Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread - Page 26

post #376 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Well first of all congrats on receiving it. And you have said pretty much everything I've been saying for weeks now(better worded of course :-) ). So now at least I know I'm not crazy lol. This thing really is that good. After owning if for a while now, it's still hard to wrap my head around the fact this thing sounds this good, and it fits in the palm of your hands. Astonishing!!

that's the PERFECT word for it: Astonishing!  

 

It's infectious - my wifey has lost me to it for the last 24 hours!

 

and it's only getting better.  I'm tossing more cans at it to really test its ability to play well with others.

I haven't found a headphone it doesn't like yet!

 

Liquid, airy, punchy, all the buzzwords we LOVE.

 

Tip of the hat!!!!

What is your real opinion, Mike? Don't hold back.....biggrin.gif

 

I am glad they are living up to the hype. Big congrats to MG and the Centrance team!

post #377 of 1227
Thread Starter 

Hifi-M8 and Fostex hp_p1.

 

The difference is moar p`wer!

 

Hifi-M8 on 1ohm setting with low gain = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 2.

 

Hifi-M8 on 1ohm setting with low gain and treble +1 = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 1.

 

So are they comparable? well yes and now. Yes in that one can re-create the Fostex signature using the Hifi-M8 as above, but no when one starts to play with the ohm settings and add more gain.

 

Hifi-M8 = More clarity, options, balance and soundstage = Hifi-M8.


Edited by ExpatinJapan - 2/15/14 at 4:00pm
post #378 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Hifi-M8 and Fostex hp_p1.

 

The difference is moar p`wer!

 

Hifi-M8 on 11ohm setting with low gain = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filer 2.

 

Hifi-M8 on 11ohm setting with low gain and treble +1 = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 1.

 

So are they comparable? well yes and now. Yes in that one can re-create the Fostex signature using the Hifi-M8 as above, but no when one starts to decrease the ohm settings and add more gain.

 

Hifi-M8 = More clarity, options, balance and soundstage = Hifi-M8.

Hmmmmm.......popcorn.gif

post #379 of 1227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Hmmmmm.......popcorn.gif

Taking the Fostex hp_p1 up to the local store and selling it today.

post #380 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Hifi-M8 and Fostex hp_p1.

 

The difference is moar p`wer!

 

Hifi-M8 on 11ohm setting with low gain = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 2.

 

Hifi-M8 on 11ohm setting with low gain and treble +1 = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 1.

 

So are they comparable? well yes and now. Yes in that one can re-create the Fostex signature using the Hifi-M8 as above, but no when one starts to decrease the ohm settings and add more gain.

 

Hifi-M8 = More clarity, options, balance and soundstage = Hifi-M8.

I would agree that the above settings produces in the most general way simalar sound... but I don't think they are in the same league.  Whether driving my HD800 where the extra power is needed, or CIEM which are just fine on low gain from both units, the HiFi-M8 significantly outshines the HP-P1 in just about every way.  Clarity, nuetrality, dynamics, soundstage, ... I could go one, but you get the idea.

 

--mark

post #381 of 1227

I posted this in the Hi-Fi-M8 Thread, but had to share it here too:

 

I've been so enraptured by the sound of the HiFi-M8 + my Mad Dogs and LCD3's that I couldn't tear myself away for our new nightly tradition last night:

We always go out on our front porch and enjoy the sunset together, Alexandra (my wifey) and I.  We shut out the world - turn off the cell phones, laptops,

etc.

 

We've been doing it since we moved into our new digs just a few weeks ago.  Well, last night I couldn't help it, I wanted to listen to some Bonobo

and James Blake as the sun went down - so I brought out my HiFi-M8 and Mad Dogs.  Alex got justifiably upset, as I was cutting myself

off from her during our special time.

 

Well, lets just say I slapped the Mad Dogs on her, let rip James Blake's cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" and I couldn't get the dame thing

back!!

 

So, I went in and grabbed my LCD3's - and we BANGED some tunes, playing 1 and 1s (an old DJ term, when you're tag-teaming on the decks,

going 1 track each) while watching the sun go down.  EPIC listening sesh!!!!

 

 

post #382 of 1227
Sounds like an awesome time. This feedback makes me want one bad.
post #383 of 1227

LX owners; which portable transport are you using for the toslink input?  I am interested in what to pair with the LX, if I were to get one.

What has been your experience with the LX to date?

post #384 of 1227

Quick question on the M8.   I know that you can pair it with iOs products such as iPhone and iPad.

 

However, is there one that you can pair with android phones such as the Samsung Galaxy series?  I can't carry that many devices and lately, the Samsung Note2 has replaced almost all my electronics on short jaunts out, even my laptop and certainly my iPad.  This dac/amp would be great if it can pair with Android devices.

 

Thanks,

UL

post #385 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULUL View Post

Quick question on the M8.   I know that you can pair it with iOs products such as iPhone and iPad.

 

However, is there one that you can pair with android phones such as the Samsung Galaxy series?  I can't carry that many devices and lately, the Samsung Note2 has replaced almost all my electronics on short jaunts out, even my laptop and certainly my iPad.  This dac/amp would be great if it can pair with Android devices.

 

Thanks,

UL

both versions of the M8 will work with your note II using the USB Audio Recorder Pro app.  note2 > usb otg > hifi-m8 usb input.

 

if you don't ever intend on using the optical input, I would go for the iM8, as I think it'll be the more sought after version...

post #386 of 1227

Thanks.  Much appreciate the quick reply.

One follow up question: I'm not familiar with the USB Adio Recorder Pro app. Is it a playback app, or does it facilitate other software?  For example, I have a long list of music downloaded and played through the Spotify software.  Will the USB Audio Recorder Pro app allow Spotify to work?

 

Thanks,

UL

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsdriver View Post

both versions of the M8 will work with your note II using the USB Audio Recorder Pro app.  note2 > usb otg > hifi-m8 usb input.

 

if you don't ever intend on using the optical input, I would go for the iM8, as I think it'll be the more sought after version...

post #387 of 1227
Thread Starter 

Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) incoming impressions and appr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angular Mo View Post

LX owners; which portable transport are you using for the toslink input?  I am interested in what to pair with the LX, if I were to get one.

What has been your experience with the LX to date?

i dont have the LX.

But you would pair it with the AK100, AK120. they seem to be the popular choices.
Edited by ExpatinJapan - 8/31/13 at 5:06pm
post #388 of 1227

My HiFi-M8 arrived yesterday. I haven't had a whole lot of time with it, I've only used it with my laptop so far, but paired with my Forza Audio Works cabled Tralucent 1plus2's my initial impression is very positive. Open, smooth and balanced from top to bottom. Music just flows with an effortlessness that's addictive.

 

A big thanks to Michael, Stacie and the rest of the CEntrance team responsible for the HiFi-M8. Your dedication and attention to the details is truly appreciated. I have a feeling this is going to be a real winner.


Edited by elnero - 8/31/13 at 4:23pm
post #389 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post

Sounds like an awesome time. This feedback makes me want one bad.

SO glad our sunset listening sesh w/ the HiFi-M8 spoke to your passion.

We had a GREAT time!!

post #390 of 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post

My HiFi-M8 arrived yesterday. I haven't had a whole lot of time with it, I've only used it with my laptop so far, but paired with my Forza Audio Works cabled Tralucent 1plus2's my initial impression is very positive. Open, smooth and balanced from top to bottom. Music just flows with an effortlessness that's addictive.

 

A big thanks to Michael, Stacie and the rest of the CEntrance team responsible for the HiFi-M8. Your dedication and attention to the details is truly appreciated. I have a feeling this is going to be a real winner.

that's pretty much how I hear it too. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread