If I had to choose I would keep the Fostexes.
Related Forum Threads
- 【Price Dropped】 £750 for sale Audio Technica W3000ANV (with replacement W2002 earpads) Last post on Yesterday at 11:48 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- IC: 2-3 month Headphone Swap (My TH900 or W3000ANV for your HD800) Last post on 10/18/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Amplifier upgrade considerations? Last post on 9/27/13 at 10:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please help! Should I get LCD3 with HD800 or LCD3 with TH900? Last post on 10/15/13 at 2:10pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Listening to Headphones - Am I doing it wrong?! Last post on 8/8/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800 - Page 2post #16 of 656/24/13 at 9:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 656/27/13 at 2:47pmI agree with rgs9200m I think the Fostex are more about musical enjoyment the HD800 are about fantastic engineering depends on what is more important to you.post #18 of 656/27/13 at 6:38pm
My TH900s dig somewhat more texture and what I take to be insight and realistic character to vocals and some instruments, kind of like what
I heard in Sony R10s. The bass is looser and not as focused as the HD800s. The bass seems to come from everywhere on the TH900s and has less detail than
on the HD800s. It's a bigger bass area on the TH900s, while on the HD800s the bass seems to come from the center or sometimes even nicely linked to whatever
instrument is generating it.
But the midrange things seem to be less point sourced (though still well locatable), and are just plain bigger and more 3D where I can see into them
(I guess that's something I would call object transparency, or I would describe it as organic).
If you get the TH900s, down the line try to tweak your system so that bass is tight and controlled and you'll be fine, because this is the main thing they need
a little help in to sound awesome. I use both tube and solid state amps with great results.
I think that's a lot easier than trying to get more insight and sweetness and liquidity from the HD800s, which you can do, but it takes a lot more work
(tubes help a lot with the Senns).
And I when I listen to my TH900s, I do not feel like I want any more soundstaging in any dimension, just subjectively, I don't even think about it, they are fine in this area.
The HD800s focus a lot on the area around the musical objects, while the TH900s focus deeply on the objects themselves.
It's not at all that the Senns are opaque or anything, it's just that the Fostexes are better at looking into each object.
I've had the TH900s over a year now and They've really grown on me and I wouldn't be without them.
I think they came out of nowhere to be a classic.
Edited by rgs9200m - 6/27/13 at 6:42pmpost #19 of 656/27/13 at 7:31pmMy pick is hd800, particularly since the addition of my new (used) spdif converter, sonicweld diverter. Hd800, particularly with good live recording, is very live-like. But still I don't think I want to part with my th900.post #20 of 656/27/13 at 10:44pmpost #21 of 656/28/13 at 8:12amMy humble opinion:
I have done a fun audio journey, from inexpensive Little Dot amplifiers to quite expensive gear like Woo Audio WA22. To me the equipment journey is half the fun - to tweak the sound - and the other half is to sit down and listen to some good music with a nice whisky. Therefore I have to own both HD800 and TH900 because, like some other people already has pointed out, they are just different... with different pros and cons. But if my main interest were to get a pair of headphones and then forget about equipment, then I would get TH900. They sound nice straight out of my iPhone and iPad. It is quite recently I started to really like my HD800 - when my WA22 got married with NAD M51 - and that is a lot more money than an iPhone. If I would have to just have one headphone I would keep HD800 - they sound better to me but need an expensive rig to sound really good.post #22 of 656/29/13 at 12:42pmpost #23 of 657/1/13 at 4:51ampost #24 of 657/1/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
+1 HD800 if I could only have one of the two.post #25 of 657/1/13 at 12:48pmpost #26 of 657/1/13 at 12:51pmpost #27 of 657/1/13 at 1:16pmHad both but kept hd 800 because they came closer to my high-end speaker system sound. Also with 800 I can more easily forget I'm listening to headphones. The th-900 on the other hand imo had to much bass for hip hop and R&B and I found the treble too smooth and laid back.post #28 of 657/1/13 at 1:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by cradon
Had both but kept hd 800 because they came closer to my high-end speaker system sound. Also with 800 I can more easily forget I'm listening to headphones. The th-900 on the other hand imo had to much bass for hip hop and R&B and I found the treble too smooth and laid back.
agree on every account about the speakers and HD800 - just wrote it up on the HD800 forum but also love the TH900 because of the bass! When I'm in the mood to just have that fun listening experience it hits gets that itch...
Edited by jjshin23 - 7/1/13 at 1:28pmpost #29 of 657/5/13 at 9:31am
- Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 59 seconds ago
- › Seeking feedback on a new motion-based MIDI controller that... 1 minute ago
- › Wearing IEMs in your nose? 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Just received my noble 8cs/ an evolutionary and participatory review 1 minute ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 4 minutes ago
- › CD vs Turntable , whats better with a small budget 5 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 5 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi