Also tell him ma1000 could come with multiple impedance choices like beyerdynamic does with some of their headphones. :) I have wanted to try ma900 for a while, but considering the impedance mismatch with my amp I have passed on that...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Dt990 pro or Sony MDR-MA900 or alternative? Last post on 2/15/15 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- How do I get round a hi-fi amplifier's "poor" headphones output? Last post on 2/28/15 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-MA900 Question (Problem) Last post on 1/7/15 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 for gaming overkill? Last post on 11/21/14 at 2:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 75
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
You have not investigated the MA900 much, because it includes an "impedance matching network" built-in.
I just got a pair of open box new HD700s for $530. They sound awesome, but the real surprise is how damn close the MA900s are to the Sennheiser's that retail for 3 times as much. The higher priced headphones do have a higher degree of transparency and the bass is tighter and cleaner, but the MA900s are great. If you like a lot of spaciousness and separation in your headphone sound, these two phones are in the same ballpark. They both also sound especially good with the added features of my iCAN amp. I am not sure if I could live anymore without the enhancements the iCAN brings to the sound.
I wouldn't necessarily say that is to the benefit of the MA900, as it is the fault of the HD700. They aren't a very highly regarded headphone, and the heavy discounts on them is a pretty clear indication of just how poorly they were accepted (when's the last time you saw a HD800 at 40% off).
However, the MA900 are very excellent headphones indeed. Sony has recently been "testing the waters" or so it seems to get a headphone out that really gets people biting. I don't think their high end audio market is a real money maker, so I don't think you'll see a lot of new high end headphones from them. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
I'f someone in germany is considering these headphones, here is a nice deal. http://www.amazon.de/Sony-MDRMA900-HiFi-High-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-Klinkenstecker/dp/B007I1QXX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396126064&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdrma900
Damn...124 euros but no international shipping :(
Yes, that's generally what I've been led to believe.
It really bites that the MA900 is not only underrated, it appears to have been discontinued with no successor.
Though... I did meet Sony's chief sound engineer, Koji Nageno (who also worked on the MDR-F1), and I got his business card. Maybe I should send him some sad emails and he will take pity and design an MA1000!
Please do so.
Curious as to why they decided to discontinue this if they have no plans for a successor anytime soon. Do they have something to replace it that's even better?
Well I sold my HD700s. The MA900 comes so very close and I think I actually like the tone of it better than the Sennheiser. The HD700 did have a bit of added refinement and clarity, but it was not worth the extra cost, especially when the Sony's sound so good and are just as satisfying. I also found the Sony's somehow more engaging. The HD700s were a bit more reserved and distant to my ears. They are both wonderfully spacious and open, so the Sony's keep right up on that score. Overall, I still find the Sony's are remarkable phones for their price. They are going to be the only large headphones I will be keeping. I am even selling my recabled ESW9s.
For some variety, I am going to try the new JVC HA-FX850 as a pair of iem's. The soundstage on these JVCs has actually been compared to the K1000, and the bass has been compared to the LCD2....so I have to hear them for myself!
Edited by Nirmalanow - 3/30/14 at 9:33am
has anyone tried modifying the ma900 to have a detachable cable (specifically 3.5mm?)
I really am looking into buying these, but I want to know if modifying them to have a detachable cable affects anything else (it normally shouldn't)
If you go back through the thread, Matt had his modified to use a detachable Y cable. He ended up selling them in a big sale to raise money, so they only pictures are the ones in this thread. Try searching the thread for "detachable".
So... I am really impressed my the MA900. With the right amplification, yhey are right up there with the best I've heard. :-) Unbelievable at this price!!
It really makes my curious about other Sony cans. :-) Can you guys compare it with the Sony 1R?
The only Sony can that sounds really good is the Sony 7520. But it's closed.
- Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 34 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out V2A 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 3 minutes ago
- › So my Philips X2 have minimal bass, upgrade? 4 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 6 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 9 minutes ago
- › DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1... 13 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 13 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...