Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 79

post #1171 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You just got them and are already doing A/B comparisons?

Wouldn't you?   LOL

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I've heard they don't have the same sound signature at all, which is another reason why A/B comparison is going to be quite lopsided.
 

 

It turns out that they don't have the same signature.  I liked the F1 so much that I bought the MA900 just to see if Sony changed things around...and by how much. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

But anyways... I've heard the opposite, the MA900 being the more realistic and organic of the two, etc.

 

Well, now you've heard yet another opinion.   

 

The signature of the MA900 reminds me of the HD650, while the F1 is like a K702.  If you like AKG headphones, you will probably think the F1 is more realistic than the MA900.    A basshead will definitely prefer the MA900.

 

As far as comfort, build quality and sound stage, the F1 is the clear winner here. 

 

Like I said, both are really good headphones.   The MA900 might be a better choice with pop, rap and electronic music...with jazz and acoustic music, the F1 is the more realistic and organic of the two.

post #1172 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
 

 

 

This may be apples & oranges but how does MA900 sound  actually compare to MDR 7550?

 

Judging from your impressions it seems that MA900 is like the 7550 in open can form.

 

The 7550's bass falls somewhere in between the MA900 and the F1 -- it has more sub-bass than the MA900 and more mid-bass than the F1.   The highs are more like the MA900s.

post #1173 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post
 

 

I'll have to disagree. 

 

Another member posted this awhile back and I completely agree with him.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View PostView Post

You can argue that MA900 is more technically advanced version of F1, It's more dynamic, cleaner and detailed, no question about it.

 

I can't agree with any of this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View PostView Post

If you're into modern beat-based music than it will suit you far better.  But for acoustic instrumental and vocal-dominated music i'd say the F1 nails the tonality and aocustic ambiance just somewhat better,

 

 

I completely agree with this.

 

 

 

As far as comfort...both are really comfortable, but I feel the F1 headband mechanism makes it easier to get a good fit right away.  With the MA900, my ears are always touching the drivers...with the F1, my ears are like a millimeter away from the drivers.   This is really a case of YMMV.


Edited by elvergun - 4/20/14 at 7:39am
post #1174 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

The 7550's bass falls somewhere in between the MA900 and the F1 -- it has more sub-bass than the MA900 and more mid-bass than the F1.   The highs are more like the MA900s.

Do you also own mdr 7550 iem?

based on the quote above, if i go from 7550 to ma900, i get just less sub bass extention and gain greater depth soundstage (assuming ma900 and 7550 have equal width soundstage and mids) ?
post #1175 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post


Do you also own mdr 7550 iem?

based on the quote above, if i go from 7550 to ma900, i get just less sub bass extention and gain greater depth soundstage (assuming ma900 and 7550 have equal width soundstage and mids) ?

 

I do own the 7550.   Going from the 7550 to the MA900 will give you more mid bass, less sub bass, a wider soundstage and a greater sense of openness.

 

The MA900 is a great headphone.  I think you will enjoy it.

post #1176 of 1290

For me I think the 7550 is actually the more technically competent of the two. I prefer the sound of the 7550 but in most circumstances the MA900 is just a way easier wear.

 

I'm doing a big selloff of a lot of my gear atm and right now I am at a new place and my only full sized headphone is the MA900. I may or may not even sell my AD1000X and just go solo with the MA900. Honestly I have no issues with this at all after owning the K612, DT880 and AD1000X (and other full sizes in the past). I am dimly considering maybe getting something fancier when my Geek Pulse arrives but overtime I have come to think of the MA900 as my desert island headphone... it really does distress me that it has been discontinued with no apparent successor.

post #1177 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

For me I think the 7550 is actually the more technically competent of the two. I prefer the sound of the 7550 but in most circumstances the MA900 is just a way easier wear.

 

 

I agree.  The MDR7550 is better technically, but the MA900 is not far behind. 

post #1178 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

For me I think the 7550 is actually the more technically competent of the two. I prefer the sound of the 7550 but in most circumstances the MA900 is just a way easier wear.

I'm doing a big selloff of a lot of my gear atm and right now I am at a new place and my only full sized headphone is the MA900. I may or may not even sell my AD1000X and just go solo with the MA900. Honestly I have no issues with this at all after owning the K612, DT880 and AD1000X (and other full sizes in the past). I am dimly considering maybe getting something fancier when my Geek Pulse arrives but overtime I have come to think of the MA900 as my desert island headphone... it really does distress me that it has been discontinued with no apparent successor.

K712 Pro ftw. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1179 of 1290

I'm out of country and I go into an electronics store, and of course I immediately go to the headphone section.  Two brand-new, unopened MDR-MA900 headphones..  $99.98 each.

 

I snatch them up and go to check out, and my credit card is denied due to suspicious purchases in a foreign country. :mad:

 

 

Now I have to make a trip back tomorrow, now that I called up my bank and told them to stop hindering my purchases..

post #1180 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

Two brand-new, unopened MDR-MA900 headphones..  $99.98 each.

 

What a find! I would have snatched up two pairs as well. I will be sad when my MA900's break one day and I don't have a replacement pair.

post #1181 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

I'm out of country and I go into an electronics store, and of course I immediately go to the headphone section.  Two brand-new, unopened MDR-MA900 headphones..  $99.98 each.

 

 

The thrill of victory...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

 

I snatch them up and go to check out, and my credit card is denied due to suspicious purchases in a foreign country. :mad:

 

 

The agony of defeat...

post #1182 of 1290

I was delayed until today, however, I went back and bought the two pairs that they had.

 

I definitely think that they're more comfortable than my DT880 PRO headphones (hell of a lot lighter) and I feel that I could wear them for a lot longer.  After hearing several complaints about their build quality, I was surprised about the feel of the headphones; they are a lot sturdier than I had expected. 

 

For $106.97 after tax, I think my only real complaint is that they're not exactly complimentary to my Beyers.


Edited by illyria - 4/30/14 at 5:32pm
post #1183 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

I was delayed until today, however, I went back and bought the two pairs that they had.

 

I definitely think that they're more comfortable than my DT880 PRO headphones (hell of a lot lighter) and I feel that I could wear them for a lot longer.  After hearing several complaints about their build quality, I was surprised about the feel of the headphones; they are a lot sturdier than I had expected. 

 

For $106.97 after tax, I think my only real complaint is that they're not exactly complimentary to my Beyers.

 

Congrats! Let me know if you want to get rid of one :)

post #1184 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post
 

 

Congrats! Let me know if you want to get rid of one :)

 

Giving the spare out to my brother as a birthday gift.  Sadly they didn't have any more, otherwise they would have of made perfect gifts.

post #1185 of 1290
Thks anyway, I m sure ur bro would love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread