Has anyone heard this? http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac2-d looks like it is the same DAC as DAC2 HGC with less inputs.
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by System, 5/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- Matrix X-Sabre vs Benchmark DAC2 Last post on 3/1/14 at 7:41pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Amp recommendations for Grado PS1000 + Benchmark DAC2 Last post on 2/1/14 at 4:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Lame 3 DAC comparo. Last post on 1/4/14 at 5:44pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AKG K702 / Benchmark DAC2 - not enough power? Last post on 11/18/13 at 3:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
New Benchmark DAC2 D
The analog inputs shouldn't be causing much noise/interference when not selected as active source I would think?
Granted, it wasn't cheap to begin with, so if you don't ever need the analog inputs at all why spend the extra $200...
That`s what I am wondering either... Actually I am going to buy a DAC2 next month when I come back to the US. I already tried it and love that voice. And now they told me they have another one in the same performance and JUST without a 12V trigger and an analog input which I would never use. Should I pay that extra 200 bucks? Or are they really in the exactly same performance??
It is very pleased if you have any ideas. ^ ^
Everything Audio Network has a review of the DAC2 D. They were also the ones who had the first review of the DAC2 HGC.
The review ends by saying: "In essence, the DAC2 D offers the same dynamic accuracy, yet warm, smooth analog character as the "HGC." It just has a few less bells and whistles, but it is lower in price. In my opinion, both Benchmark DAC2s are the standard for today’s full-featured, modular high-resolution audio DAC."
Benchmark themselves aren't making any claims about reduced noise or otherwise improved performance.
Personally, even if I was not intending on using the analog section now, I would still buy the DAC2-HGC instead.
$200 does not seem like nearly enough when you consider the flexibility you are giving up.
Even if you might not be using it now who knows what your audio setup may be in a few years time.
With the analog stage of the HGC, you can run any other audio equipment through it and make use of the excellent headphone amplifier, or the remote controlled volume.
For me, the DAC2-HGC is a long-term purchase. I am so pleased with its performance that I can't imagine wanting to replace it with another DAC or headphone amplifier. It just seems short-sighted to forego the analog input stage and 12V trigger to save 10%. But maybe if you're really sure that you will never use them, that will be a worthwhile saving to you.
Something else to consider is that if you ever do intend to sell it on, potential buyers may not want one without the analog inputs.
- New Benchmark DAC2 D
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 24 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 29 seconds ago
- › Upgrade from DT770? 44 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 47 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › WTT: My PS3 Superslim 500GB and 20+ Games (including FIFA 14, GTA V... 1 minute ago
- › HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? 1 minute ago
- › Best headphones, no amp, no budget 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude