Anyone find out how to open the mdr ma900?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review and Comparison of the $200 Open-Back Underdogs: The AKG K612 Pro and the Sony MDR-MA900 Last post on 11/24/13 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help choosing between Beyerdyanmic DT 770 vs Sony MDR-MA900 for gaming and music Last post on 11/14/13 at 3:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed alternative for Sony-MA900 Last post on 11/5/13 at 7:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- FS: Sony MDR-MA900 Headphones *Excellent Condition* Last post on 11/9/13 at 9:42am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Finally a true soundstage headphone Sony MA900 Last post on 10/30/13 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Sony MDR MA900 Appreciation Thread - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I tried searching e-bay..no go.
I will contact Sony tomorrow,and see what they say?
Will post my findings,if any.
One major downside w/ sony headphone is they are not very diligent about pads. I think might play into sony's idea of "planned obsolescence".
Hopefully some chinese manufacturer will make some
Or that one of their other pads ,will fit the 900's--somehow I doubt it...though?
Hrm, wonder if the SA3000 pads would fit?
Yes. Opening up the MDR-MA900 isn't too much of a chore.
1. Pull the Pads off.
2. Use a very (tiny) Phillips Tip screwdriver.
3. There are (5) (tiny!) Phillips screws in a circle/pentagon? around the inner cup/frame for each earcup.
4. Unscrew, remove, and (definitely don't let them fall into the carpet!) put them aside safely.
5. Gently (you can use just your fingernails, and light pressure) "pry" the inner cup/frame off of the sandwich of : [a] outer cup/frame, [b] 70mm driver w/ dustcover, and [c] inner cup/frame.
6. Now put the inner cup/frame aside, and you can gently lift the driver w/ dustcover off of the peg that the dustcover is lined up on.
7. Now you can access the driver by gently, gently sliding the (silicone?/rubber?) ringed dustcover off the driver by going around the driver in a circular way, pulling just the edge of the gasket.
Hint: there's a large tab of (silicone?/rubber?) that covers the PCB solder terminals of the driver that is easy to grab hold of to do this.
8. You should be able to perform the "resistor network removal mod" that some owners of the MDR-MA900 have done, and the MDR-F1 have also, since the resistor network is reported to be identical in design to the one on the drivers from the MDR-F1.
I haven't done this yet to my MA900's, but I HAVE to my F1's before.
Resistor Network Removal Info:
- Here is a link with pictures to the info on the "resistor network removal mod", for the MDR-F1.
- Here is another link by another member, with different pictures.
-Here are two circuit diagrams I found somewhere before purchasing my MA900 this summer:
- Additionally I took some photos of the pad/cup/frame/driver/dustcover disassembly since nobody's bothered to yet.
(They're only with my cameraphone, with non-fantastic lighting, but I'll see which ones are clear enough to post later on.)
That is a little beyond my skills, but I put up a classified looking for an already modded MA900 in case anyone has one to sell:
- Sony MDR MA900 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 20 seconds ago
- › Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350,... 1 minute ago
- › And yet again, I need a new pair of cans... or actually three :\ 2 minutes ago
- › is audeze a bad idea for classical music? 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S3... wow. 6 minutes ago
- › why do people dislike itunes? 7 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi