Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28) - Page 79

post #1171 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Strong words from someone whose best headphone is a mid-tier sub-$200 phone.

 

Too bad your neighbors will "enjoy" your Beiber tracks along with you.

Let's think of it this way:  Are you going to be getting a better bass response from sitting in a large room with big subwoofers, or from having 4 little subwoofers hermetically sealed in your ear canal?  

Obviously, both experiences are different.  However, the razor sharpness is only something you're really going to get from a CIEM, and that's because of where it is placed.

post #1172 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Strong words from someone whose best headphone is a mid-tier sub-$200 phone.

 

Too bad your neighbors will "enjoy" your Beiber tracks along with you.

 

Let's leave my favourite young canadian lesbian singer out of this alright....

post #1173 of 3040
^^ Nice one!!
post #1174 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

 

Let's leave my favourite young canadian lesbian singer out of this alright....

LOL'd hard.

post #1175 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewForce View Post

 

 

Perhaps jlesnick Hi-Fi system experience explaination has showed some answer to music_4321 concerns.

 

Ask yourself In the first place, why do one purchase extreme price audio equipment? For show-off? For good look?

No, it's just for GREAT SOUND EXPERIENCE !!!

 

So Still there's no way a tiny IEM matching a full Hi-Fi system sound.

Even a headphone price at $2000+, does not give what a great sound experience from a great Hi-Fi system.

In fact it's not even close.

I disagree. I think certain IEMs can provide an experience some hifi systems can't. Of course in some areas such as 3D imaging etc, speakers would win hands down.

post #1176 of 3040

The other thing to remember with higher-end IEMs is that you don't have to worry about room acoustics, a sweet spot, and such.  You just stick the suckers in your ear canal & you're ready to go.  


I will concede that I listen to only electronic music, and that my experience & views would most likely change as you move through the different genres.  There's such an incredible emphasis on the low-end in electronic music that I heavily benefit from something like the JH 16.  If your listening to music that doesn't reach down as much in the lower frequencies, I could completely understand why you might think that there is just no comparison between an IEM & a hifi system.

 

The best example I can think of has nothing do with IEMs, but more with Subwoofers.  My dealer was trying to push the REL G1 on me.  ******* expensive piece of **** if you ask me.  It's not made for me though.  It's made to work with other types of music, and apparently it does it incredibly, but for electronic music its a 300lb paper weight.  He thought the JL F113 was garbage, lucky for me because he let the pair go way, way, way below market.  However the F113 was as an exact match for the music I listen to.

 

We can't forgot that we all have such wildly varying tastes in music, that certain products or even types of products are going to be extremely polarizing.  

post #1177 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlesnick View Post

The other thing to remember with higher-end IEMs is that you don't have to worry about room acoustics, a sweet spot, and such.  You just stick the suckers in your ear canal & you're ready to go.  


I will concede that I listen to only electronic music, and that my experience & views would most likely change as you move through the different genres.  There's such an incredible emphasis on the low-end in electronic music that I heavily benefit from something like the JH 16.  If your listening to music that doesn't reach down as much in the lower frequencies, I could completely understand why you might think that there is just no comparison between an IEM & a hifi system.

 

The best example I can think of has nothing do with IEMs, but more with Subwoofers.  My dealer was trying to push the REL G1 on me.  ******* expensive piece of **** if you ask me.  It's not made for me though.  It's made to work with other types of music, and apparently it does it incredibly, but for electronic music its a 300lb paper weight.  He thought the JL F113 was garbage, lucky for me because he let the pair go way, way, way below market.  However the F113 was as an exact match for the music I listen to.

 

We can't forgot that we all have such wildly varying tastes in music, that certain products or even types of products are going to be extremely polarizing.  


I adore electronic music and listen to it voraciously.  I'd rather have had the REL G1

post #1178 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post


I adore electronic music and listen to it voraciously.  I'd rather have had the REL G1

See, to each their own.  May I ask why you prefer the rel over the JL?

post #1179 of 3040
Not sure anyone cares about the Shure 846 anymore on this thread, but I thought I could provide a reason why I'm so interested in this IEM.

My original IEM was an Ety 4P which broke my bank at $300 ten years ago. I absolutely loved it and spent three years in the Peace Corps with it and a minidisc player as my only "audio nirvana".

When I came back to the US in 2004, I decided to splurge on Ultimate Ears 10 Pros, which were some of the earliest custom high end IEMs. They were terrific and short step up from the Etys.

When Shure released the E500, it was half the price of the high end customs and many thought it sounded better than them. When my UE10s broke in 2006, I got the E500 and I was very impressed. It had better bass than the UE10Pro and I liked its colored signature. When I ruined them in an accident, Shure immediately replaced them with SE530s.

I'm excited about the 846 because of Shure's pedigree and their customer service. They've surprised me once and I'm Shure they can do it again. I also know they're more likely to discount their product than a FitEar, Translucent, or other niche company.

I moved on from the Shure SE530 to the JH16 and then the FitEar 334. I can't wait to see how the 846 will do.
post #1180 of 3040

Of the earphones I have heard, none can compare to even one 12' subwoofer (in the proper setup). My “audiophile” friends tell me that what is missing in earphone sound is that very interaction with the atmosphere (and the room) as it enters the outer ear en route thru the ear canal. All I know is, I hear a distinctive difference. Earphones are very good but speakers are better.

 

HiFi--LowFi--NoFi, if the SE846 can provide me with the (on the go) sound I want, I'll go bye-bye (and enjoy my music).smily_headphones1.gif

 

post #1181 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by utdeep View Post

Not sure anyone cares about the Shure 846 anymore on this thread, but I thought I could provide a reason why I'm so interested in this IEM.

