Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 121

post #1801 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

So nice sarcasm except it takes a Ouija board, a slide rule and consultation with the Oracle at Delphi to realize it.

 

 

I think it takes a lot less than that, but then that's just maybe because I'm not a solicitor / barrister.

 

Of course looking at the IEMs in my sig... and then there's something called Google... but I guess that's far too esoteric these days. More esoteric even would've been to check the first few posts of the thread I mentioned twice.

 

But hey, we both luuuv King Crimson, so we can still be pals, though my guess is we like KC for very different reasons...

post #1802 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post


I think it takes a lot less than that, but then that's just maybe because I'm not a solicitor / barrister.

Of course looking at the IEMs in my sig... and then there's something called Google... but I guess that's far too esoteric these days. More esoteric even would've been to check the first few posts of the thread I mentioned twice.

But hey, we both luuuv King Crimson, so we can still be pals, though my guess is we like KC for very different reasons...

What other reason to love KC other than their cutting edge experimental sound and Bill Bruford on drums. Also, they had with Greg Lake then John Wetton two of the smoothest male vocalist in rock oh and guy named Robert Fripp
post #1803 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


What other reason to love KC other than their cutting edge experimental sound and Bill Bruford on drums. Also, they had with Greg Lake then John Wetton two of the smoothest male vocalist in rock oh and guy named Robert Fripp

 

Well, you see, I think RF sucks (with KC or solo).


Edited by music_4321 - 8/17/13 at 4:13pm
post #1804 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Or just a look at his signature....

Unfortunately lnks his signature does NOT appear on the mobile version of Head-Fi when viewed with an iPhone.
post #1805 of 3042

Can we get back to the topic of this thread. Thanks.

post #1806 of 3042

No.

post #1807 of 3042

I'll be getting my SE846's on tuesday (or wednesay). Will post opinions on it vs the AKG K3003i's.

post #1808 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Well, you see, I think RF sucks (with KC or solo).

 

Only joking.

 

------------------

 

And before uelover gets a little too impatient, I'll say that I am curious to hear the SE846s, but not that curious at present, but will most likely try them at some point. Not a fan, as I already noted a while ago, of the cable & connectors, though I know I can get a much more flexible, Westone-type, cable for these IEMs.

post #1809 of 3042
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

...A few points:

 

(+) The bass is great with substantial rumble and thump...

 

I agree with this. I love the SE846's bass performance, and especially its versatility. I don't have another universal-fit IEM that I can think of that can move so effortlessly from Lady Sovereign (yes, I dig Lady Sovereign and was just listening to her) to Nick Drake to Laura Veirs (someone else I've been listening to today) to Brad Mehldau to chamber to symphony orchestras.

 

I've also been listening to Jazz In The New Harmonic by David Chesky--which I was actually in the hall for during much of its recording--and the Shure SE846 reproduces it very well. (Jazz In The New Harmonic is also Stereophile's current Recording of the Month, by the way.)

 

The SE846's bass impact and presence comes solidly alive when called upon, but...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post
...(-) The bass sometimes appear when it is not supposed to. (Happened in one song, a song I use to try all the gear)...

 

...certainly never when not called upon. I'm not sure the phenomenon your trying to describe, but if you could let me know what song you were listening to, I'll pick it up and listen to it myself.

 

I think by calling it "true subwoofer" sound, Shure is leading some to believe this is a heavy, bloated sounding IEM, and it's not. I find the SE846 surprisingly resolving and nimble, and not burdened in any way by its low frequency driver / low-pass filter implementation. Rather, it sounds to me like the low frequency drivers can be extraordinarily impactful when called upon, but, to my ears, the lower mids don't suffer at all for it--rather, the SE846's mids breathe freely, openly.

 

In other words, if I had to liken the SE846's performance to a system that includes subwoofers, I'd say it sounds to me like a properly integrated subwoofer setup. This is not an SPL competition boom-car subwoofer implementation.

 

In short, I do not find the SE846 boomy. At all.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

 

...(-) For the price range (MSRP), the level of clarity is only marginally better than the Westone W4 which is much cheaper, 1/3 the price for that matter.

    [Another headfier, SenG, auditioned the 846 and felt it was less clear than the W4.]...

