Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › (HD800 vs LCD-2 vs PS1000 vs HE-6) + Colorfly C4 Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(HD800 vs LCD-2 vs PS1000 vs HE-6) + Colorfly C4 Pro - Page 2

post #16 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

It doesn't matter about leakage rufrost is only interested in sound quality. Which makes life easier. I personally think you should get to have a long listen to HD800 against your current favourite rs2i with the p1000 thrown In and the gs1000 too. I am curious as to why the rs2i was to yojr taste because the signature grado sound from the cans I've heard are all about creating an exciting wall of sound with driving bass and strident highs. That sound in a one off situation has an immediacy but to my ears I've preferred the elegance and articulation of the hd800. The bass and treble and mids were better on my lcd2's than the hd800s but I sold them because I could follow the music better on my hd800s.
Does that help?


1) Thank you for supporting and explanation of what I already wrote to others))

2) Of course it helps, firstly, because I really need opinions of owners of those headphones~ what they think about them and so on. Secondly, now I now that LCD-2 in comparison with HD800 are worse for my situation, as I oriented on vocal, classical and Church Liturgy~ natural sound and music.
3) You see, the problem is I have no place where I can listen those headphones, because I live in Ottawa and partly in Russia in not big city, so both of those places do not have wide variety of top headphones which is available for hearing.
4) I really eager to hear mine C4 Pro with top Grados,HD800 and LCD-2, but there are no place where I can even listen to them(( 

post #17 of 41

Honestly, I think that the best choice for you would be a Sennheiser HD800. If you read some reviews, they are the best for classical in it's price range. 

post #18 of 41
Hi,
I suggested a pairing with bud type in ear Headphones but I see that U cannot use Buds (personally I use me Monster Copper Buds mostly & their that comfortable with the foam Supertips that I usually fall asleep waking up Hrs L8r with the buds in & my C4 Pro still at the side of the bed hehe) Anys I have Another suggestion for U friend for pairing with the C4 & IMHO This combo would suit your needs NP'S friend.
I can highly Recommend the Grado GS 1000i to use with your C4 friend as I have listened to them in a Hi-Fi shop near me in Glasgow Scotland using my C4 & going through my favourite test tunes = these cans sounded Crystal clear & never missed anything IMHO.
Only downside is their price but hey if we buy C4 Pros then what's the use in buying cheap/ rubbish to listen to them with ?
All I know is I was about to buy the Grado's until I got offered a great deal on an AMP & PHONO Leads for my main Hi-Fi system or I would be using those Grado's right now friend.

Checking here = I think they retail in the UK for £1,200 but .CA or even Russia where your at should work out cheaper IMHO.

I think the C4's cheap compared to how good it is but I also think those above Grado's are underpriced too friend as they replace the older £2,000 pair.

I can vouch they pair great with the C4 so IMHO this might be what your looking for friend as long as the price range is OK for U, even if its slightly above your price range = their still too good a pair of cans to rule out friend.

Hope I've helped U wink.gif
post #19 of 41

I have had the chance to listen to all the model that you have listed at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and although they don't seem to be the most popular choice here on Head-Fi, the PS1000 ended up being my favorite, so, do yourself a favor and audition them if you can,  before you make a final decision,  i'm glad i did.

 

Although i'm a Grado fan, i'd never badmouth another brand of headphones, that's not my style, and as far as i'm concerned, someone, who does, especially a flagship model, has zero credibility, i find that fanboyism gets in the way of objectivity.

