or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread - Page 42

post #616 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

My Nuforce HDP is no slouch and I still think it is one of the best values in this hobby, but it is outclassed by the M8 and will be put up for sale once I re-case it.

I owned the Icon HDP for a while and thought it was a pretty good headphone amp, however I found the built in DAC to be very average. Are you comparing both units as a whole (DAC+amp), or the individual sections? I would be interested in your evaluation comparing amp-to-amp fed from a common DAC...
Edited by vlach - 9/18/13 at 4:25pm
post #617 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

Haha!  Feels good to have it, doesn't it!

 

I'll be interested in your HD800 pairing impression as well as with IEM's.  For me it is serviceable with IEM's.  If I was going to use it frequently with IEM's, I'd be looking at the mod.  That is not my use of th HIFI-M8 though.  I wanted something that pulled digital from an iPod, that I could easily pack around, and that would drive anything I was likely to throw at it.  It fits that bill perfectly for me.  IEM's mean traveling light for me - phone or iPod and the iems.

Same here! 

post #618 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post


I owned the Icon HDP for a while and thought it was a pretty good headphone amp, however I found the built in DAC to be very average. Are you comparing both units as a whole (DAC+amp), or the individual sections? I would be interested in your evaluation comparing amp-to-amp...

 

Total unit experience.  The only DAC comparisons I did, using the HDP as the amp were with the ODAC, Modi, and Resonessence Concero.  I thought the HDP DAC was better than both the ODAC and Modi, and easily outclassed by the Concero.  

 

Even though the M8 can be used as a DAC, wouldn't you be amping the M8s amplifier/output stage with the HDP amp, so you would still be getting the M8 flavor/characteristics through the HDP?  I don't know if that is a relevant comparison.  

 

At this point, I don't know if it is the DAC, the amp, or the combo that makes the M8 better than the HDP as a DAC/amp, but there are clear improvements in three dimensional placement and dynamics.

post #619 of 1308

BTW, I know some folks have already shared, but now that more people have theirs, how are people carrying these around?  I'm thinking I'd like a Pelican or related hard case and wondering if others have found good fits.

post #620 of 1308

Also, while I don't anticipate going back to orthos anytime in the very near future, what gain settings are people using for them?  I get to my max listening levels for my HD800s midway throught the middle gain setting.  I was thinking about possibly getting the IEM mod done just to get rid of any residual noise (if I am looking for it, I can hear the hiss through my Momentums as well) as even with the mod, the M8 would still be plenty loud enough for my headphones.

post #621 of 1308

 

 I have a caselogic case I had laying around.

post #622 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

BTW, I know some folks have already shared, but now that more people have theirs, how are people carrying these around?  I'm thinking I'd like a Pelican or related hard case and wondering if others have found good fits.

 

I found this Dynex hard-drive case that's PERFECT for storing the Hi-Fi-M8 and iDevice together!

 

But then I found this odd case (leather and plastic) that's designed to fit into a larger leather bag

at this factory (I was there w/ Alex Rosson from Audeze while we were at the California Audio Show)

in San Francisco and its my dream for this rig...

 

I can fit the HiFi-M8 and cables, and its all snug and protected:

Man, I know my inner geek just makes the OCD worse,  LOL

 

The case is made by Insiders Organizers

post #623 of 1308

Does anyone know if the dimensions on the CEntrace site is the final sizes?  I'm looking for either an OtterBox or Pelican case...

post #624 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Also, while I don't anticipate going back to orthos anytime in the very near future, what gain settings are people using for them?  I get to my max listening levels for my HD800s midway throught the middle gain setting.  I was thinking about possibly getting the IEM mod done just to get rid of any residual noise (if I am looking for it, I can hear the hiss through my Momentums as well) as even with the mod, the M8 would still be plenty loud enough for my headphones.

 

With both my balanced LCD-2 and SE Mad Dogs 3.2, I use max gain @ ~11:00 volume.  With lower recorded tracks, I sometimes hit 2:00.  My UE10s are also frequently in the mix, and I'd much rather deal with a bit of hiss vs. lowering gain, so no mod for me.

post #625 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Also, while I don't anticipate going back to orthos anytime in the very near future, what gain settings are people using for them?  I get to my max listening levels for my HD800s midway throught the middle gain setting.  I was thinking about possibly getting the IEM mod done just to get rid of any residual noise (if I am looking for it, I can hear the hiss through my Momentums as well) as even with the mod, the M8 would still be plenty loud enough for my headphones.

Mad Dogs and HD650's - Middle gain, hovering between 9:00 and 11:00, or low gain, hovering 12:00 to 2:00 or so  90% of the time, middle gain.  Low gain, second or 3rd mark on the volume dial with ciems.  I haven't yet tried a headphone needing high gain.

post #626 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post

Does anyone know if the dimensions on the CEntrace site is the final sizes?  I'm looking for either an OtterBox or Pelican case...
Using the iPod classic as a point of reference, the dimensions seem to be right on. Of course, my amateur eyeballing doesn't mean much, but the numbers "look right." I've gone ahead and ordered one of these for my M8/IPC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WUBIZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1379629105&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
I'll be needing a better travel case for the HD800, but I suppose I ought to head over to the HD800 appreciation thread for that.
post #627 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post


Using the iPod classic as a point of reference, the dimensions seem to be right on. Of course, my amateur eyeballing doesn't mean much, but the numbers "look right." I've gone ahead and ordered one of these for my M8/IPC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WUBIZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1379629105&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
I'll be needing a better travel case for the HD800, but I suppose I ought to head over to the HD800 appreciation thread for that.

 

Check out the Pelican 1300.  I have one for my HD800s.

post #628 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Check out the Pelican 1300.  I have one for my HD800s.
Thanks!
post #629 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

 

Check out the Pelican 1300.  I have one for my HD800s.

 

BIG thanks!

 

I'm using a Pelican case for my ALO Studio Six (it just so happens

the one I got w/ my CEntrance Audiophile Desktop System works

PERFECTLY).  I even dropped Ken Ball at ALO this picture and suggested

they use it for Meets (as I have a few times now):

Being OCD has its advantages

 

but now I can have a Pelican case for my HD800s too!  SWEET

 

It's also PERFECT timing as I've been listening to my HD800s and the HiFi-M8 alot lately

post #630 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

Does anyone know if the dimensions on the CEntrace site is the final sizes?  I'm looking for either an OtterBox or Pelican case...

 

I also have a Pelican 1060 which will fit your M8, ipod, cables/lods and iems:

 

 

EDIT: yes the dimensions on the M8 web page are accurate:

Unit Dimensions:

127 mm (L) x 82 mm (W) x 33 mm (H)


Edited by wormsdriver - 9/19/13 at 9:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread