhat more like being enclosed in a hall between two walls of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post

 

If this is true, then I definitely need to pick up a set eventually.  I've been pretty happy with the fitear TG334 and the Parterre thus far for my recent IEM upgrade....but if these have a closer sig to the LCD3, count me in.

I say give it a try. I only tried my friend's 334! twice, and I'd say it's darker than both the LCD3 and 846; but it's still top notch! I recommend you try them out before spending your money because of what I've said!

post #2057 of 3180

Im running my 846's out of a RSA Shadow amp, from LOD on a Sony F series Walkman(Neutron music player).  I find that with the balanced filter in, and through the amp, I get a very smooth, spacious neutral sound.  No frequency seems to overpower another, unless I start fiddling with the EQ.  I don't see myself changing this setup for quite some time.

post #2058 of 3180
Sorry but this talk of an iem ousting a solid flagship is crazy imo. LCD's are hardly my favorite headphone but driven by a Dynahi or Beta even it far surpasses any of my 3 customs and certainly every universal I've heard. Greater dynamics (especially in the macro sense), more resolving, far more holographic all the common advantages of a full size flagship over in ears. Wish it wasn't so as I use iems very often, but the tradeoffs are substantial to say the least.
post #2059 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post

Sorry but this talk of an iem ousting a solid flagship is crazy imo. LCD's are hardly my favorite headphone but driven by a Dynahi or Beta even it far surpasses any of my 3 customs and certainly every universal I've heard. Greater dynamics (especially in the macro sense), more resolving, far more holographic all the common advantages of a full size flagship over in ears. Wish it wasn't so as I use iems very often, but the tradeoffs are substantial to say the least.
Yep as you say it is your opinion.
post #2060 of 3180
As ever, anything I say is in my opinion. I do have a fairly good frame of reference, but hardly looking to convert anyone.
post #2061 of 3180

music_4321, 

 

Would you please tone down on your sarcasm. Not everyone in the world has the time and/or linguistic dexterity to manoeuvre through all that, especially on an online platform discussing personal opinions regarding a technical subject.


Edited by LouisLoh - 9/6/13 at 12:45am
post #2062 of 3180

At last, frequency response data of SE846 from myself, in collaboration with SEEKO. Measured with B&K 4157 (IEC 60318-4) occluded ear simulator at the reference plane:

 

 

As you can tell, the effect of the extra woofer can be well-observed in the low frequency range. SE846's treble extension.. is, unfortunately, as good as that of SE420, if not worse.

 

 

 

 

And here's a comparison between each filters, compensated with a conventional diffuse-field reference on the left, and with Harman's reference target on the right.


Edited by udauda - 9/6/13 at 3:04am
post #2063 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by udauda View Post

At last, frequency response data of SE846 from myself, in collaboration with SEEKO.

Thanks for sharing these. I think they do collaborate with what I heard.
post #2064 of 3180
Nice ! I love me my sub bass smily_headphones1.gif this also shows what I hear- a beautiful sub bass + mids centric phone.
post #2065 of 3180
Udauda: isn't the frequency axis of the first graph comparing the 846 and 535 messed up?

I say this because if I was to trust it, I'd need to convince myself the 846 doesn't produce sound above 7kHz... wink.gif
post #2066 of 3180
Also, how many hours was it run in prior to measurement? I can audibly hear a reduction in LF volume every day (running pink noise overnight). I feel like it went a good 3dB down from the first evening (probably ran it for something like 50 hours so far).
post #2067 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Udauda: isn't the frequency axis of the first graph comparing the 846 and 535 messed up?

I say this because if I was to trust it, I'd need to convince myself the 846 doesn't produce sound above 7kHz... wink.gif

 

No, it's a log scale, so people have to remember they're not seeing 1000 Hz increments. Rin should probably change them to a 10-100000 graph (and just clip to 20-20000) to make the intervals regular so that people can read it instantly.


Edited by tomscy2000 - 9/6/13 at 4:54am
post #2068 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

No, it's a log scale, so people have to remember they're not seeing 1000 Hz increments. Rin should probably change them to a 10-100000 graph (and just clip to 20-20000) to make the intervals regular so that people can read it instantly.

I know what's log scale alright, please smily_headphones1.gif. The 2 base is indeed weird setting, but count for yourself, the 10kHz actual roll lines up on the 7kHz line for this graph.
post #2069 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post

Sorry but this talk of an iem ousting a solid flagship is crazy imo. LCD's are hardly my favorite headphone but driven by a Dynahi or Beta even it far surpasses any of my 3 customs and certainly every universal I've heard. Greater dynamics (especially in the macro sense), more resolving, far more holographic all the common advantages of a full size flagship over in ears. Wish it wasn't so as I use iems very often, but the tradeoffs are substantial to say the least.
I'm not saying it's better, but the frequency response is comparable to the LCD's and the graphs kinf of relate to that now too. I do find the 846 faster than the LCD2's, doesn't mean it's better per se.
post #2070 of 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
 

music_4321, 

 

Would you please tone down on your sarcasm. Not everyone in the world has the time and/or linguistic dexterity to manoeuvre through all that, especially on an online platform discussing personal opinions regarding a technical subject.

 

Some of us happen to enjoy the sarcasm... along with the wisdom behind it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)