Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Galaxy S4 and audio crackling issue with UE600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Galaxy S4 and audio crackling issue with UE600 - Page 3

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post

 

What i gather from your in-depth measurements is that the device sounds great except at a certain volume setting where clipping occurs driving low loads. But just changing the volume step the clipping disappears?

 

This is weird. But sure is not software fixable.

It isn't "clipping" which is usually a sign of an output current limiting thing. It is an oscillation (often called a "fuzzie"). For pure sine waves like I tested, it shows at a particular playback volume level but playback of music at a higher "volume level" with different frequency and amplitude components will also show it, even if a single sine wave at higher level doesn't. That is what some users are saying. With that sort of "instability", I'll bet that exactly at what volume levels it occurs will vary a bit with production units.  

post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensigner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post

 

What i gather from your in-depth measurements is that the device sounds great except at a certain volume setting where clipping occurs driving low loads. But just changing the volume step the clipping disappears?

 

This is weird. But sure is not software fixable.

It isn't "clipping" which is usually a sign of an output current limiting thing. It is an oscillation (often called a "fuzzie"). For pure sine waves like I tested, it shows at a particular playback volume level but playback of music at a higher "volume level" with different frequency and amplitude components will also show it, even if a single sine wave at higher level doesn't. That is what some users are saying. With that sort of "instability", I'll bet that exactly at what volume levels it occurs will vary a bit with production units.  


Just tried an S4 at a showroom and it sounded quite good with my UM3x.

It's the very first non Apple smartphone that exhibits zero hiss with my sensitive UM3x.

I did not notice this fuzzie thing but the um3x minimum impedance is 21 ohms.

What's the impedance at which the fuzzies thing begin to occur?


Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post


Just tried an S4 at a showroom and it sounded quite good with my UM3x.

It's the very first non Apple smartphone that exhibits zero hiss with my sensitive UM3x.

I did not notice this fuzzie thing but the um3x minimum impedance is 21 ohms.

What's the impedance at which the fuzzies thing begin to occur?


Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

 

Elfary I heard it clearly (but not too badly) with 16ohm IEMs, still bad enough to be a dealbreaker. It was unbearable on 12ohm IEMs. Don't think it has been reported at impedances higher than 16ohm.

 

My UE900 do not exhibit this on anything I've listened to so far, including tracks where it was painfully obvious on the more sensitive IEMs I had tried earlier. By Innerfidelity measurements the UE900 dip down to a minimum of about 17ohms impedance, but that's at about 7000Hz so may not be an issue here regardless. They are a pretty flat 20ohm through to 200HZ and then they rise up to the 30ohm mark quoted by Logitech at the 1000Hz mark.

post #34 of 64

I also notice that there is some noise floor with AKG3003 and Tralucent 1+2 IEM. It very noticeable when playing quiet passage and when you pause it, the noise floor disappear. Every time I press play, there is a hiss going on.. As compared to Ipod touch, it is really black background and music comes out of no where... same for Dacport 1 ohm mode. I am not sure if this is impedance issues or the dac/amp in the GS4 just has some of floor noise. Its very noticeable especially classical where there is a lot quiet passage. Not so noticeable with pop music. Enough for me to stop using GS4 at home and office. I only use it outside so I can't hear it.

 

 have tried several apps and player buy still has the same issue. I am currently using power amp. Any software fix? anyone? I absolutely love the GS4. 

post #35 of 64

Interesting about the noise. I have listened very carefully (but only with 32ohm earbuds and 50ohm Sennheiser) to background noise on my S4 SGH-I337 and it is absolutely quiet at 15/15 volume (paused or playing a digital silence track). This is confirmed by the noise floor in my RMAA measurements  -100 dB. I have only used the default Music player app (haven't tried Poweramp yet). I think  since modifying the kernel etc. (I haven't done any of that stuff yet) can change the internal gain settings etc. it is important to specify exactly the type of S4, any modifications and the music player used and volume setting. Also the type of track (MP3, flac etc.) *might* introduce some noise due to the audio digital-decoding which may not be present in playback of uncompressed .wav file.

One of the test .wav files I posted on the web page article includes a perfect digital-silence .wav file at 16/44.1 (a 2 min track) that might be useful for comparisons.


