or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best Smartphone for audiophile
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Smartphone for audiophile - Page 19

post #271 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post

Interesting I was not so impressed with the sound on the M8 compared to Z3 on headphones.
I wonder what DAC and amp chip the M9 has.


What headphones were you using?

 

I ended up going with an M8 coming from an original Z. The M8 can drive my Beyer DT250 80's wayyyy better than the Z which was totally inadequate. I think the M8 is almost as good as my Cowon J3 in this regard (similar max volume, not quite as clean/well defined as the J3). This has always been an issue with Sony digital players... the max volume is way too low for headphones like mine. I'm still curious if this has been fixed with Z3/Z3C

post #272 of 6372
Volume was ok with both Z3 and M8. No problems there.
I'm using. Musical Fidelity EB33. Best headphones I've owned and first ever high enders.
I felt like both phones drove them well but quality of sound on Z3 was better!

I might try an external DAC tho on my new M8 when it arrives, I decided to have the M8 because it records well and videos the audio quality I good enough for me to record my own songs and upload to youtube.

Sony Z3 record bitrate = 160kbps , built in mics not so good
HTC one M8 = 190kbps, better inbuilt mics
Nokia Pureview 808 = not sure but its the best recording quality I've heard.
Nokia Lumia 930 = also great very good audio recording
Nokia Lumia 1020? = very good but lacking in mids, great bass

All the phones are some of the best for the audio when recording video.
The pureview and 930 have great inbuilt mics and record higher bitrate audio.
The M8 is the best android, the Note 4 is 256kbps which is also good sounding.

I need android in order to control my Tascam DR44wl recorder, otherwise I buy the 930 or 808 for recording bands and live music.

Cheers
Edited by Rixsta - 4/9/15 at 12:59am
post #273 of 6372

Follow me, I have no experience in iphones, but I have heard that iphone 4 got a pretty decent quality sound. 
Now, I would like to jailbreak it, and I wonder, will it change the sound in any way? Currently I use Bongiovi dsp app on it and the quality is even better than via other apps including the built-in player.
 However I would like to jailbreak it because the constant limitations are sickening.
 Cannot even delete an mp3 song :gs1000smile: 

 

Quảng cáo: Quá trình đô thị hóa quá nhanh đã làm cho Internet việt nam trở thành một dịch vụ không thể thiếu trong cuộc sống hiện nay, một trong ba quận tp hcm có tốc độ tăng dân số cơ học cao nhất thành phố. Vì đặc điểm đông dân cư này, FPT đã ưu tiên đầu tư trước hạ tầng Gpon với dịch vụ lắp mạng fpt quận 2đăng ký internet fpt lâm đồngđăng ký internet fpt quận 6 với dịch vụ này mới trên toàn bộ địa bàn quận Gò Vấp. Và đến thời điểm hiện tại, tất cả các địa điểm thuộc Quận Gò Vấp đã được thay bằng hạ tầng internet cáp quang để đảm bảo tối đa tốc độ cao, cũng như chất lượng mạng ổn định ở khu vực đông dân khi quý khách đăng ký internet fpt đà lạtđăng ký internet fpt bình thuậnđăng ký internet fpt ninh thuận hãy liên hệ ngay với chúng tôi để được trải nghiệm dịch vụ nhanh nhất.


Edited by quangngaicity - 5/10/15 at 4:27am
post #274 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by quangngaicity View Post

Follow me, I have no experience in iphones, but I have heard that iphone 4 got a pretty decent quality sound. 

Now, I would like to jailbreak it, and I wonder, will it change the sound in any way? Currently I use Bongiovi dsp app on it and the quality is even better than via other apps including the built-in player.

 However I would like to jailbreak it because the constant limitations are sickening.

 Cannot even delete an mp3 song gs1000.gif

Decent, but not at audiophile level, all apples devices lack the density, authority, the extension of a natural music notes and tonality. They may be clear, detailed, with soundstage (artificial) ofcourse. You will never get the performance, the emotions, the musical and changes in tonality and timbres of the instruments and the music itself.

Drum beats sound like beats, and on the ZX2 sounds like drums as instruments.

There is no such thing as Audiophile Smarthphone yet......Yet.
post #275 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post

Volume was ok with both Z3 and M8. No problems there.
I'm using. Musical Fidelity EB33. Best headphones I've owned and first ever high enders.
I felt like both phones drove them well but quality of sound on Z3 was better!

