or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 14

post #196 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Just received the Sony today, on loan from MLE. Thank you kindly for the loan btw. Here are my unbiased impressions of the ma900 as I don't know jack didley about it tbh.

 

Really like:

 

*supreme comfort. This hp simply "rides" on your head with a sub zero level of clamp. At first I wanted more clamp from it as it felt as though it would slip off my head if I bent over to tie my shoes. After a few minutes it simply disappears on the head and feel like nothing is there. Comfort is a very close second to sound signature in my book and I'll give the comfort on the Sony a solid 9.

 

*good balance across the spectrum. No part of the signature is much out of place. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids. There is a nice transition from mids to treble without any congestion which is a common for many hp at this juncture in the sound. Everything flows freely between the mids and treble and feels easy and relaxed in presentation without any sense of strain to reproduce the music.

 

Don't like:

 

*the cable stinks. It couldn't be more cheaply made or any longer. It could double as a repelling apparatus should I ever decide to take up repelling. The first thing that I'd do is chop that cable in half and replace the jack with something decent. 

 

*build quality and design. Still getting my brain around this. Looks and feels like a cheapie, at first. The more I use it though, the better it seems to be put together and more solid than my initial impression was. Seriously angled and open pads adds to the sound stage for me. I wonder if the pads could be about twice as thick. They feel somewhat like memory foam but I'm not sure on that. The real issue that I have with the design is that the cups are largish. I'd want to use these as a home portable and the cup size holds them back from doing that somewhat. 

 

Kinda like:

 

*The bass does go somewhat deep but the weight and visceral impact are somewhat lacking. This is not a deal breaker for me at all, particularly at this price point. The mid bass is present and not bloated. The sub bass in tight and in balance with the rest of the sound. 

 

*The mids lack some of the natural tonality that I have come to love and appreciate. There is a hint of graininess that is present especially in female vocals. Again, I'm being VERY picky here and this is not a deal breaker either. In fact there is some nice body to the mids that impressed me after I got past the slight grainny sound. 

 

*The treble is pretty darn good. I like a darker treble but one that can still resolve and extend when the material calls for it. There is nothing harsh or fatiguing whatsoever about the treble here. Cymbals and violins came through with nice realism. 

 

Overall:

 

After about three hours going through my test material, the Sony's are really growing on me. I wasn't even sure what the price point was and just went to check amazon.  Looks like about $200 shipped. In my estimation, what they offer certainly justifies the asking price. Will I go out and grab a pair? Not sure. If I see them on the used forum here for less, I'd jump on it for sure. 

 

I was a bit disappointed when I listened to these on the x3 by fiio. Fortunately with the A2/bf the sound scaled up quite nicely and I found myself really getting lost in the music. These are good hp's, very good. The offer NO isolation. They do offer a nice comfortable experience and don't do much wrong and do so many things right. 

 

Anybody want to sell their pair?  :biggrin:

 

Excellent post & review

You must have been reading my mind??
 
Tnx,
Mike
post #197 of 2243
Okay it looks like Brian can do a recable. I'm thinking that I'll do adapters so that I can continue to use my one fancy cable. It would look like this.
post #198 of 2243
Hnnnnnng. That looks sexy. I could only do something like that after warranty though, personally.
post #199 of 2243

Oh come on...warranty smarnty. This is a $150 hp. :biggrin: The odd thing is that although the signature is close to the hd650, I keep picking up the ma900. Maybe it's the honeymoon period, but I certainly enjoy these hp's. 

 

MLE...they do scale some with better gear. Wait till you hear them from the A2. :wink: 

post #200 of 2243
I keep telling everyone, sometimes comfort/weight being drastically reduced over other headphones
will sway you into reach for that headphone.

I certainly felt the same when I kept reaching for these over the X1 which was a better headphone overall, and quite comfortable itself. The MA900 is just the type of headphone that can make you sell off all your higher end equipment and just enjoy the music and comfort with less.

As for the recabling, gonna do something about the impedance compensators/resistors? I like the MA900 as is, and when something ain't broke, I don't feel there is a need to fix anything. Also, as usual, when headphones are modified, they no longer have the stock headphone, and biases are skewed for the modded headphone. Expectation bias... screw that.

Not saying it can't improve, but I dont want to change the MA900 at all, other than it having better pads, and a sturdier, slightly shorter cable.

I'm self ranting here. Mainly speaking for those who are removing the resistors.

It's been done, and changes the headphone's impedance from 12ohm to 8ohm. Not exactly ideal for a lot of headphone amps, espcially if they're over 1ohm in output impedance. I prefer the science of whatever the hell Sony did to keep output impedance from hurting the MA900's frequency response.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/18/13 at 2:30pm
post #201 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Okay it looks like Brian can do a recable. I'm thinking that I'll do adapters so that I can continue to use my one fancy cable. It would look like this.

Matt,

With Brian,I always go the adpater route..just easier for him,me,and when not needed,,just unplug

My MD cable is like 10' with the extension adapter..gives me a lot of room to move around my cramped desktop set up..

 

Those Sony's do look sexy--very nice.

post #202 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I keep telling everyone, sometimes comfort/weight being drastically reduced over other headphones
will sway you into reach for that headphone.

I certainly felt the same when I kept reaching for these over the X1 which was a better headphone overall, and quite comfortable itself. The MA900 is just the type of headphone that can make you sell off all your higher end equipment and just enjoy the music and comfort with less.

As for the recabling, gonna do something about the impedance compensators/resistors? I like the MA900 as is, and when something ain't broke, I don't feel there is a need to fix anything. Also, as usual, when headphones are modified, they no longer have the stock headphone, and biases are skewed for the modded headphone. Expectation bias... screw that.

Not saying it can't improve, but I dont want to change the MA900 at all, other than it having better pads, and a sturdier, slightly shorter cable.

I'm self ranting here. Mainly speaking for those who are removing the resistors.

It's been done, and changes the headphone's impedance from 12ohm to 8ohm. Not exactly ideal for a lot of headphone amps, espcially if they're over 1ohm in output impedance. I prefer the science of whatever the hell Sony did to keep output impedance from hurting the MA900's frequency response.

MLE,

Am I seeing this correctly

Is this the headphone we are talking about

Nice price,

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-MDRMA900-Open-Air-Over-the-Ear-Audio-Stereo-Headphones-w-70mm-Drivers-/200813546733

post #203 of 2243

I just don't like to have cables all over the place. I appreciate the look and feel of the braided cable that I have and like being able to use it across all my hp's. 

post #204 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

MLE,
Am I seeing this correctly
Is this the headphone we are talking about
Nice price,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-MDRMA900-Open-Air-Over-the-Ear-Audio-Stereo-Headphones-w-70mm-Drivers-/200813546733

Yeah, but I bought them off Amazon for $180. Sony headphones tend to have lots of fakes, so I prefer buying authorized, just to make sure. Buying headphones on Ebay is something I personally won't do. I do believe they can be found on ebay for around $140, which is where most people are getting these from.
post #205 of 2243

Tnx for that heads up..

I'll go back & re-look

post #206 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Yeah, but I bought them off Amazon for $180. Sony headphones tend to have lots of fakes, so I prefer buying authorized, just to make sure. Buying headphones on Ebay is something I personally won't do. I do believe they can be found on ebay for around $140, which is where most people are getting these from.

 

OK,just got them-$-139-,off e-bay,with buyer protection

You just saved me $70.00 bucks

 
TNX-MLE
post #207 of 2243
Lol, so wait, no more demo needed? And I thought I was impulsive! tongue.gif
post #208 of 2243

LOL---so,yes,I do not need yours..mine will be here Monday...couldn't resist the price drop, you got me--tnx--your the best.


Edited by mikek200 - 9/18/13 at 3:16pm
post #209 of 2243

Mike, I bought from the same seller. Don't look for them that quick. It seems this guy will deliver...eventually. 

post #210 of 2243

OK-Tnx

With my luck,they will arrive on the same day ,as the AD's-LOL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread