The hd598 is a different animal altogether. Well, now that I think about it, they do share some similar qualities. Both are good in their own right. Funny, I sold the 598 after one week, but the ma900 was an instant hit with me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- 5 reasons why you shouldn't miss the Sony MDR-MA900 Last post on 6/25/14 at 1:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Coolest headphones for summer? Last post on 6/28/14 at 5:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ma900 vs DT880 and JVC FX850 Last post on 6/24/14 at 10:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JVC HA-FX850 vs Sony MDR-MA900 Last post on 7/5/14 at 7:48am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can my gaming setup be improved? Last post on 2/22/14 at 6:14am in Video Games Discussion
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
First I’d like to thank Salsera and Brainwavz for sending me a review sample of the S5. Brainwavz are a brand that I am quite familiar with. They have many IEMs that are often praised on Head-Fi...
This is a Review of FiiO E11k portable headphone amplifier. http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000060416193&MenuID=105026001, available from FiiO's US distributor MICCA Store:...
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 55
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Currently I don't think there are any headphones that do everything right, and give you a perfect representation of the recording.
There are some products out there that give you an interesting new view on what the recording sounds like - even though the product also has some flaws.
Someone who reviews the MA900 from the viewpoint "what flaws does it have?" -- like the controversial review by Lugbug - will find flaws.
However, I find that it has a unique view of how an instrument "appears in space" - where it is, and what is around it. So, I enjoy using it, because I can find new things in recordings.
The Schiit Vali amp has a very high level of detail that also allows you to hear new and different things in a recording.
Coincidentally, both products have the same weak point - a poor rendition of "timbre" - the harmonics that - along with the envelope - determine what an instrument sounds like. Some people do not notice this because both products have a strong rendition of the other aspects that define an instrument (the characteristic envelope and its place in space). This is why - for both products - some people find the "mids" to be good and others not.
Both are excellent values for their low price, as long as you are not expecting a product that does everything well.
Edited by kstuart - 12/21/13 at 5:25pm
It is always a hit and miss with him so I always take his opinion with a grain. That said I enjoy his reviews and he knows his stuff for sure..The Ma900 is a great headphone, it can be a bit Dull sounding with lively tracks but all in all it is the best in the price range and a good all rounder.
I only briefly auditioned the x1 but as memory serves the Sony is appreciably better. It just has a massive sound sage.
MLE might kick in his 2c...he owned the x1 for a while I believe.
No comparison. The MA900 trumps the X1 on soundstage and projects considerably further out. That is the MA900s forte. The X1 has a good soundstage, great even, but the MA900 is among the very best in imaging and outward projection.
Question about the ma900. Mine just arrived and sounds good but I can't get enough volume out of them before they distort. Does this improve over time or do I just listen louder than the average ma900 lover?
it can certainly handle bass better than the SRH1840 I'm borrowing, which distorts if the bass gets too busy.
I think open headphones tend to be more prone to distorting bass compared to closed headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/2/14 at 5:09am
It definitely wont happen with an ipod because even at full volume, it wont be nearly loud enough. With the o2 though, it can get loud so when it does is when I get that distortion. It can't be defective though since both drivers distort at the same volumes. Unless there is such a thing as matched damaged drivers LOL
Isn't the ma900 around 12 ohms? They have to be defective. The MA900 sounds about as loud, if not louder than my SR80i.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Need help looking for headphones! 8 seconds ago
- › New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic amp A2 2 minutes ago
- › Open headphones for rock under $200 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Which soundcard for Dt 990 pro 250 Ohms / DT 770 pro 250 Ohm 4 minutes ago
- › WANTED: Pioneer Monitor 10R 4 minutes ago
- › What headphone would be a logical progression from the ATH-M50 (the... 4 minutes ago
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by TheGame21x
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Klonatans
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)