Edited by Jensigner - 5/14/13 at 5:49am
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

I also notice that there is some noise floor with AKG3003 and Tralucent 1+2 IEM. It very noticeable when playing quiet passage and when you pause it, the noise floor disappear. Every time I press play, there is a hiss going on.. As compared to Ipod touch, it is really black background and music comes out of no where... same for Dacport 1 ohm mode. I am not sure if this is impedance issues or the dac/amp in the GS4 just has some of floor noise. Its very noticeable especially classical where there is a lot quiet passage. Not so noticeable with pop music. Enough for me to stop using GS4 at home and office. I only use it outside so I can't hear it.

 

 have tried several apps and player buy still has the same issue. I am currently using power amp. Any software fix? anyone? I absolutely love the GS4. 

 

That's what i've experienced for years with non Apple smartphones and my UM3x.

 

But this time around (S4 9505) there's no hiss. Background its pitch black. And UM3x has a sensivity of 124.

 

So your assessment strikes me.

post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

 

Elfary I heard it clearly (but not too badly) with 16ohm IEMs, still bad enough to be a dealbreaker. It was unbearable on 12ohm IEMs. Don't think it has been reported at impedances higher than 16ohm.

 

My UE900 do not exhibit this on anything I've listened to so far, including tracks where it was painfully obvious on the more sensitive IEMs I had tried earlier. By Innerfidelity measurements the UE900 dip down to a minimum of about 17ohms impedance, but that's at about 7000Hz so may not be an issue here regardless. They are a pretty flat 20ohm through to 200HZ and then they rise up to the 30ohm mark quoted by Logitech at the 1000Hz mark.

 

I'll do a test drive with my SE215 which are about 17 ohms. I'll report back.

post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post

 

I'll do a test drive with my SE215 which are about 17 ohms. I'll report back.

 

Great! I have some UE600 shipping to me, 13ohms, so will test my i9500 with them also (also some Westone 3, but they will arrive a week later or so I think).


Edited by NZtechfreak - 5/14/13 at 6:04am
post #39 of 64
need a fix for this guys.. sorry I don't know how to offer more useful info to solve this problem..

Would getting a portable amp solve the problem in the meantime?
post #40 of 64

Get an impedance adapter. 20ohms should cover you.

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

Get an impedance adapter. 20ohms should cover you.

Depending on your headphone impedance, you may be able to go down to 10ohm series resistor and get more volume.  For example if you headset is nominally 12 ohm and you use 20ohm series resistor, you will loose ~ 7.5 dB of level compared to whats available with a direct (problematic) connection. However if you can get away with 10 ohm (for a total load of 22 ohm which should be fine) you only loose ~ 4.5 dB of level or about one extra "notch" of level using the Music player settings.  (I'll add a script calculator on the web page to help folks calculate what happens for different added series resistance.)Easy to breadboard your optimum setting.

post #42 of 64
Since i have the GT I9500 wolfson i am interested if there is a burn in time for this phone
post #43 of 64

I think Samsung really missed the boat on this S4 headphone audio output design. If you think about it, had they done proper testing with low impedance buds down to say 12 ohm, they could have done the following easy fix:

 - simply add a 10 ohm chip resistor (one per channel) in series with the headphone outputs.

 

(1) Since their stock buds are ~ 35 ohm, that would mean an effective reduction for 35 ohm buds of just 2.7 dB, dropping the available level down from a maximum 15 to slightly over 14 on the Music player scale, certainly not noticeable to any users unless you are really hard of hearing.

 

(2) With 12 ohm buds, the level drop with 10 ohm series resistance would however be about 6 dB (so instead of 15/15 max you'd get 13/15 available) which is still pretty darn high a level, BUT WITH NO NOISE PROBLEMS.  Then the only complaint from 12-ohm bud users would be something like "not quite enough volume headroom".

 

So my question:  Does anyone here know if Samsung is really tracking this information?  if so what have they said to anyone about it?


Edited by Jensigner - 5/14/13 at 8:55am
post #44 of 64

Here is a script headphone dB calculator. Use it to calculate how much volume (for a given impedance headphones) you will loose if you add a series resistor:

http://www.jensign.com/Phonesdb/

post #45 of 64

90% solved - I manage to reduce the hiss by turning off Direct Sound in the apps. Its much better now and sound quality improves a lot, its turn on by default

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Galaxy S4 and audio crackling issue with UE600