 

The SE846 is an expensive IEM, yes. And the Westone W4/W4R is a fantastic piece, no doubt, and still one of my top recommendations at its price. To my ears, though, the Shure SE846 is a class above. (And, yes, I have the Westone 4 and 4R here.)

 

Treat the SE846 like the reference headphone I think it is--feed it well.

 

Though I don't often listen to IEMs will sitting at my desk, when I do, it's mostly been through the Benchmark DAC2 HGC lately. That's my current favorite desktop DAC/amp for driving IEMs, as it's very resolving, very versatile, and dead quiet (in terms of background noise).

 

Here's how I've been using the Shure SE846 on-the-go most recently:

 

  • iPod Touch (I think it's a generation or two old--I lose track of which generation's which) -->
  • Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -dB --> Moon Audio Black Dragon with right angle Oyaide mini plugs -->
  • HeadAmp Pico Slim --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon replacement IEM cable -->
  • Shure SE846 (using the gray silicone olive ear tip shown below)

 

I still bounce between the flat and bright nozzles, but still seem to lean toward the latter more often.

 


 

post #1810 of 3042

No, Jude, no matter how hard you try, you just won't get me interested in these boom monsters!

post #1811 of 3042

For those that have heard the SE846:

 

I amp and EQ my SE535 to the "ROCK" setting on the Ipod Classic which is one of the few EQ settings I like that doesn't bring in distortion.

 

When I use the Westone STAR tips I find this combo pretty fabulous.  I am fine on the tonality and clarity across the entire frequency spectrum.  Really no complaints.  If I could change one thing it would be to make the midrange just slightly less forward (more like W4) and add a very slight underlying "fullness of sound" to sort of thicken up the sound more towards a headphone type of presentation.

 

I am presuming comparisons between SE535 and SE848 are with no EQ???  THIS IS A BIG FACTOR!

 

SO MY QUESTION IS ?

 

I fully understand that SE846 is better than SE535.  And that adding EQ to SE846 might be a bad thing.  (but I think some EQ to SE535 can be a good thing)

 

If I add EQ and amping to my SE535 how close can I get to unamped SE846??    75%...85%

 

I am thinking clarity and treble is same (maybe better with SE535?) and it comes down to the bass.

 

Seems like a BIG $$premium for a great fullness of sound to compliment everything that the SE535 already does.

 

Thanks for the comments...


Edited by Spyro - 8/17/13 at 5:46pm
post #1812 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

 

I agree with this. I love the SE846's bass performance, and especially its versatility. I don't have another universal-fit IEM that I can think of that can move so effortlessly from Lady Sovereign (yes, I dig Lady Sovereign and was just listening to her) to Nick Drake to Laura Veirs (someone else I've been listening to today) to Brad Mehldau to chamber to symphony orchestras.

 

I've also been listening to Jazz In The New Harmonic by David Chesky--which I was actually in the hall for during much of its recording--and the Shure SE846 reproduces it very well. (Jazz In The New Harmonic is also Stereophile's current Recording of the Month, by the way.)

 

The SE846's bass impact and presence comes solidly alive when called upon, but...

 

 

...certainly never when not called upon. I'm not sure the phenomenon your trying to describe, but if you could let me know what song you were listening to, I'll pick it up and listen to it myself.

 

I think by calling it "true subwoofer" sound, Shure is leading some to believe this is a heavy, bloated sounding IEM, and it's not. I find the SE846 surprisingly resolving and nimble, and not burdened in any way by its low frequency driver / low-pass filter implementation. Rather, it sounds to me like the low frequency drivers can be extraordinarily impactful when called upon, but, to my ears, the lower mids don't suffer at all for it--rather, the SE846's mids breathe freely, openly.

 

In other words, if I had to liken the SE846's performance to a system that includes subwoofers, I'd say it sounds to me like a properly integrated subwoofer setup. This is not an SPL competition boom-car subwoofer implementation.

 

In short, I do not find the SE846 boomy. At all.

 

 

The SE846 is an expensive IEM, yes. And the Westone W4/W4R is a fantastic piece, no doubt, and still one of my top recommendations at its price. To my ears, though, the Shure SE846 is a class above. (And, yes, I have the Westone 4 and 4R here.)

 

Treat the SE846 like the reference headphone I think it is--feed it well.

 

Though I don't often listen to IEMs will sitting at my desk, when I do, it's mostly been through the Benchmark DAC2 HGC lately. That's my current favorite desktop DAC/amp for driving IEMs, as it's very resolving, very versatile, and dead quiet (in terms of background noise).

 

Here's how I've been using the Shure SE846 on-the-go most recently:

 

  • iPod Touch (I think it's a generation or two old--I lose track of which generation's which) -->
  • Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -dB --> Moon Audio Black Dragon with right angle Oyaide mini plugs -->
  • HeadAmp Pico Slim --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon replacement IEM cable -->
  • Shure SE846 (using the gray silicone olive ear tip shown below)

 

I still bounce between the flat and bright nozzles, but still seem to lean toward the latter more often.

 


 

 

 

Hi Jude, your words do really make me want to try the 846 once more which I would. However, I think the problem maybe that I was driving the 846 directly off an Iphone 4S, maybe the source/amp is the culprit? And maybe the pair I listened to wasn't burned in yet. Those were my impressions and  I never said it was a review as I did not exactly review the 846, I just heard it and stated how I felt. 

 

I think the thing that was the dealbreaker for me, that time, was the lingering bass or unnatural decay of the bass, maybe a nozzle swap will solve it?I dunno, but I might try it.

 

I think I shall not comment anymore and will properly review them once more and give proper comparisons to the FitEar Paterre and W4 and also the 535. 

 

Btw, don't think I am a shure basher. I really want to like the 846 as I was offered an extremely irresistible deal for them.

 

So, Jude, what would you recommend me driving them with to allow them to have their full potential? Is a ALO National enough or do I also need a Cypher Labs Solo (I have no idea where to get one of these around here).

post #1813 of 3042
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

 

Hi Jude, your words do really make me want to try the 846 once more which I would. However, I think the problem maybe that I was driving the 846 directly off an Iphone 4S, maybe the source/amp is the culprit? And maybe the pair I listened to wasn't burned in yet. Those were my impressions and  I never said it was a review as I did not exactly review the 846, I just heard it and stated how I felt. 

 

I think the thing that was the dealbreaker for me, that time, was the lingering bass or unnatural decay of the bass, maybe a nozzle swap will solve it?I dunno, but I might try it.

 

I think I shall not comment anymore and will properly review them once more and give proper comparisons to the FitEar Paterre and W4 and also the 535. 

 

Btw, don't think I am a shure basher. I really want to like the 846 as I was offered an extremely irresistible deal for them.

 

So, Jude, what would you recommend me driving them with to allow them to have their full potential? Is a ALO National enough or do I also need a Cypher Labs Solo (I have no idea where to get one of these around here).

 

myap2328, your experience is no less valid than mine. 100% of us aren't going to like it, and it's quite possible these will never ring your bell.

 

I don't think you have to have a Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo and/or HeadAmp Pico. I would, however, recommend you try some different gear to drive it with (other than just your iPhone 4S), to give it another shot. (Of course, if listening directly from your iPhone is how you want to use your IEM most of the time, then putting together another rig might not be worth your while or expense anyway.)

 

As for the nozzle swap, that's a treble adjustment thing, so I don't think you're going to get much help there. Which song were you listening to, by the way (the one you use to test)?

post #1814 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

myap2328, your experience is no less valid than mine. 100% of us aren't going to like it, and it's quite possible these will never ring your bell.

I don't think you have to have a Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo and/or HeadAmp Pico. I would, however, recommend you try some different gear to drive it with (other than just your iPhone 4S), to give it another shot. (Of course, if listening directly from your iPhone is how you want to use your IEM most of the time, then putting together another rig might not be worth your while or expense anyway.)

As for the nozzle swap, that's a treble adjustment thing, so I don't think you're going to get much help there. Which song were you listening to, by the way (the one you use to test)?

I actually am able to get an ALO National FOC when I purchase the 846 but I forgotten to try them with it. A fire broke out when I was in the midst of my auditioning. So when I got back my thoughts were pretty scattered. I think trying different amps and sources is a good idea.

The song is Levels (original) by Avicii.
The front part has some subbass rumble/midrange punch that sounds quite right on the W4, but extremely heavy on the 846.
post #1815 of 3042
FWIW, a friend of mine tried all the alo amps and ending up buying the national for best synergy. But then she loves her bass- and it doesn't sound like you're as picky about bass.

So far the best synergy I've found is out of the headphone out of my hm901, single ended.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)