I might try an external DAC tho on my new M8 when it arrives, I decided to have the M8 because it records well and videos the audio quality I good enough for me to record my own songs and upload to youtube.

Sony Z3 record bitrate = 160kbps , built in mics not so good
HTC one M8 = 190kbps, better inbuilt mics
Nokia Pureview 808 = not sure but its the best recording quality I've heard.
Nokia Lumia 930 = also great very good audio recording
Nokia Lumia 1020? = very good but lacking in mids, great bass

All the phones are some of the best for the audio when recording video.
The pureview and 930 have great inbuilt mics and record higher bitrate audio.
The M8 is the best android, the Note 4 is 256kbps which is also good sounding.

I need android in order to control my Tascam DR44wl recorder, otherwise I buy the 930 or 808 for recording bands and live music.

Cheers
 
I owned L1020, L930 and i can honestly tell you, WP is not great in the audio department ... still no aptX support and FLAC will only come soon' when WP10 launches - correctly me if i am wrong .. but there is no WP that contains DAC / AMP build in ...(but i love their camera), still using L1020 almost on a daily basis .... although i am no audiophile expert, after getting Meizu MX4 Pro ... i can really hear the difference ... 
 
 
 

Edited by rosw - 4/14/15 at 9:10am
post #276 of 6372
Any thoughts on this new phone ? Any comments are welcome 
 
 
least on paper specs, how does it compare to HTC One M9, VIvo, MX4 Pro or even XiaoMi Note Pro?
 
 
The LeTV-HQ7A chip is the chip that does all the heavy music lifting in the LeTV Max, and it's accompanied by a low-dropout linear LDO regulator that improves power supply stability, and reduces background noise and distortion issues. The phone also supports both 44.1KHz and 48KHz sampling rates via a double-watch crystal system, so that you don't have any artifacts like distortion for files converted between the two sampling rates. We're including the official audio stats right below for the pros to decipher.
 
 
post #277 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosw View Post

Any thoughts on this new phone ? Any comments are welcome 


 




 


least on paper specs, how does it compare to HTC One M9, VIvo, MX4 Pro or even XiaoMi Note Pro?


 


 


The LeTV-HQ7A chip is the chip that does all the heavy music lifting in the LeTV Max, and it's accompanied by a low-dropout linear LDO regulator that improves power supply stability, and reduces background noise and distortion issues. The phone also supports both 44.1KHz and 48KHz sampling rates via a double-watch crystal system, so that you don't have any artifacts like distortion for files converted between the two sampling rates. We're including the official audio stats right below for the pros to decipher.


 


 


Advertisements are looking really good, but these digital circuitry not only require quality components, but also require much of the board design, and material being used.

Harmonic distortion and or noise floor are only one of the many things to consider in high end audio quality.

For all those said, I checked the specs, it didn't look like the phone was made for UsA 4G networks. mad.gif
post #278 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

I wonder if the Nokia N Series music phone from back in the mid noughties will get an honourable mention in this thread smily_headphones1.gif


Nokia devices were real music benchmarks in mid 00's, I still remember how good the sound was from a little 5310 Xpress Music and how loud it was on the N91, which was IMHO the only portable player compatible with big cans of up to 300 Ohms at that time.

 

So sad that Nokia is no more a beast in music...

post #279 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by quangngaicity View Post
 

Follow me, I have no experience in iphones, but I have heard that iphone 4 got a pretty decent quality sound. 
Now, I would like to jailbreak it, and I wonder, will it change the sound in any way? Currently I use Bongiovi dsp app on it and the quality is even better than via other apps including the built-in player.
 However I would like to jailbreak it because the constant limitations are sickening.
 Cannot even delete an mp3 song :gs1000smile:


The Iphone 4 is very good at music playback (stock player without jailbreak), clean, loud and decent output, but if you haven't bought it yet just don't do it !

 

Why?? : This device is obsolete by 2015 standards in terms of everything, no more IOS update above old vers. 7.x, poor specs that barely match an entry level smartphone of 2015, you surely won't get a stock battery in ''good health'' as the model is from year 2010, unless you take it to the shop for an official battery replacement which will cost you about 35-50% the price you'll pay for the phone, not to mention that iphone 5 and 5s with better output can be found for less than $ 300 in very good condition with available support from Apple.

 

If you already own it, use it as it is, just don't proceed on jailbreak as it will affects the stability of some features, it's better to spend $5-10 on App store getting the music or whatever application you need than having to waste $50-100 to get it repaired in case of damage due to hacking.

 

I still don't understand why people have to hack their devices thinking that it will be better, faster and stronger. As a result, you'll have about 50% of bad luck to hard brick your device, and in some cases the motherboard will have to be replaced as everything gets corrupted.

 

'' If you want a Ferrari, get a Ferrari, don't get a Mini Moke hoping it can be changed into a Ferrari''


Edited by thepooh - 4/14/15 at 1:43pm
post #280 of 6372
If your just using the headphone out on a cellphone, thats not ever going to give you true audiophile sound quality. Just my opinion. Any hifi audiophile headphone will require the use of a DAC & amp to power em.
post #281 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowndspektrum View Post

If your just using the headphone out on a cellphone, thats not ever going to give you true audiophile sound quality. Just my opinion. Any hifi audiophile headphone will require the use of a DAC & amp to power em.
QFT.

All the talk in other threads about hi res on phones is all a bit moot to me, no phone will have the quality of components needed, irrespective of your standpoint of if hi res is worth it.

Even the Z4 if it does come with the S-Master chip, they're not going to go up against the ZX1 for more than one reason.
post #282 of 6372
Any high(er) end phone should be perfect enough for audiophiles. Don't think there are audible benefits of an audiophile portable player and a good phone (as iPhone 6, Sony z3 etc.).
post #283 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post


QFT.

All the talk in other threads about hi res on phones is all a bit moot to me, no phone will have the quality of components needed, irrespective of your standpoint of if hi res is worth it.

Even the Z4 if it does come with the S-Master chip, they're not going to go up against the ZX1 for more than one reason.


Agree with that point ! Even with the S-Master chip, the Z4 won't be on par with the ZX1 on Hi-Res playback for more than one reason, but mainly for commercial issues regarding the brand new ZX2 !

 

If one can get full satisfaction on the smartphone at $700, why bother purchasing the dedicated high end dap at $1300 ??? The audio chip will surely be a mobile version with only 35-50% of it's capacity unlocked (battery saver wise), as long as lossy mp3 and 16bit flacs are concerned, no one will complain :wink_face:

post #284 of 6372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben123 View Post

Any high(er) end phone should be perfect enough for audiophiles. Don't think there are audible benefits of an audiophile portable player and a good phone (as iPhone 6, Sony z3 etc.).

No, you are wrong. Any high end smartphone can be enough for just listening to sounds....songs....tracks....but not the music, and or the soul, the emotions of the song track.

There is a huge different between a smartphone vs any dedicated player.

1/ smartphone can never be loud enough, in some case if they can, the sound will be distorded or sloppy.

2/ smartphone has not a sophisticated clocking system for the notes and its tonality accuracy.

3/ the interferences of electrical noises between low quality components in the smartphone, such as resistors, capacitors, shielding, grounds, circuitry ....etc will affect the lean and clean of the sound, which will more than likely alter the sound much further away from the original sound. An example would be a drum will sound like a bass beat, instead of your ability to tell the kind of the drum from a note being played. Hell, I personally hear the differences between stock copper cables vs Oxygen free Copper upgraded cables.

4/ with all the being slimmer and battery saving, while getting the better radio signals to your phone calls quality, the interferences can be even worse. The power needed to drive a specific notes, and or to apply the correct power to one signal can be in-accurate due to battery saving.....and low quality components.....and the lack of a clocking system. You will never be able to tell the correct positions of an instruments, singer in the sound acoustic field. Even with the use of the most quality DAC chip on the market. This will result in an inaccuracy of soundstage, imagines, and positionings....then much more.

I concluded all those above from my own experiences of several high end smartphones....vs high end DAP. More specifically, IPhone 5s, 6, Z3, Note 4 Exynos vs NW-ZX2.

High-end smartphones can only give you a glimpse into the audiophile world, but never can be considered audiophile. You can never hear the most realistical beats, and tonality within the track on any smartphone. Now with the high end DAP, you can possibly hear it, depend on the DAP......which was never possible couple years ago.....but only when you invest into expensive home stereo system.....like those of 40,000$ or more.
Edited by Whitigir - 4/15/15 at 4:34pm
post #285 of 6372
Well then, a smart phone is perfect for me. I'm not into disecting every note or sound I hear. I want to hear the music as a whole. And as for discerning every drum beat, or string plucked, that's not what I'm about. So IMO, there is room for "audiophile" smartphones in the market. And having less to carry is a bonus in my mind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best Smartphone for audiophile