Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 57

post #841 of 1260
I wasn't referring to you, but in general. I have heard complaints that the MA900 is bass light, which just isn't true if they wear the MA900 properly.
post #842 of 1260

I've heard that complaint about the as well but I never thought it was the case even when I wear them all the way back, I always though the bass was quite neutral with some emphasis in the mid-bass.

 

The distortion could be from the drivers not being fully burned-in as I have noticed some headphones tend to handle higher volumes better after burn-in.

post #843 of 1260
Recessed subbass, neutral mid bass, boosted upper bass is the way I hear it.
post #844 of 1260

Anyone here driving them with an o2 by the way? It could just be the matching that I am having a problem with. Maybe the o2 totally sucks with 12 ohms.

post #845 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
 

Anyone here driving them with an o2 by the way? It could just be the matching that I am having a problem with. Maybe the o2 totally sucks with 12 ohms.


No, but from what I gather the O2 sounds identical to the Magni and I thought the Magni somewhat sucked for the MA900 and all my other headphones except my Senn HD 555.


Edited by kman1211 - 1/4/14 at 4:16pm
post #846 of 1260

When mine gets here, I'll be driving it with an E17 as my source + amp. Is that a good match?

post #847 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavis71 View Post
 

When mine gets here, I'll be driving it with an E17 as my source + amp. Is that a good match?


If the E17 sounds anything like the E11 then it should do pretty well. While the MA900 isn't hard to drive at all; synergy does matter as with any headphone. Synergy can easily make or break a headphone.

post #848 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


No, but from what I gather the O2 sounds identical to the Magni and I thought the Magni somewhat sucked for the MA900 and all my other headphones except my Senn HD 555.

I really hope its just the amp not matching well with the cans. I hope these aren't defective. It would be weird if it was defective though because both drivers behave the same way. Defective cans are usually broken on one side and not both at the same time :D

post #849 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
 

I really hope its just the amp not matching well with the cans. I hope these aren't defective. It would be weird if it was defective though because both drivers behave the same way. Defective cans are usually broken on one side and not both at the same time :D


Let's hope it's synergy because that's what I'm thinking it is as I experienced bad synergy with the headphone on the Magni. I originally had the MA900 on the Magni and I bought a new amp because of bad synergy with the MA900, going to the EF2A fixed the main problems I had with the MA900s sound on the Magni. The MA900 sounded veiled and incoherent in the bass and lower midrange at times, somewhat brash and glary in the upper midrange and lower highs, and it distorted quicker on the Magni.

post #850 of 1260

Hey guys,

How are these compared to the DT880 Pro (250Ohm) in signature?

 

Thanks!

post #851 of 1260

I love the sound signature of the ma900 so much more. Mids are more forward/less hollow, highs are very smooth yet extended, but the bass on the dt880 is better since it doesn't distort. Now that last issue has been something only I have been complaining about so far so it may be an amp issue that I cannot confirm yet. Kman1211 has commented about the amping a few posts above though.

post #852 of 1260
Just wanna chime in and say I prefer the MA900 on the E17 than on the more neutral Compass 2 and Asgard 2. It sounds more engaging with the E17. All about synergy.
post #853 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by exSpire View Post
 

Hey guys,

How are these compared to the DT880 Pro (250Ohm) in signature?

 

Thanks!


The DT 880 Pro sound signature heavily depends on the system it is hooked up to, on some systems they sound hollow in the mids, the only fix I've heard to the hollow mids of the DT 880 and many other Beyers were tubes. The MA900 has a more forward and full midrange with more prominent mid to upper-bass, it's on the darker side with a wider and bigger soundstage. I consider the MA900 more musical. The DT 880 is basically grain-free until you get to the upper treble where there is a large spike which can make it a bit harsh and bright, on many systems it can sound clinical and lifeless due to the very smooth and slightly recessed sounding mids and the emphasized upper treble. The bass is where the DT 880 shines, well extended, good impact, neutral, and very hard to distort.


Edited by kman1211 - 1/4/14 at 11:07pm
post #854 of 1260

Oh, I have ordered the Aune T1.

Can you recommend a tube for the MA900? and a tube recommendation for the DT880?

post #855 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by exSpire View Post
 

Oh, I have ordered the Aune T1.

Can you recommend a tube for the MA900? and a tube recommendation for the DT880?


I don't have much experience in tube rolling and I don't have much of an idea of what tubes sound like what on a particular amp. There is a huge variety of tubes and types of tubes which makes it hard to figure something like that out. There may be forum topics on tube rolling on the Aune T1 which may of be of some help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread