Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread - Page 49

post #721 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

rubber bands (bitchin' rubber bands mind you) 

Let's not forget the Blue Tarantulas...   :)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread/1395#post_9164867

post #722 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Let's not forget the Blue Tarantulas...   :)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread/1395#post_9164867

 

Forgot about those.  I actually have used buna or viton o-rings from the hardware store.  They work great.  'Course they don't say CEntrance.  The blue tarantulas and a sharpy and whammo!  CEntrance Blue Tarantulas!


Edited by aamefford - 10/2/13 at 8:50pm
post #723 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

My take on the whole IOS7 CKK plus this, plus that option vs. the iDevice version - The former is a Kluge at best, the later is a *fairly* clean and svelte set up, at least as far as anything with a dock connector and rubber bands (bitchin' rubber bands mind you) can be.  I'll take the iDevice version.  I've already determined that I can't hear the difference between a 24/96 native file and one down sampled to 24/48 or 24/44.1, so 24/96 compatibility is just icing on the cake when it happens.
I second that
post #724 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Has anyone beyond IronLung gotten the IEM mod?  Curious to see how other headphones do with the mod. 

I have also been very tempted at times to do the mod. I don't really have any hard to drive headphones at this time, and don't really see myself getting anything too demanding in the foreseeable future. I've only had a couple of sessions with my jh13 and hifi-m8, but I really did enjoy it very much. Not having any background hiss at all would be icing on the cake!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Let's not forget the Blue Tarantulas...   :)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread/1395#post_9164867

hahaha, thanks for the link!  that was funny as hell!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

post #725 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

My take on the whole IOS7 CKK plus this, plus that option vs. the iDevice version - The former is a Kluge at best, the later is a *fairly* clean and svelte set up, at least as far as anything with a dock connector and rubber bands (bitchin' rubber bands mind you) can be.  I'll take the iDevice version.  I've already determined that I can't hear the difference between a 24/96 native file and one down sampled to 24/48 or 24/44.1, so 24/96 compatibility is just icing on the cake when it happens.

 

I know someone said they'd second that,

 

so: Me too!

 

I've been having so much fun with this thing its unreal

post #726 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

I know someone said they'd second that,

so: Me too!

I've been having so much fun with this thing its unreal
Hi Mike, I'm the seconder.

I'm kinda surprised you agreed because I thought you'd hear all the differences and nuances. I'm glad that you are practical - using the Centrance supplied 30 pin to USB wire, using an iPod Classic, etc. I'm in good company.

Some of my old tunes like Billie Holiday, Benny Goodman, are in 128 Kbps but that doesn't stop me enjoying them. Of course if I can get a good CD, I'll rip them into ALAC but in the meantime, I'll enjoy listening to them - even on my Apple earpods!

Cheers.
post #727 of 1245

My main pairing will be with my PC and Android phone with occasional iPad use. I changed my preorder to a toslink LX unit when the iOS7 details emerged. Can you live without iOS support in most cases then go for the LX, if losing iOS functionality down the line is a dealbreaker I wouldn't risk going with the LX.

post #728 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAvengeR View Post

My main pairing will be with my PC and Android phone with occasional iPad use. I changed my preorder to a toslink LX unit when the iOS7 details emerged. Can you live without iOS support in most cases then go for the LX, if losing iOS functionality down the line is a dealbreaker I wouldn't risk going with the LX.
Well said. We live on opposite sides of M8 compatibility.
post #729 of 1245
:


happy! happy! happy!
post #730 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by irow View Post




happy! happy! happy!

Congrats!  What case is that?

post #731 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Congrats!  What case is that?
+1 Very nice.
post #732 of 1245

I'd like to know the case too....

 

We are such nerds.

post #733 of 1245


Pelican Storm Case iM2050 with the foam from the 650's case/box trimmed to fit...M8 just happened to fit perfectly as you see.....case is like $40.....shoulder strap as well, for slinging....
post #734 of 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by irow View Post



Pelican Storm Case iM2050 with the foam from the 650's case/box trimmed to fit...M8 just happened to fit perfectly as you see.....case is like $40.....shoulder strap as well, for slinging....

NICE!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

I'd like to know the case too....

 

We are such nerds.

 

INDEED!

My OCD leads me to a case for EVERYTHING!

 

speaking of that:

Wanted to test my HiFi-M8's battery (see if leaving it plugged-in on my desktop kills the battery life):

So it's been plugged-in, and I've been using only that and my Lehmann Linear for the last two weeks or so.

 

I unplugged it yesterday - and using it at full gain, 11 ohm (driving LCD3's) via battery I left the house and it

still have 2 lights on the battery indicator after four hours of listening!  NICE

 

So I ran it down last night (came back and it took a couple more hours to kill it - so a bit over 6 total).

 

Today it's been playing at center-position gain, 11 ohm setting, driving my LCD3's, treble and bass set to nominal

(same as before btw) and I started pumping music through it at 9:30AM, it's not 1:39PM and, still rockin' 2 battery-indicator lights!!

 

So @mgoodman has done it again.

NO worries from me on the battery life - or that keeping it plugged in will kill it!!

PSYCHED

post #735 of 1245
btw...won this 1550 on eBay today for $64 to transport my recently acquired 2504's.....2504's are currently offered on the centrance website for $250.....two great deals imho...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread