I decided to get a pair of decent headphones for office work. I use HD598's at home and enjoy them, although I do get some clamping pain unlike most people.
Here's what I need:
2. A respectable amount of sound leakage (co-workers are about 15 feet from me through a partition)
3. Some isolation would be nice (my co-worker loves to chat on the phone all day) but don't need something specifically designed to block out sound
4. I listen to rock, alt rock, pop, classical, and musicals. I am not very sophisticated in my music tastes other than I don't care for excessive uncontrolled bass (which puts me in the minority), and to me vocals and midrange are most important.
5. Comfortable to wear for a VERY long time (I work between 10-12 hours a day), so hopefully no clamping pressure over time, reduced sweaty ear syndrome, and no listener fatigue
6. Budget is flexible, was looking at the M50's at $120 as a baseline, but fine with spending more: ~$150
7. Do not need to be portable; will not leave the office
8. Sources are internet radio on work desktop and iphone; could expand later to a portable amp if necessary but prefer not
I looked at the ATH-M50's but I was concerned they were either not a good value anymore (some people peg them as out-dated in today's market but I'm having trouble finding out what the trend is for closed headphones with this usage in mind now), or are too bass heavy. Thank you for the advice! I don't really have the time or desire to go try a bunch of headphones so I'm just gonna order whichever one you guys think is best from Amazon and hope for the best.
Edited by Valaire - 5/2/13 at 7:10am