Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Creating replacement HD650 from CANARE L-4E6S STAR QUAD and Neutrik np3x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Creating replacement HD650 from CANARE L-4E6S STAR QUAD and Neutrik np3x

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi Guys

 

I just fiinished making a interconnect for my DAC to fiio e09k headphone amp. I used CAT5 which i pulled apart to 4 way braid for 3.5mm jack to RCA. It turned out well and sounds great. But now i'll try making a HD650 replacement cable

 

I'm considering canare L4e6s "bulk" cable from this place: http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/574498/canare-l-4e6s-star-quad-microphone-cable-per-m.html 

I think the price is reasonable (for australian prices!)

 

My question:

 

Is it ok to make HD650 replacement cables from canare L- 4e6s? and what about RCA to RCA interconnects?

 

Also i had a couple questions about the connectors this same place sells

 

 

Neutrik np3x - are these ok for 1/4" plug? or should i look for another brand such as switchcraft which many people seem to like?

http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/574554/neutrik---np3x---3-pole-14-inch-phone-plug.html

 

do these RCA plugs by Neutrik look ok?

http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/574591/neutrik-ningbo-black-rca-plug-wgold-plating.html

 

Thanks for any help


Edited by wired00 - 5/6/13 at 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

Basically you made a good choice - good quality, popular components for many DIY cables. I would consider just two changes. First is changing L-4e6s for L-4e5c, it will make the cable a bit lighter and flexible, from which you will certainly benefit if you plan to make a short (5ft or so) cable. Though i don't know if it is available in Australia. The second thing is NP3X - the jack itself is good, but i recommend gold plated version (NP3X-B).

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matez View Post

Basically you made a good choice - good quality, popular components for many DIY cables. I would consider just two changes. First is changing L-4e6s for L-4e5c, it will make the cable a bit lighter and flexible, from which you will certainly benefit if you plan to make a short (5ft or so) cable. Though i don't know if it is available in Australia. The second thing is NP3X - the jack itself is good, but i recommend gold plated version (NP3X-B).

 

great advice thank you. I've had a look though it doesn't seem they have the 'C' variation, I've emailed to find out.

 

As an alternative I could use something like :

 

Neotech Wire UPOCC Solid Core 7N Silver 24AWG Teflon

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-Wire-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Silver-24AWG-Teflon-/320965641184?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4abb0b03e0

 

or

Neotech UPOCC Solid Core 7N Copper 20AWG BLACK Teflon

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-20AWG-BLACK-Teflon-/221222689483?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item3381e65acb

 

For the hd650 cable : Is a twisted pair of 24AWG solid silver core ok per channel, or should I use quad braid? Is the resistance ok for that? The more threads the more money so i'd like to just use a single twisted pair per channel if possible

 

Cheers

 

Edit: They didn't have the gold version of the 1/4" plug but i found on ebay for ~$10 inc shipping from UK

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neutrik-NP3X-B-3-Pole-Stereo-1-4-Jack-Plug-Black-Gold-00436-/370795294210?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item56551f2e02&_uhb=1


Edited by wired00 - 5/6/13 at 10:50pm
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 

ok I've decided to go with this cable (mogami Neglex W2534):

http://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-m2534-trs-trs-1.htm

 

I can get 30feet of the cable with a neutrik gold 1/4" connector on each end for ~$60US which i think is pretty good. I'd then just cut off one neutrik connector, and leave the other one on for my hd650 cable. Then cut up the other end of the cable to make into multiple RCA to RCA interconnects, then add on the HD650 connectors to the other end of the cable with the neutrik cable already attached.


Edited by wired00 - 5/7/13 at 3:20pm
post #5 of 7

how about just something like this

 

http://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-quad-trs-trsf-1.htm

 

you can probably use the female side to make an adapter cable, the male side for your sennheiser headphone cable, and the rest for the interconnects

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantsleep View Post

how about just something like this

 

http://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-quad-trs-trsf-1.htm

 

you can probably use the female side to make an adapter cable, the male side for your sennheiser headphone cable, and the rest for the interconnects

Actually thats similar to the original cable i was going to use but i started to go down the mogami Neglex W2534 route, because people say its easier to work with as it uses nylon insulation instead of cotton (canare uses cotton) but the thing is... its nearly 2x the price! Canare quad 30feet = ~ $40. Mogami neglex quad 30feet = ~ $60 hmmm

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired00 View Post

Actually thats similar to the original cable i was going to use but i started to go down the mogami Neglex W2534 route, because people say its easier to work with as it uses nylon insulation instead of cotton (canare uses cotton) but the thing is... its nearly 2x the price! Canare quad 30feet = ~ $40. Mogami neglex quad 30feet = ~ $60 hmmm

 

Mogami cables all use polyethylene for insulation on the conductors.  The outer jacket is PVC with a spiral copper shield underneath.

 

There's extra cotton/paper in Mogami 2893 and a few others, but it doesn't make the cable "easier" to work with.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Creating replacement HD650 from CANARE L-4E6S STAR QUAD and Neutrik np3x