Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread - Page 70

post #1036 of 1298
My pads are hella compressed. Pretty sure you're not gonna luck out with some springy foam. They compress rather easily. The padding is very minimal, and is basically there just so that you're not making contact with the plastic.

Also, the closer your ears are to the driver, the better the sound quality for the MA900s.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/11/14 at 8:28pm
post #1037 of 1298

I know the X1s have more bass but does that mean it extends deeper with more sub-bass or just more punch?

post #1038 of 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavis71 View Post
 

I know the X1s have more bass but does that mean it extends deeper with more sub-bass or just more punch?

I have both and alhtough im a noob into audiophile world, I can say that the X1s have deeper bass and more punch than the MA900, Im using the MA900s right now listening to "F****** Problems" lol just to see how the bass responds with the MA900, and they still have good bass, just not like the X1s

post #1039 of 1298
The ma900s sound good but only to a certain degree of volume. If anyone wants mine, let me know. I'll sell it for a huge loss even though I just got it for 250 including shipping. I'll just get an hd518 or something. Heck if someone can buy a senn hd518 new and send it to me, I'll gladly trade it for my ma900 as long as you pay the shipping cost from me to you for the ma900.
post #1040 of 1298

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LuO1Cz2Do&feature=kp

 

This song is extremely poor sounding on the Sony Ma900. Friend linked me too it and I noticed immediately that most of the audio sounds like it was smushed and smeared. Is that due to a poor recording, poor mastering, or extreme compression?

 

I don't exactly know the differences between the bad sound from compression, poorly recorded, and poorly mastered.

 

I imagine poorly recorded would just sound more closed in and possibly hot and with some unwanted background detail in there if you have a really high end headphone that can hear tiny background details?

 

Wondering because people always talk about extremely revealing headphones can make music with those issues listed above practically unlistenable and I am curious as to what makes it unlistenable on very revealing headphones?


Edited by Kdavis71 - 2/16/14 at 9:56am
post #1041 of 1298

you clearly dont need a good headphone like ma900 to watch terrible 240p videos on youtube.. even my htf600 wont sound good on those terrible things.

post #1042 of 1298

Well, I guess it sounds so bad because of compression then. I'm more interested though on what people hear that makes music unlistenable with very "revealing" headphones if the music or source is not top quality.

post #1043 of 1298

I've had mine for about 4 months.  Really enjoy them to this day, but was tempted to try the Philips Fidelio X1.  My only real complaint with the MA900's are the build quality and the fact I have to adjust them all the time.  The headband is very loose.

 

In terms of actual sound quality I can't say anything negative at all about them.  Anyone here try the Fidelio X1's?

post #1044 of 1298
I have both. X1 does a lot of things right but the 7520 is not that far behind too. In fact, the 7520 has a larger soundstage and airness that best the X1 for listening to live recordings.
post #1045 of 1298
Sorry, I meant MA900 not 7520
post #1046 of 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

I have both. X1 does a lot of things right but the 7520 is not that far behind too. In fact, the 7520 has a larger soundstage and airness that best the X1 for listening to live recordings.

Dang dude - you had me excited there for a second!  I have some 7520's en route, and I'm sending my MA900's back (they have a defect in the headband).  I'm hoping the 7520's meet all my needs for a home headphone, but I've been reading about lack of soundstage.

 

I may have to order another set of the MA900's depending on the sound of the 7520's.  However, I'm not crazy about the physical design of the MA900: non-replaceable cable, sliders that move too easily, too-narrow headband that causes some discomfort (and is basically a piece of non-replaceable foam that will wear out), and earpads that don't feel right after extended use (they don't cause pain, but they give me an uneasy feeling after a couple of hours - not sure what it is).

 

All that said, they produce outstanding sound for gaming and are excellent for music as well.  Maybe there will be an improved version?  I'm definitely sold on the technology of the drivers/ear cups.

post #1047 of 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

I have both. X1 does a lot of things right but the 7520 is not that far behind too. In fact, the 7520 has a larger soundstage and airness that best the X1 for listening to live recordings.

Reading about the comfort issues with the X1 has me apprehensive.  Like I said, the only thing I can complain about with the MA900's are the build quality.  In terms of sound and comfort, I don't know if they'll be beat compared to the X1.

 

Which one would you say you prefer out of the two?


Edited by gl0ry - 2/18/14 at 9:54pm
post #1048 of 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

The only thing i hate about the MA900's is that they pull my hair A LOT. and my hair isn't even that long lol biggrin.gif

There's actually a fix for that.  I cut some electrical tape and covered up the holes on the side, and it completely made that problem go away

post #1049 of 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post

There's actually a fix for that.  I cut some electrical tape and covered up the holes on the side, and it completely made that problem go away
Do you mind taking a picture of that?
post #1050 of 1298
About to move out unexpectedly (in the coming weeks, due to a-hole roommate moving out and not paying his share of bills), so I need so emergency funds.

Selling my MA900: $140 total. PM if interested. Link is in my sig.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread