Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on 9/19/14 at 11:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- HP-P1 or HIFI-M8 for travel rig. Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 9/27/14 at 2:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for recommendations for a portable headphone DAC/AMP with 1/4" (6.3) jack. Last post on 4/20/14 at 3:06am in Portable Headphone Amps
- WTS/WTT: CEntrance DacPort for RSA Shadow Last post on 12/22/11 at 4:25am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread - Page 71
Gear mentioned in this thread:
With an increasing CD rip collection at 16/44 ALAC or AIFFs, I have turned to running subsonic.org software on iMac,
and using the IOS App iSub 3.1.5 on iPhone 5S (would work also on IOS7 iPod Touch)
to stream all my lossless files over wifi as needed. (with some local caching enabled).
Note: iSub can not stream 24/96 or 24/192 material. I've emailed developer asking why, thought I tested earlier versions and it worked.
The refurb prices on the 64gb Touches went down to $299, and that's usually an indicator of an update (speed bump). I'm really, really hoping for a 128gb iPod Touch.....
I'd buy a 128GB or higher one if it is released no doubt.
When Steve Jobs was alive, there were rumors of him wanting a player capable of higher resolution files and iTunes selling them as well. I really hope that happens some day.
128 gb iTouch with High Resolution support? I would be a happy chap. All I need is high resolution support and high capacity. 128gb is the minimum limit, I wish they could add even more than 128.
That would stink. I'd have to buy one immediately.
The challenge in getting a 128GB iPod Touch -- and hi-res files on iDevices in general -- is that hi-res is still not mainstream.
Case in point: I was happy to hear that CES 2014 was going to have a "Hi-Res Audio Experience" portion to the show. Here's the link to the exhibitors. Total number of exhibitors there: six.
Now look at the iLounge Pavilion for Apple devices. Total number of exhibitors there: 179.
If this is chicken-and-egg, let's hope that Apple takes the lead and announces some initiative on hi-res downloads with hardware support. They like to one-up CES with their own announcements sometimes.
I also suspect Michael is more "in the know" then he would let us believe. I think he's expecting Apple to do something, and he was planning his HiFi-M8 to take advantage of whatever that is. I thought it was IOS7, but maybe its a product update instead?
Im ready for the HiFiPod!!!
Seriously I can't wait, and at that hot-of-the-press price it's a STEAL!
I am really enjoying the M8. Sweet and authoritative.
I've been doing comparisons between
(1) the Centrance Hi-FI M8 stacked with an iPod Touch, and
(2) an iPod 5.5G with LOD to a FiiO E12 (DIY version, but I haven't done the op amp rolling yet).
I've been switching between the ESW9 which I've had for about seven years now, and the new headphone in the house, the LCD-2, listening to the same selections on both, mostly jazz (surprise surprise) but also some Daft Punk and Steely Dan thrown into the mix. The iPod/E12 rig sounds very, very good, but there is a clarity in the treble with the M8 rig that gives rock solid imaging and definition to everything, especially with the LCD-2. The bass is also better with the M8 rig and the LCD-2 -- the difference is much harder to hear with the ESW9.
All in all, I am very happy with the M8. Next up for me is getting some balanced cables for the LCD-2 to mate with the M8.
Edited by jazzman7 - 1/21/14 at 9:22pm
I truly enjoy the M8 with almost everything I combine it with, which basically means a few simple things in particular like my HD600/ER4-S/Noble 4/6 (although some hiss),and I do agree on the feel of more authority as posted in the above post with these units and other units I have seems to behave relative indifferently and so it goes. Overall, I have used the M8 on a daily basis for three months and not a single regret.. despite that I waited near 10 months.. I know...I had twins in the meantime.. well, not exactly me..
Anyhow, what is this.. ?
Edited by Jupiterknight - 1/21/14 at 9:57pm
- Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Unique Melody Miracle Universal Version 27 seconds ago
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 1 minute ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 1 minute ago
- › GAS? 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New sound card advice 3 minutes ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 3 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)