 

The headphones that you have listed are all very good sounding headphones, so, in my opinion, you can't go ''wrong'' by chosing any of them. That being said, i find the PS1000's sound very addictive, effortless way of reproducing music, that makes them enjoyable, even at low volume, i even prefer them to my HP1000, wich are regarded by many, as THE best headphones that Grado has ever made, they even sound good, straight out of my I-Pod Nano.

post #20 of 41
You're by no means the only person out there who absolutely loves the sound signature of the p1000 s. I know of a gent who I have bought 2 headphone amplifiers off (therefore he has impeccable taste:)) who has hd800's and ps1000s and he has gone through all the top tier grado phones and stuck with the ps1000s. He prefers the overall tone of his ps1000s to the hd800s.
I prefer the ultra wide sound of the hd800s but again I can see the attraction of the grado.
I was totally against monster as a brand of headphones until jude suggested the gratitude were good iems. I picked up a half price pair and was impressed with them . Having sold 6 pairs of iems I still have these. It pays to keep an open mind and an open ear. But probably not an open wallet
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

You're by no means the only person out there who absolutely loves the sound signature of the p1000 s. I know of a gent who I have bought 2 headphone amplifiers off (therefore he has impeccable taste:)) who has hd800's and ps1000s and he has gone through all the top tier grado phones and stuck with the ps1000s. He prefers the overall tone of his ps1000s to the hd800s.
I prefer the ultra wide sound of the hd800s but again I can see the attraction of the grado.
I was totally against monster as a brand of headphones until jude suggested the gratitude were good iems. I picked up a half price pair and was impressed with them . Having sold 6 pairs of iems I still have these. It pays to keep an open mind and an open ear. But probably not an open wallet

 

I should hope that i'm not the only one who loves the PS1000, but let's be honest, the PS1000 are certainly among, if not, THE least populars among the flagships models.

 

While i really like the HD800, i have to say that if i didn't already own the PS1000 when i first heard them, the LCD-3, would've made my decision a lot harder.

post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

 

Although i'm a Grado fan, i'd never badmouth another brand of headphones, that's not my style, and as far as i'm concerned, someone, who does, especially a flagship model, has zero credibility, i find that fanboyism gets in the way of objectivity.

 

The headphones that you have listed are all very good sounding headphones, so, in my opinion, you can't go ''wrong'' by chosing any of them.

 

This.  There has not been one headphone I've owned where I didn't find something positive and enjoyable about them.  Once you get up to a certain level of quality it comes down to preference and different flavors.  Any of these you pick will have their positives and negatives for your specific preferences....but so often 'fanboyism' polarizes the reputations of very capable phones.

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

 

This.  There has not been one headphone I've owned where I didn't find something positive and enjoyable about them.  Once you get up to a certain level of quality it comes down to preference and different flavors.  Any of these you pick will have their positives and negatives for your specific preferences....but so often 'fanboyism' polarizes the reputations of very capable phones.

 

Exactly, and in the end, we have to make a choice among all these very good sounding headphones, well, most of us do anyway, i really don't get the pissing contest that some people get into, i try to connect with people on a higher level, meaning, that we all love music reproduced through headphones.

post #24 of 41
I am pleased that this thread hasn't gone the way of many and turned into a bun fight between grado and the rest.
Headphones are the great leveller where every head fier can be the expert. Unfortunately I am not even expert on my own ears and I have made some costly mistakes chopping and changing .rolleyes.gif
post #25 of 41

Great suggestions already on the table. I'll just chime in to suggest either PS1000 or GS1000. They are very easy to drive out of anything, for starters. It's indeed down to personal preference in the end.

 

GS1000 is a bit U shaped, so the mids are recessed and sometimes the headstage can come out less than perfect.

PS1000 is more balanced frequency wise and has a more solid headstage.

GS1000 is a bit more "fun" sounding and more oriented for classical music in general. Large orchestras sound beautiful.

PS1000 is excellent for jazz or small ensembles with woodwing and strings. Has better overal tone as well. Put it doesn't have the same soul on a large orchestra.

With voices, despite the differences I'm split between GS and PS really.

 

It's a personal choice as both would be quite good with the type of music OP listens to. I'd choose PS1000.

My recent experience with HD800 was a let down so I'll refrain to not recommend it, let alone for portability. It's not as if the Grados are light or small, and PS1000 are indeed an anvil... wait, there's the HE6... that's the anvil. 

 

Good luck to the OP on your final choice - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You've listed some of the best dynamics in the biz :).

post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post

Great suggestions already on the table. I'll just chime in to suggest either PS1000 or GS1000. They are very easy to drive out of anything, for starters. It's indeed down to personal preference in the end.

 

GS1000 is a bit U shaped, so the mids are recessed and sometimes the headstage can come out less than perfect.

PS1000 is more balanced frequency wise and has a more solid headstage.

GS1000 is a bit more "fun" sounding and more oriented for classical music in general. Large orchestras sound beautiful.

PS1000 is excellent for jazz or small ensembles with woodwing and strings. Has better overal tone as well. Put it doesn't have the same soul on a large orchestra.

With voices, despite the differences I'm split between GS and PS really.

 

It's a personal choice as both would be quite good with the type of music OP listens to. I'd choose PS1000.

My recent experience with HD800 was a let down so I'll refrain to not recommend it, let alone for portability. It's not as if the Grados are light or small, and PS1000 are indeed an anvil... wait, there's the HE6... that's the anvil. 

 

Good luck to the OP on your final choice - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You've listed some of the best dynamics in the biz :).

 

I agree with most of what you're saying, but as far as voices go, i definately prefer the PS1000 over the GS1000i, compared to the GS1000 non ''i'' model, the difference is even greater.

post #27 of 41

Powering the HD800s with a portable amp/dac is like powering a Ferrari with vegetable oil. Grados have much higher sensitivity and impedance and therefore are more likely to sound decent through a portable player. That being said, many TOTL headphones sound worse than their middle-of-the-line brothers in portable players. I would consider choosing a model a bit more in the middle, not only to save money but also to ensure that what you buy is performing at its best.

 

NOTE: I'm not saying the HD800s are better sounding than the Grados. They just require more power and control over the transducer.

post #28 of 41
Thread Starter 

I think now choice between HD800 and ps1000....Almost the same price, size and comments. The only problem is where to listen to both of those headphones in one place in order to compare?
I cannot find ps1000 in any musician store I have heard or have been.

post #29 of 41
Don't you think that you've hit on something there? If it's not easy to find then I start to look at what if it goes wrong; what if you don't like it when you get it how easy will it be ? The hd800 is known the world over and can be easily resold at very good prices and has a great sound for what you're looking for. Go take a listen. If you like. Buy. Can't go wrong smily_headphones1.gif
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFrost View Post

I think now choice between HD800 and ps1000....Almost the same price, size and comments. The only problem is where to listen to both of those headphones in one place in order to compare?

I cannot find ps1000 in any musician store I have heard or have been.

I'm pretty sure M8 U can buy online & try & then if U decide their DEFO not for U then simply contact your Online shop/ seller to arrange a return. I know here in the UK = U are allowed to change your mind with an online purchase from a store/ seller (as long as the goods are new etc) & U return them undamaged = U get a full refund It'll only cost U the return postage cost, here it's known as the "Distance selling Regulation" in the UK so U could maybe try that with a pair your nearest local type stores don't keep in stock... Just remember burn them in for their recommended number of Hrs & then audition away...
I hope this option is available in .CA/ .RU or maybe even the US, Any's is just a thought if U cannot test in the shop a pair U think U might be keen on wanting.

I also agree with a few of the other comments made here, as in when your using say the C4 as a source with say some nicely coded Flacs that most high end & TBH a few mid priced cans too will sound good & it may well come down to your previous purchases/ brand loyalties etc... As a lot of Quality sounding cans have been suggested here IMHO.

I hope U find then the 1's/ Flavour then U seek friend, so good luck with whichever brand/ model U finally decide on then smily_headphones1.gif

Now after me buying my PWR AMP for my main Hi-Fi here now = it'll probs be Xmas till I save up the cash again for the GS1000i's I want myself LOL.
Any's Happy music listening all smily_headphones1.gif

GreetZ J.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › (HD800 vs LCD-2 vs PS1000 vs HE-6) + Colorfly C4 Pro