If I had to choose I would keep the Fostexes.
Related Forum Threads
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 4/15/15 at 3:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Paradox Slants as EndGame HP over everything else Last post on 2/8/15 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900 for sale Last post on 8/6/14 at 12:26pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Looking for ideal headphone for Fostex HP-A8c Last post on 1/17/15 at 2:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Search for an Amp to pair with HD800. Please help... Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Cayin C5DAC: A Deadly Challenger in the Portable Market *Please click on the photos for the highest quality. [[SPOILER]] About me & IntroductionI am a student who is a music...
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My TH900s dig somewhat more texture and what I take to be insight and realistic character to vocals and some instruments, kind of like what
I heard in Sony R10s. The bass is looser and not as focused as the HD800s. The bass seems to come from everywhere on the TH900s and has less detail than
on the HD800s. It's a bigger bass area on the TH900s, while on the HD800s the bass seems to come from the center or sometimes even nicely linked to whatever
instrument is generating it.
But the midrange things seem to be less point sourced (though still well locatable), and are just plain bigger and more 3D where I can see into them
(I guess that's something I would call object transparency, or I would describe it as organic).
If you get the TH900s, down the line try to tweak your system so that bass is tight and controlled and you'll be fine, because this is the main thing they need
a little help in to sound awesome. I use both tube and solid state amps with great results.
I think that's a lot easier than trying to get more insight and sweetness and liquidity from the HD800s, which you can do, but it takes a lot more work
(tubes help a lot with the Senns).
And I when I listen to my TH900s, I do not feel like I want any more soundstaging in any dimension, just subjectively, I don't even think about it, they are fine in this area.
The HD800s focus a lot on the area around the musical objects, while the TH900s focus deeply on the objects themselves.
It's not at all that the Senns are opaque or anything, it's just that the Fostexes are better at looking into each object.
I've had the TH900s over a year now and They've really grown on me and I wouldn't be without them.
I think they came out of nowhere to be a classic.
Edited by rgs9200m - 6/27/13 at 6:42pm
I have done a fun audio journey, from inexpensive Little Dot amplifiers to quite expensive gear like Woo Audio WA22. To me the equipment journey is half the fun - to tweak the sound - and the other half is to sit down and listen to some good music with a nice whisky. Therefore I have to own both HD800 and TH900 because, like some other people already has pointed out, they are just different... with different pros and cons. But if my main interest were to get a pair of headphones and then forget about equipment, then I would get TH900. They sound nice straight out of my iPhone and iPad. It is quite recently I started to really like my HD800 - when my WA22 got married with NAD M51 - and that is a lot more money than an iPhone. If I would have to just have one headphone I would keep HD800 - they sound better to me but need an expensive rig to sound really good.
+1 HD800 if I could only have one of the two.
Had both but kept hd 800 because they came closer to my high-end speaker system sound. Also with 800 I can more easily forget I'm listening to headphones. The th-900 on the other hand imo had to much bass for hip hop and R&B and I found the treble too smooth and laid back.
agree on every account about the speakers and HD800 - just wrote it up on the HD800 forum but also love the TH900 because of the bass! When I'm in the mood to just have that fun listening experience it hits gets that itch...
Edited by jjshin23 - 7/1/13 at 1:28pm
- Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 2 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Do I really need another controller DAC? 3 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 9 minutes ago
- › pupDAC Step-by-Step Build Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 9 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)