My original IEM was an Ety 4P which broke my bank at $300 ten years ago. I absolutely loved it and spent three years in the Peace Corps with it and a minidisc player as my only "audio nirvana".

When I came back to the US in 2004, I decided to splurge on Ultimate Ears 10 Pros, which were some of the earliest custom high end IEMs. They were terrific and short step up from the Etys.

When Shure released the E500, it was half the price of the high end customs and many thought it sounded better than them. When my UE10s broke in 2006, I got the E500 and I was very impressed. It had better bass than the UE10Pro and I liked its colored signature. When I ruined them in an accident, Shure immediately replaced them with SE530s.

I'm excited about the 846 because of Shure's pedigree and their customer service. They've surprised me once and I'm Shure they can do it again. I also know they're more likely to discount their product than a FitEar, Translucent, or other niche company.

I moved on from the Shure SE530 to the JH16 and then the FitEar 334. I can't wait to see how the 846 will do.

 

 

Do you still have any or all these customs with you? I would be interested to see how the 846s fare against your other IEMs. I have a soft spot in my heart for Shure after the SE535s (since then been replaced by a greater love for my Tralucent 1Plus2s). I imagine the Shure 530 and 535 had a similar sound sig??? But nevertheless quite excited!!

post #1182 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

You don't think "outside the box and you don't read very well." I was talking about SE846 only, not shure as a whole. You honestly think the release of every single product out there is for maximizing profits only? Don't you think there are more reasons that a company would release a new product? Maybe Shure wants to make the consumers believe that Shure is able to make high quality IEMs. They want to make people believe they are just as good as Sennheiser and other companies? Maybe? Have you considered that?

 

And you think you know how all business works. You seem to know the best price for each IEM.  Yeah... and you would know for sure they would make more profit if they price SE846 at $600 and lower the price of everything else. Yes, you would just know for sure...

You are making way too many assumptions. I think you are just blinded by your own opinion and not considering other aspects. We can argue all day, but there seems to be more people against you than with. Perhaps think about why.


Fact 1: Very few people spend 1000 or more on UNIVERSALS.

Fact 2: Many times the people who purchase UNIVERSALS for 1000 or more purchase universals around 600 and less

 

Conclusion: Selling these universals for 600 or less will net a much larger profit.

 

You not knowing the truth doesn't mean I'm wrong.

post #1183 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

By the time you go about adding shipping costs, to dealers and from manufacture along with dealer markup and the need to pay for accounts payable, R&D, US offices, warranty etc. etc. as part of every product, $600 is likely untenable. Someone has a very shallow idea of costs. For the sake of argument and accounting for real world costs and dealer markup, say they could lower their standard profit margin and sell it for $700 instead of $1000. Does anybody really think that $300 is going to be the largest deterrent once you're in that price range. Enough so that Shure would sell 3 times as many which is close to what it would take. Keep dreaming. It also then starts to bite more strongly into 535 sales. lowering the price of those as well is not the marketing solution. Lets see, we'll drop the 535 $100 and sell twice as many. Nope.

 

People here act like Shure doesn't have projections, bean counters and marketing experts on staff. Products like this tend to be a bit more expensive than they could be because they aren't assured of quantity sales so R&D and overhead runs them up a bit but not $400, maybe 1/2 that but it's warranted. It's actually new mainstream territory so there is risk management involved. The IEM market is pretty hot right now and the Asian Market is really getting into premium goods so I think they'll do great but I doubt they priced with that as an absolute.


You are exagerrating. 600 is doable since these don't cost anywhere near that to make. When you hit $1000 then people mostly think about customs (not universals). 700 for universals is a lot better and will definitely net more profit (not as much as 600 will though). It's not about double and triple but significantly more.

 

Prime example: On black friday a few years back, the tf 10 went on sale for about 100. They sold out in seconds. The Sony walkman Z had a killer price and also sold out in seconds. 600 or less for these shure will sell out faster than you can bat an eye.

post #1184 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post


You are exagerrating. 600 is doable since these don't cost anywhere near that to make. When you hit $1000 then people mostly think about customs (not universals). 700 for universals is a lot better and will definitely net more profit (not as much as 600 will though). It's not about double and triple but significantly more.

 

Prime example: On black friday a few years back, the tf 10 went on sale for about 100. They sold out in seconds. The Sony walkman Z had a killer price and also sold out in seconds. 600 or less for these shure will sell out faster than you can bat an eye.

And IMO you clearly haven't thought through the marketing .......

 

Shure will be still selling a lot of SE535, SE425, SE315 and SE215 IEMs.  If they discount the 846s to 600 - yes, they undoubtedly will boost sales of the new IEM ....... BUT - they will also be forced to then heavily discount every other IEM in their line-up.  So comparatively weight it up ....... sell more 846's which are more expensive to make - and discount every other IEM in the line-up.  Or charge a well though out premium for the 846, continue to make a good margin on their other IEMs - and profit considerably more.

 

Simple economics.

 

846's will still sell - it's a flagship after all.  Even though I know I can't afford it - I still want one.

post #1185 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

And IMO you clearly haven't thought through the marketing .......

 

Shure will be still selling a lot of SE535, SE425, SE315 and SE215 IEMs.  If they discount the 846s to 600 - yes, they undoubtedly will boost sales of the new IEM ....... BUT - they will also be forced to then heavily discount every other IEM in their line-up.  So comparatively weight it up ....... sell more 846's which are more expensive to make - and discount every other IEM in the line-up.  Or charge a well though out premium for the 846, continue to make a good margin on their other IEMs - and profit considerably more.

 

Simple economics.

 

846's will still sell - it's a flagship after all.  Even though I know I can't afford it - I still want one.

Price discrimination to be precise :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)