Also tell him ma1000 could come with multiple impedance choices like beyerdynamic does with some of their headphones. :) I have wanted to try ma900 for a while, but considering the impedance mismatch with my amp I have passed on that...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Dt990 pro or Sony MDR-MA900 or alternative? Last post on 2/15/15 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- How do I get round a hi-fi amplifier's "poor" headphones output? Last post on 2/28/15 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-MA900 Question (Problem) Last post on 1/7/15 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 for gaming overkill? Last post on 11/21/14 at 2:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 75
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
You have not investigated the MA900 much, because it includes an "impedance matching network" built-in.
I just got a pair of open box new HD700s for $530. They sound awesome, but the real surprise is how damn close the MA900s are to the Sennheiser's that retail for 3 times as much. The higher priced headphones do have a higher degree of transparency and the bass is tighter and cleaner, but the MA900s are great. If you like a lot of spaciousness and separation in your headphone sound, these two phones are in the same ballpark. They both also sound especially good with the added features of my iCAN amp. I am not sure if I could live anymore without the enhancements the iCAN brings to the sound.
I wouldn't necessarily say that is to the benefit of the MA900, as it is the fault of the HD700. They aren't a very highly regarded headphone, and the heavy discounts on them is a pretty clear indication of just how poorly they were accepted (when's the last time you saw a HD800 at 40% off).
However, the MA900 are very excellent headphones indeed. Sony has recently been "testing the waters" or so it seems to get a headphone out that really gets people biting. I don't think their high end audio market is a real money maker, so I don't think you'll see a lot of new high end headphones from them. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
I'f someone in germany is considering these headphones, here is a nice deal. http://www.amazon.de/Sony-MDRMA900-HiFi-High-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-Klinkenstecker/dp/B007I1QXX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396126064&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdrma900
Damn...124 euros but no international shipping :(
Yes, that's generally what I've been led to believe.
It really bites that the MA900 is not only underrated, it appears to have been discontinued with no successor.
Though... I did meet Sony's chief sound engineer, Koji Nageno (who also worked on the MDR-F1), and I got his business card. Maybe I should send him some sad emails and he will take pity and design an MA1000!
Please do so.
Curious as to why they decided to discontinue this if they have no plans for a successor anytime soon. Do they have something to replace it that's even better?
Well I sold my HD700s. The MA900 comes so very close and I think I actually like the tone of it better than the Sennheiser. The HD700 did have a bit of added refinement and clarity, but it was not worth the extra cost, especially when the Sony's sound so good and are just as satisfying. I also found the Sony's somehow more engaging. The HD700s were a bit more reserved and distant to my ears. They are both wonderfully spacious and open, so the Sony's keep right up on that score. Overall, I still find the Sony's are remarkable phones for their price. They are going to be the only large headphones I will be keeping. I am even selling my recabled ESW9s.
For some variety, I am going to try the new JVC HA-FX850 as a pair of iem's. The soundstage on these JVCs has actually been compared to the K1000, and the bass has been compared to the LCD2....so I have to hear them for myself!
Edited by Nirmalanow - 3/30/14 at 9:33am
has anyone tried modifying the ma900 to have a detachable cable (specifically 3.5mm?)
I really am looking into buying these, but I want to know if modifying them to have a detachable cable affects anything else (it normally shouldn't)
If you go back through the thread, Matt had his modified to use a detachable Y cable. He ended up selling them in a big sale to raise money, so they only pictures are the ones in this thread. Try searching the thread for "detachable".
So... I am really impressed my the MA900. With the right amplification, yhey are right up there with the best I've heard. :-) Unbelievable at this price!!
It really makes my curious about other Sony cans. :-) Can you guys compare it with the Sony 1R?
The only Sony can that sounds really good is the Sony 7520. But it's closed.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Help choosing headphone amp 9 seconds ago
- › Tube Change/Biasing a Stax 006t II 16 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › HD800 vs HE500 3 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Alpha Dogs (Black) + Extra Cables 4 minutes ago
- › need right side tf10 5 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 5 minutes ago
- › Still can't narrow down to a decision. 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2