- 3,208 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Dt990 pro or Sony MDR-MA900 or alternative? Last post on 2/15/15 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- How do I get round a hi-fi amplifier's "poor" headphones output? Last post on 2/28/15 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-MA900 Question (Problem) Last post on 1/7/15 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 for gaming overkill? Last post on 11/21/14 at 2:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
These are simply the best sounding headphones I have ever owned (and I've owned and sold a lot of them). They are sublimely smooth, yet detailed without the least bit of harshness at all in the...
These were my first pair of cans that I consider my baptism of audiophile stuff. I used them with Fiio E10 as dac and Schiit Asgard as amp. Yes, they sounded good, but not as good as my...
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 57
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No, but from what I gather the O2 sounds identical to the Magni and I thought the Magni somewhat sucked for the MA900 and all my other headphones except my Senn HD 555.
Edited by kman1211 - 1/4/14 at 4:16pm
If the E17 sounds anything like the E11 then it should do pretty well. While the MA900 isn't hard to drive at all; synergy does matter as with any headphone. Synergy can easily make or break a headphone.
I really hope its just the amp not matching well with the cans. I hope these aren't defective. It would be weird if it was defective though because both drivers behave the same way. Defective cans are usually broken on one side and not both at the same time :D
Let's hope it's synergy because that's what I'm thinking it is as I experienced bad synergy with the headphone on the Magni. I originally had the MA900 on the Magni and I bought a new amp because of bad synergy with the MA900, going to the EF2A fixed the main problems I had with the MA900s sound on the Magni. The MA900 sounded veiled and incoherent in the bass and lower midrange at times, somewhat brash and glary in the upper midrange and lower highs, and it distorted quicker on the Magni.
I love the sound signature of the ma900 so much more. Mids are more forward/less hollow, highs are very smooth yet extended, but the bass on the dt880 is better since it doesn't distort. Now that last issue has been something only I have been complaining about so far so it may be an amp issue that I cannot confirm yet. Kman1211 has commented about the amping a few posts above though.
The DT 880 Pro sound signature heavily depends on the system it is hooked up to, on some systems they sound hollow in the mids, the only fix I've heard to the hollow mids of the DT 880 and many other Beyers were tubes. The MA900 has a more forward and full midrange with more prominent mid to upper-bass, it's on the darker side with a wider and bigger soundstage. I consider the MA900 more musical. The DT 880 is basically grain-free until you get to the upper treble where there is a large spike which can make it a bit harsh and bright, on many systems it can sound clinical and lifeless due to the very smooth and slightly recessed sounding mids and the emphasized upper treble. The bass is where the DT 880 shines, well extended, good impact, neutral, and very hard to distort.
Edited by kman1211 - 1/4/14 at 11:07pm
I don't have much experience in tube rolling and I don't have much of an idea of what tubes sound like what on a particular amp. There is a huge variety of tubes and types of tubes which makes it hard to figure something like that out. There may be forum topics on tube rolling on the Aune T1 which may of be of some help.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chord Hugo 19 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 or HD 600 4 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 4 minutes ago
- › Bought 2 pairs of headphones, need some advice if possible... 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › Audeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphone by Mediahound
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3