New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE535 vs... JH13 Pro? - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

He has an RWAK100 so he's not source limited, at least in theory. What silver cable, as you recommended, is $99 and why go there if you feel a $99 cable is overpriced? Seems odd.

 

I find cable differences rather significant but don't find price or material the most important determining factors. I once compared some new to used se530s. They were noticably but not greatly different until the new pair had a couple hundred hours on them, then any differences became to subjective. Whether it was the BAs, cable or xover bits, I couldn't say but they moved.

Well, $99 cable is not pure silver. It's alloy of copper and silver from Beats audio. I bought it because it looked nicer and was shorter than the stock shure cable.

However, I had a chance to try cables at a store, but I didn't think that the cables were worth $300-$500 they were priced at. Nevertheless, I can say with certainty that "cables do make a difference". If pure silver cables were cheaper, I would buy them for my UERM as well.

 

Anyways, there really isn't much upgrade we can do to the SE535. He already has a great source, SE535 doesn't need a powerful amp, so the only thing left is the cable(assuming he has high quality music).

 

Personally, I would not buy a cable that is priced over $200, unless I absolutely love and adore the SE535. I would save up for a CIEM or a better iem.

post #17 of 28

I have both of these IEMs, and to my ears, there is no comparison.  The JH-13 is several steps up the ladder from the Shure 535s, and they cost it.  I also disagree about upgrading ancillary parts in lieu of this upgrade.  The greatest sonic benefits are the major upgrades, not the cables, amp, etc, but the actual headphones.  When I had to send my JH-13s in for routine repair (nothing to be construed about the build quality, I just use them a lot), and use my Shure's as my back-up, I was like "oh man, I miss my JH-13s so much."  When I got them back, it was a great thing.  If you can afford the upgrade, that is where you want to make your investment, even if you are straight out of your source.  I use my JH-13s with a pico slim and ipod classic with a basic fiio L9 LOD.  If I went straight to my source, it'd be a noticable, but not profoundly different.  The Shure vs. the JH-13, that is a profound difference, to me.


Edited by walkman666 - 5/3/13 at 2:56pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman666 View Post

I have both of these IEMs, and to my ears, there is no comparison.  The JH-13 is several steps up the ladder from the Shure 535s, and they cost it.  I also disagree about upgrading ancillary parts in lieu of this upgrade.  The greatest sonic benefits are the major upgrades, not the cables, amp, etc, but the actual headphones.  When I had to send my JH-13s in for routine repair (nothing to be construed about the build quality, I just use them a lot), and use my Shure's as my back-up, I was like "oh man, I miss my JH-13s so much.  When I got them back, it was a great thing.  If you can afford the upgrade, that is where you want to make your investment, even if you are straight out of your source.  I use my JH-13s with a pico slim and ipod classic with a basic fiio L9 LOD.  If I went straight to my source, it'd be a noticable, but not a profound different.  The Shure vs. the JH-13, that is a profound difference, to me.

This is my list of priority when I'm planning a set up: SQ importance wise

1. Headphone/IEM

2. Music File

3. Source

4. Amp

5. Cable

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

This is my list of priority when I'm planning a set up: SQ importance wise

1. Headphone/IEM

2. Music File

3. Source

4. Amp

5. Cable


Actually, for IEM, cable changes sound more than an amp. Because usually that's a style switch that is much more ez to hear.

post #20 of 28

I cant answer what the JH13 sounds like, but i did go from a Shure 535 to a Heir 8.A and ill say, the difference was quite large. It had the bass i wanted plus mids, and didn't have the Shure's treble roll off. The 8.A didn't quite pull of jazz the way the Shure's did though but everything else was splendid. So if you're into jazz, the JH13 might not produce as well good. Have fun, and good luck with your wallet AFTER buying the JH13.

 

Regards,

Cat

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm pretty nervous about spending for JH13s after just purchasing the RWAK100, but I have gone ahead and got ear impressions made, so I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by madFloyd View Post

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm pretty nervous about spending for JH13s after just purchasing the RWAK100, but I have gone ahead and got ear impressions made, so I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.

The funny thing is that I did the same thing before. I was thinking about either JH13 or Miracle, so I got my impressions taken, and decided to buy the UERM.

post #23 of 28

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed Bunch of independent compares of what's in question here.

post #24 of 28
I had the 535's before and lost them. I was just using it straight out of a iPod. It sounded ok. I liked the sound. I bought a few iems since then including the w4r and a nice tube amp. The alo continental v3. I thought the 4r sounded amazing with the amp. Well today I bought another pair of 535's and I'm using it with this amp. All I can say is that the tube amp makes these 535's truly shine. The way they were meant to sound and driven. I know they are easy to drive and can use them just with a iPod or iPhone , but they don't do them justice ,,AT ALL!!! I'm defently LOVEN these once again. This time I'm driven them properly smily_headphones1.gif
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

I had the 535's before and lost them. I was just using it straight out of a iPod. It sounded ok. I liked the sound. I bought a few iems since then including the w4r and a nice tube amp. The alo continental v3. I thought the 4r sounded amazing with the amp. Well today I bought another pair of 535's and I'm using it with this amp. All I can say is that the tube amp makes these 535's truly shine. The way they were meant to sound and driven. I know they are easy to drive and can use them just with a iPod or iPhone , but they don't do them justice ,,AT ALL!!! I'm defently LOVEN these once again. This time I'm driven them properly smily_headphones1.gif

 

I was puzzled when I read your post - why you would use a portal IEM with a non-portable tube headphone amp... but then I googled the Alo Contental v3.  OMG, there's a portable tube amp???

 

I have the 535's so I'm very intrigued... where does on purchase this unit and how much is it?

post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madFloyd View Post

 

I was puzzled when I read your post - why you would use a portal IEM with a non-portable tube headphone amp... but then I googled the Alo Contental v3.  OMG, there's a portable tube amp???

 

I have the 535's so I'm very intrigued... where does on purchase this unit and how much is it?

Um, ignore that last part about the price... I see it's right on their website...

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by madFloyd View Post

Um, ignore that last part about the price... I see it's right on their website...
Lol sorry I should have mentioned it was portable. Yes it's costly but it was worth it. It really makes these 535's really shine. I plugged them just into my iPhone and I was like ,, ya I can see why some people would think they don't seem as good as other iems at their price. But IMO once they are driven properly they are really good. And with this tube amp it really brings out everything a lot better that's for sure. It just sucks that I had to loose a pair and rebuy another pair to find this out lol. Anyways it's a very nice amp smily_headphones1.gif
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by madFloyd View Post

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm pretty nervous about spending for JH13s after just purchasing the RWAK100, but I have gone ahead and got ear impressions made, so I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.
How do you like the ak100?? I was looking at it a while ago before I bought this amp. I liked the sound of it but I found that it lacked in power. But I'm thinking it would go good with this amp of mine ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: