Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 83

post #1231 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Well, the HD800 has a tilt towards treble, which is polar opporsite of the HD650's balance, so of course, next to the HD800, the 650 will be dark/slow. I don't like comparing headphones with an obvious difference in balance, which will make one sound bad depending on your personal preference. I for one, favor the 650's warm tilt (among others like the LCD2), over something on the bright side of neutral like the HD800. I'd choose those two any day of the week.

 

Have you seen measurements of both HD650 and HD800? FR aside, HD800 measures much better in all possible aspects (innerfidelity)...

 

HD800's technical superiosity is definitely not only about having more db in treble... HD650 are slow/veiled even compared to other darker to neutral headphones (LCD-2/LCD-3 are a perfect example of how to do darker headphones right).

 

You know, even Tyll prefers HD600 and sees HD650 as slightly veiled and dark... And that means something (considering his preference for warm-sounding headphones).

 

To sum up, all I wanted to say is that HD650 simply are veiled and slow... It's not an overstatement. IMHO.


Edited by Ron12 - 6/12/14 at 2:55am
post #1232 of 1474

well, they are also measuring slower in attack/decay, impulse response. That's the ultimate proof after listening. The comparison is unfair though, isn't it?

 

The HD 800 is lightning fast and measures well along with the best Stax. 

post #1233 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
 

well, they are also measuring slower in attack/decay, impulse response. That's the ultimate proof after listening. The comparison is unfair though, isn't it?

 

The HD 800 is lightning fast and measures well along with the best Stax. 

 

Well, I compared to the HD600 as well... HD600 are perfectly fine, versatile and balanced sounding (little slow and not airy and expansive in terms of soundstage but fine), HD650 are not. HD650 are specific, love it or hate it type of headphone.

 

I am not saying that HD650 are bad... Well, they are bad subjectively for me... But that's not important. What IS important is NOT to deny that HD650 are slowish and veiled sounding headphones in comparison to the majority of audiophile offerings. I have heard a lot of mid-fi or high end headphones and HD650 were really the slowest I've heard so far. There is always some sort of a veil regardless of what you are listening... It's not what I would call transparent and reference type of sound for critical listening.


Edited by Ron12 - 6/12/14 at 6:38am
post #1234 of 1474

I think people can often mistake treble roll off for lack of transient speed, since you miss out on that zesty treble attack.

 

Certainly the HD650 is slower than the HD800, without a question just from looking at the graphs and listening.

 

But is it slower than the HD600? I don't think so. There's nothing in the measurements to back that up. It just sounds sleepier.

 

Back on topic though, I think the HD650's resolution is a noticeable step up over the MA900, but it definitely is a more polarizing signature. People complain that the MA900 is too polite in the treble already. The HD650 is never going to convince that crowd.

 

Although Sonove's measurement rig is probably not up to scratch, the HD650 does appear to best the MA900 in terms of high frequency treble extension: http://sonove.angry.jp/sony_MDR_MA900.html

 

I feel like the HD650 has better transient resolution, but I'm still debating with myself about whether that improved performance is worth the decreased comfort and soundstage.


Edited by a_recording - 6/12/14 at 5:37pm
post #1235 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post
 

 

Well, I compared to the HD600 as well... HD600 are perfectly fine, versatile and balanced sounding (little slow and not airy and expansive in terms of soundstage but fine), HD650 are not. HD650 are specific, love it or hate it type of headphone.

 

I am not saying that HD650 are bad... Well, they are bad subjectively for me... But that's not important. What IS important is NOT to deny that HD650 are slowish and veiled sounding headphones in comparison to the majority of audiophile offerings. I have heard a lot of mid-fi or high end headphones and HD650 were really the slowest I've heard so far. There is always some sort of a veil regardless of what you are listening... It's not what I would call transparent and reference type of sound for critical listening.

Lets not turn this into a Sennheiser thread, ok buddy?

post #1236 of 1474

I just got an MA900...

 

 

My impressions so far:

 

1.   yep, it's pretty lightweight for an open headphone.

 

2.   MA900 build quality feel like the premium lightweight BOSE Sound True over-ear but without some "magical" oil or grease around the moving parts so that it feels "premium".

 

3.   It's a maintenance nightmare - the pads, headbands and speaker covers seem to attract lots hair & skin debris.  I find myself using using more tapes to completely take out debris.

 

4.   The top part of my ear touches the speaker covers and I can feel it. 

      (Is there a thicker aftermarket pads that fit MA900 so that my ears no longer touches the speaker cover?)

 

5.   I'm not sure how to describe headphone sound professionally like most of you guys... but to me MA900 feels like I'm listening to my current desktop PC speaker that is 2.5 feet in front of me and 3 feet apart left-right, but in much higher quality!  I've yet to try gaming with this headphone though.


Edited by TheBoss - 6/15/14 at 2:36pm
post #1237 of 1474

I think MA900's death was greatly exaggerated.

 

http://pur.store.sony.jp/Qnavi/Purchase/MDR-MA900/

It's still kickin' in the JDM market!  It ain't over until the link above says "seisan shuuryou".

post #1238 of 1474

I got my MA 900 a month ago for 239$ from Amazon, Using it with FiioE17. I bought it after watching Lachlan's review on youtube along with some research on head-fi of course.

 

My impressions,

 

It was less comfortable initially than I expected, had itchy ears because of ear pads  that settled in 2 days. I think its very lightweight but could still be uncomfortable for some. Given all the hype about ultimate comfort, I was expecting more .. so please give it a few days, It is now very comfortable for me.

 

Sound is , however, a different matter. Its just wonderful from the start, a lot better than I expected ( Lachlan called it a headphone for "everyday use", that lowered my expectations). Bass and mids are just delightful with good amount of detail and decent clarity given the signature.  Some mid bass hump noticeable at times but overall very nice balance for my taste.

 

Treble is  gentle but that is how I prefer it. Easily EQable for increased presence

Very non fatiguing even at louder volumes.

Very easy to drive

But the best aspect of its signature is the huge soundstage. Its very well defined, I watch a show with live music  performances and its as if I am in the studio. I can locate everything with eyes closed.  Instrument separation and  imaging is great.

Very good movie headphones because of good bass and vast soundsatge.

 

Only gripe is build quality. I love the sound but I know its not going to last given the flimsy build, I will break it somehow. I wish Sony will come up with newer version with Velour pads and better build by that time. That would be just perfect.

 

Given all the similarities with the big boys, I may upgrade in distant future to HD 600/650 if I decide to buy a better amp but right now, I am very very happy with MA 900, It brings a smile on my face every time I pick it up. Life is good when you live with something you really like.

post #1239 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidzegg View Post
 

I got my MA 900 a month ago for 239$ from Amazon, Using it with FiioE17. I bought it after watching Lachlan's review on youtube along with some research on head-fi of course.

 

My impressions,

 

It was less comfortable initially than I expected, had itchy ears because of ear pads  that settled in 2 days. I think its very lightweight but could still be uncomfortable for some. Given all the hype about ultimate comfort, I was expecting more .. so please give it a few days, It is now very comfortable for me.

 

Sound is , however, a different matter. Its just wonderful from the start, a lot better than I expected ( Lachlan called it a headphone for "everyday use", that lowered my expectations). Bass and mids are just delightful with good amount of detail and decent clarity given the signature.  Some mid bass hump noticeable at times but overall very nice balance for my taste.

 

Treble is  gentle but that is how I prefer it. Easily EQable for increased presence

Very non fatiguing even at louder volumes.

Very easy to drive

But the best aspect of its signature is the huge soundstage. Its very well defined, I watch a show with live music  performances and its as if I am in the studio. I can locate everything with eyes closed.  Instrument separation and  imaging is great.

Very good movie headphones because of good bass and vast soundsatge.

 

Only gripe is build quality. I love the sound but I know its not going to last given the flimsy build, I will break it somehow. I wish Sony will come up with newer version with Velour pads and better build by that time. That would be just perfect.

 

Given all the similarities with the big boys, I may upgrade in distant future to HD 600/650 if I decide to buy a better amp but right now, I am very very happy with MA 900, It brings a smile on my face every time I pick it up. Life is good when you live with something you really like.


The build quality is quite good actually. It will last many years without issue, the cable and headphone are much sturdier than they appear. My personal gripe about them was actually the sound quality, they have a sound signature I love and I find them musical but sadly they were too grainy for my tastes and didn't upscale as well as my other headphones.


Edited by kman1211 - 6/19/14 at 5:33pm
post #1240 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidzegg View Post

 

Only gripe is build quality. I love the sound but I know its not going to last given the flimsy build, I will break it somehow. I wish Sony will come up with newer version with Velour pads and better build by that time. That would be just perfect.

 

Given all the similarities with the big boys, I may upgrade in distant future to HD 600/650 if I decide to buy a better amp but right now, I am very very happy with MA 900, It brings a smile on my face every time I pick it up. Life is good when you live with something you really like.

 

 

build quality is actually great, as kman mentioned above, non existing clamping force and lightweight design is the reason, ma900 one of the most comfortable headphones out there.

 

 

I don't think it is worth upgrading to hd650/600, comparing the price performance of the 612pro. if you can get your hand on 612pro they can be a absolutely fantastic performer with much better transparency, and works brilliant with E17 with bass setting 4. one of the most musical headphones I've ever heard.


Edited by appsmarsterx - 6/19/14 at 9:50pm
post #1241 of 1474
... can anyone recommend me an aftermarket earpads? i need one that is easy to clean.
post #1242 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post

... can anyone recommend me an aftermarket earpads? i need one that is easy to clean.

 

I'm also looking for good replacement pads.  If you find one that works, let us know.

 

 

I tried Hifiman pads and they fit...but they make the MA900 sound like crap. 

post #1243 of 1474
MLE discovered that the SRH1540 and SRH1840 pads fit, however, the SRH1540 increases the bass. You can search it earlier in the thread.
post #1244 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


The build quality is quite good actually. It will last many years without issue, the cable and headphone are much sturdier than they appear. My personal gripe about them was actually the sound quality, they have a sound signature I love and I find them musical but sadly they were too grainy for my tastes and didn't upscale as well as my other headphones.

 

I think that you have a lot more discerning ears than me ( I did follow your earlier posts and 612 review). MA 900 is not perfect by any means but very close to it for me, hitting a sweet spot of price , comfort, SQ and more importantly sound signature that I like ( Have tried mid-fiers like Shure SRH 840, ATH- M50,  DT 990 pro, Pioneer MJ 591, IEMs like DBA-02 mk II, MEElectronics A161P, UE 600vi). I think its very important to understand your favorite sound signature and its has taken me the above lot to finally settle on MA 900.

 

Yeah, they are decently built especially what for what Sony was trying to do. I actually slept in them once and that is when something untoward can happen . Otherwise, they can definitely survive sane handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

 

build quality is actually great, as kman mentioned above, non existing clamping force and lightweight design is the reason, ma900 one of the most comfortable headphones out there.

 

 

I don't think it is worth upgrading to hd650/600, comparing the price performance of the 612pro. if you can get your hand on 612pro they can be a absolutely fantastic performer with much better transparency, and works brilliant with E17 with bass setting 4. one of the most musical headphones I've ever heard.

 

Will definitely consider 612 pro in future. I did follow the discussion in this thread comparing the two as well as Lachlan's video review of 612 pro. However, darker, warmer signature with no compromise on mids, good bass and very gentle treble might be the sound i like, hence the HD 600/650 aspirations. MA 900 has all that plus the soundstage so I am really chuffed about it.


Edited by vidzegg - 6/21/14 at 8:04am
post #1245 of 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidzegg View Post
 

 

I think that you have a lot more discerning ears than me ( I did follow your earlier posts and 612 review). MA 900 is not perfect by any means but very close to it for me, hitting a sweet spot of price , comfort, SQ and more importantly sound signature that I like ( Have tried mid-fiers like Shure SRH 840, ATH- M50,  DT 990 pro, Pioneer MJ 591, IEMs like DBA-02 mk II, MEElectronics A161P, UE 600vi). I think its very important to understand your favorite sound signature and its has taken me the above lot to finally settle on MA 900.

 

Yeah, they are decently built especially what for what Sony was trying to do. I actually slept in them once and that is when something untoward can happen . Otherwise, they can definitely survive sane handling.

 

Will definitely consider 612 pro in future. I did follow the discussion in this thread comparing the two as well as Lachlan's video review of 612 pro. However, darker, warmer signature with no compromise on mids, good bass and very gentle treble might be the sound i like, hence the HD 600/650 aspirations. MA 900 has all that plus the soundstage so I am really chuffed about it.


Possibly, my ears are very sensitive which is both good and problematic. I can tell a huge difference between many headphones with a few minutes of listening, I can't listen to SS amps for long(about a week of moderate use) without their brashness and roughness really bothering and fatiguing me long term(ears clog up when I listen to a SS amp too long) so I have to stick with tubes. Similar thing happens with the MA900, they fatigued me after a while due to their grain and the veil they have. I do need to upgrade my amp sometime as it does have some problems with etching of the treble, not fatiguing but annoying at times. The K612 is a different sounding beast and I personally suggest them on tubes as they can sound a bit brash and hard in the upper midrange otherwise.

 

The MA900s durable is fine for normal use, I can see rough treatment being problematic. As long as the treble is good quality I can handle some brightness. You can consider the K612 and K712 as well, they are a bit more trebly than the HD 600/650 but they have a bigger soundstage. The HD 600/650s soundstage does open up with the right amps though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread