Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 1517

Did anyone ever get around to trying these with DT880 pads? Overall comfort is great, but the stock pads are definitely the weak link. If we can get the beyer velours on them, these would be heavenly.

post #1262 of 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post
 

Did anyone ever get around to trying these with DT880 pads? Overall comfort is great, but the stock pads are definitely the weak link. If we can get the beyer velours on them, these would be heavenly.

I tried swapping the pads once but they didn't fit properly, I think that if you fiddle around with them and have a lot of patience eventually you will get them to fit.. 

post #1263 of 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

I tried swapping the pads once but they didn't fit properly, I think that if you fiddle around with them and have a lot of patience eventually you will get them to fit.. 

Interesting, thanks. I take it you weren't able to get them on? I'm curious if it affects the sound quality at all
post #1264 of 1517
Sorry for the late response. Swapping ANY pad on to the MA900 that's thicker than the super shallow MA900 pads will hurt the sonic balance. I've swapped a few pads (most recently the Shure 1840 pads which are like DT8980 pads that actually fit), and it makes the mids more recessed, and adds quite a bit of bass, IIRC. IMHO, I prefer the sound of the stock pads.
post #1265 of 1517
Damn, I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it too.

The HD800 pad is actually quite shallow and thin enough to be a good fit, but unfortunately it's not the right shape and the mounting system is completely different. A man can dream...
post #1266 of 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post


Interesting, thanks. I take it you weren't able to get them on? I'm curious if it affects the sound quality at all

unfortunately not, however i think ive read somewhere that someone swapped the ma900 with SRH940 pads and they did fit properly.. dont know about sound though

post #1267 of 1517
Hmm given that the SRH940 pads and the 1840 pads fit, the 1540 pads should definitely fit too. The 1540 pads tend to have an airier and more open sound (I'm extrapolating from T50rp mods). Even more interestingly, the material (Alcantara) is actually the same material used on the HD800 pads. May consider picking one up from Amazon. It's a little pricey at $40 though..
post #1268 of 1517
Thing is, ear to driver distance is also a factor, and any of the Shure pads will absolutely pushg your ears away from the driver compared to the thin stock pads. That is why the mids become quite recessed, and you get a thinner sound in general.
post #1269 of 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Thing is, ear to driver distance is also a factor, and any of the Shure pads will absolutely pushg your ears away from the driver compared to the thin stock pads. That is why the mids become quite recessed, and you get a thinner sound in general.

 

Yeah, I figured as much. Still the allure of the all-day comfort is very tempting.. May be worth the trade-off if it doesn't affect it too much :tongue_smile: 

post #1270 of 1517
I order yesterday a pair of HPAEC940
Pads.

Let's see how it goes.

I love MA900 so much, that I'm considering my next jump must be something like HD800, I'm not seeing myself using something with smaller soundstage than MA900.
post #1271 of 1517
Ah, here's what I remember.

Shure 1540 pads: Too bassy, mids are recessed

1840 pads, too thin, and harsh.

Since the 940 pads are supposed to seal well, it's most likely gonna be like the 1540 pads.
post #1272 of 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Ah, here's what I remember.

Shure 1540 pads: Too bassy, mids are recessed

1840 pads, too thin, and harsh.

Since the 940 pads are supposed to seal well, it's most likely gonna be like the 1540 pads.

that with stock sponge? I gonna cut the sponge that comes in pads.


My hope is find a good balance between increasing comfort with change in stock signature sound.
post #1273 of 1517

I received my ma900 and found it to be pretty amazing directly from the xonar u3, but now i'm wondering how better it could be by using a dac like fiio e17 or e07k, i mean, the difference will be night and day, or just slightly better?

post #1274 of 1517
Amping the MA900 is a must have, the goodness of this cans is that we can use them without an amp, but with one they get even more life.


I have since today a good upgrade for the MA900: I cut the sponge inside the Shure 940 pads and the transparency of MA900 returned to normal levels compared with sponge. These pads make them even more comfortable and increases the soundstage width. keeping this setup for sure.

Inicial this pads have some oval shape, but cutting the sponge break that Shap, I must now leave the pads 1or 2 days with some kind of bottle or glass inside the pads to force their circle shape gets permanent.

x8cJQQ.jpg
Edited by pack21 - 7/29/14 at 3:02pm
post #1275 of 1517
As with any and every single headphone ever made, if someone likes a headphone, they will find anything to justfy their purchases (I.e. amps).

I'm sorry but having owned the MA900 and used them on a variety of amps of different levels of power and quality, I'll still stand by my opinion that the MA900 benefits more from synergy/tonal balance of an amp, and not an amps quality/power.

I.e., I prefer the MA900 with my lowly E17 vs my $500 Compass 2 or SA-31.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread