The hd598 is a different animal altogether. Well, now that I think about it, they do share some similar qualities. Both are good in their own right. Funny, I sold the 598 after one week, but the ma900 was an instant hit with me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Help on moving up to the high end, from HE400, HD598, K702, MA900, HP50 etc... Last post on 11/20/14 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there headphones that work with glasses? Last post on 9/15/14 at 7:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840 Last post on 11/3/14 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650s and Fast Music. Last post on 9/2/14 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 5 reasons why you shouldn't miss the Sony MDR-MA900 Last post on 6/25/14 at 1:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 55
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Currently I don't think there are any headphones that do everything right, and give you a perfect representation of the recording.
There are some products out there that give you an interesting new view on what the recording sounds like - even though the product also has some flaws.
Someone who reviews the MA900 from the viewpoint "what flaws does it have?" -- like the controversial review by Lugbug - will find flaws.
However, I find that it has a unique view of how an instrument "appears in space" - where it is, and what is around it. So, I enjoy using it, because I can find new things in recordings.
The Schiit Vali amp has a very high level of detail that also allows you to hear new and different things in a recording.
Coincidentally, both products have the same weak point - a poor rendition of "timbre" - the harmonics that - along with the envelope - determine what an instrument sounds like. Some people do not notice this because both products have a strong rendition of the other aspects that define an instrument (the characteristic envelope and its place in space). This is why - for both products - some people find the "mids" to be good and others not.
Both are excellent values for their low price, as long as you are not expecting a product that does everything well.
Edited by kstuart - 12/21/13 at 5:25pm
It is always a hit and miss with him so I always take his opinion with a grain. That said I enjoy his reviews and he knows his stuff for sure..The Ma900 is a great headphone, it can be a bit Dull sounding with lively tracks but all in all it is the best in the price range and a good all rounder.
I only briefly auditioned the x1 but as memory serves the Sony is appreciably better. It just has a massive sound sage.
MLE might kick in his 2c...he owned the x1 for a while I believe.
No comparison. The MA900 trumps the X1 on soundstage and projects considerably further out. That is the MA900s forte. The X1 has a good soundstage, great even, but the MA900 is among the very best in imaging and outward projection.
Question about the ma900. Mine just arrived and sounds good but I can't get enough volume out of them before they distort. Does this improve over time or do I just listen louder than the average ma900 lover?
it can certainly handle bass better than the SRH1840 I'm borrowing, which distorts if the bass gets too busy.
I think open headphones tend to be more prone to distorting bass compared to closed headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/2/14 at 5:09am
It definitely wont happen with an ipod because even at full volume, it wont be nearly loud enough. With the o2 though, it can get loud so when it does is when I get that distortion. It can't be defective though since both drivers distort at the same volumes. Unless there is such a thing as matched damaged drivers LOL
Isn't the ma900 around 12 ohms? They have to be defective. The MA900 sounds about as loud, if not louder than my SR80i.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › I don't know what shoul I do. Akg k712/612 Pro - gaming and media... 21 seconds ago
- › WTB iBasso DX90 25 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 2 minutes ago
- › Is a Soundcard Going to Improve my Computer's Audio? 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › [Poor Man Reviews] Etymotic Research ER-4PT 2 minutes ago
- › WTB Paxmate for T50RP mods 3 minutes ago
- › sub bass vs mid bass 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs 3 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)