The hd598 is a different animal altogether. Well, now that I think about it, they do share some similar qualities. Both are good in their own right. Funny, I sold the 598 after one week, but the ma900 was an instant hit with me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-MA900 Question (Problem) Last post on 1/7/15 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 for gaming overkill? Last post on 11/21/14 at 2:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help on moving up to the high end, from HE400, HD598, K702, MA900, HP50 etc... Last post on 11/20/14 at 1:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are there headphones that work with glasses? Last post on 9/15/14 at 7:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840 Last post on 1/5/15 at 8:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
SENNHEISER URBANITE XL REVIEW Full sized headphones haven't been part of my usage options for quite some time now. I used to own a Sony MDR-1R but despite the excellent comfort and decent sound...
Before I begin, I want to thank @H20Fidelity for providing me this review sample. Also want to thank Fidue for creating such a great product. I did not purchase the Fidue A71 but I will not let...
These have been part of my set-up for about 2 months. The set-up has consisted mainly of: Phonitor 2 fed by a Mdac or Dacmagic (Main Rig) Portable use saw it used with a NuForce Udac Gaming...
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 55
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Currently I don't think there are any headphones that do everything right, and give you a perfect representation of the recording.
There are some products out there that give you an interesting new view on what the recording sounds like - even though the product also has some flaws.
Someone who reviews the MA900 from the viewpoint "what flaws does it have?" -- like the controversial review by Lugbug - will find flaws.
However, I find that it has a unique view of how an instrument "appears in space" - where it is, and what is around it. So, I enjoy using it, because I can find new things in recordings.
The Schiit Vali amp has a very high level of detail that also allows you to hear new and different things in a recording.
Coincidentally, both products have the same weak point - a poor rendition of "timbre" - the harmonics that - along with the envelope - determine what an instrument sounds like. Some people do not notice this because both products have a strong rendition of the other aspects that define an instrument (the characteristic envelope and its place in space). This is why - for both products - some people find the "mids" to be good and others not.
Both are excellent values for their low price, as long as you are not expecting a product that does everything well.
Edited by kstuart - 12/21/13 at 5:25pm
It is always a hit and miss with him so I always take his opinion with a grain. That said I enjoy his reviews and he knows his stuff for sure..The Ma900 is a great headphone, it can be a bit Dull sounding with lively tracks but all in all it is the best in the price range and a good all rounder.
I only briefly auditioned the x1 but as memory serves the Sony is appreciably better. It just has a massive sound sage.
MLE might kick in his 2c...he owned the x1 for a while I believe.
No comparison. The MA900 trumps the X1 on soundstage and projects considerably further out. That is the MA900s forte. The X1 has a good soundstage, great even, but the MA900 is among the very best in imaging and outward projection.
Question about the ma900. Mine just arrived and sounds good but I can't get enough volume out of them before they distort. Does this improve over time or do I just listen louder than the average ma900 lover?
it can certainly handle bass better than the SRH1840 I'm borrowing, which distorts if the bass gets too busy.
I think open headphones tend to be more prone to distorting bass compared to closed headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/2/14 at 5:09am
It definitely wont happen with an ipod because even at full volume, it wont be nearly loud enough. With the o2 though, it can get loud so when it does is when I get that distortion. It can't be defective though since both drivers distort at the same volumes. Unless there is such a thing as matched damaged drivers LOL
Isn't the ma900 around 12 ohms? They have to be defective. The MA900 sounds about as loud, if not louder than my SR80i.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 17 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 28 seconds ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 51 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Appreciation & Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by DJScope
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC by lalojimenez
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by thatBeatsguy
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3