If I had to choose I would keep the Fostexes.
Related Forum Threads
- Search for an Amp to pair with HD800. Please help... Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Phones for Movie Watching Last post on 12/28/13 at 9:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 【Price Dropped】 £750 for sale Audio Technica W3000ANV (with replacement W2002 earpads) Last post on 12/5/13 at 11:48am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- IC: 2-3 month Headphone Swap (My TH900 or W3000ANV for your HD800) Last post on 10/18/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Amplifier upgrade considerations? Last post on 9/27/13 at 10:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800 - Page 2post #16 of 766/24/13 at 9:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 766/27/13 at 2:47pmpost #18 of 766/27/13 at 6:38pm
My TH900s dig somewhat more texture and what I take to be insight and realistic character to vocals and some instruments, kind of like what
I heard in Sony R10s. The bass is looser and not as focused as the HD800s. The bass seems to come from everywhere on the TH900s and has less detail than
on the HD800s. It's a bigger bass area on the TH900s, while on the HD800s the bass seems to come from the center or sometimes even nicely linked to whatever
instrument is generating it.
But the midrange things seem to be less point sourced (though still well locatable), and are just plain bigger and more 3D where I can see into them
(I guess that's something I would call object transparency, or I would describe it as organic).
If you get the TH900s, down the line try to tweak your system so that bass is tight and controlled and you'll be fine, because this is the main thing they need
a little help in to sound awesome. I use both tube and solid state amps with great results.
I think that's a lot easier than trying to get more insight and sweetness and liquidity from the HD800s, which you can do, but it takes a lot more work
(tubes help a lot with the Senns).
And I when I listen to my TH900s, I do not feel like I want any more soundstaging in any dimension, just subjectively, I don't even think about it, they are fine in this area.
The HD800s focus a lot on the area around the musical objects, while the TH900s focus deeply on the objects themselves.
It's not at all that the Senns are opaque or anything, it's just that the Fostexes are better at looking into each object.
I've had the TH900s over a year now and They've really grown on me and I wouldn't be without them.
I think they came out of nowhere to be a classic.
Edited by rgs9200m - 6/27/13 at 6:42pmpost #19 of 766/27/13 at 7:31pmMy pick is hd800, particularly since the addition of my new (used) spdif converter, sonicweld diverter. Hd800, particularly with good live recording, is very live-like. But still I don't think I want to part with my th900.post #20 of 766/27/13 at 10:44pmpost #21 of 766/28/13 at 8:12amMy humble opinion:
I have done a fun audio journey, from inexpensive Little Dot amplifiers to quite expensive gear like Woo Audio WA22. To me the equipment journey is half the fun - to tweak the sound - and the other half is to sit down and listen to some good music with a nice whisky. Therefore I have to own both HD800 and TH900 because, like some other people already has pointed out, they are just different... with different pros and cons. But if my main interest were to get a pair of headphones and then forget about equipment, then I would get TH900. They sound nice straight out of my iPhone and iPad. It is quite recently I started to really like my HD800 - when my WA22 got married with NAD M51 - and that is a lot more money than an iPhone. If I would have to just have one headphone I would keep HD800 - they sound better to me but need an expensive rig to sound really good.post #22 of 766/29/13 at 12:42pmpost #23 of 767/1/13 at 4:51ampost #24 of 767/1/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
+1 HD800 if I could only have one of the two.post #25 of 767/1/13 at 12:48pmpost #26 of 767/1/13 at 12:51pmpost #27 of 767/1/13 at 1:16pmHad both but kept hd 800 because they came closer to my high-end speaker system sound. Also with 800 I can more easily forget I'm listening to headphones. The th-900 on the other hand imo had to much bass for hip hop and R&B and I found the treble too smooth and laid back.post #28 of 767/1/13 at 1:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by cradon
Had both but kept hd 800 because they came closer to my high-end speaker system sound. Also with 800 I can more easily forget I'm listening to headphones. The th-900 on the other hand imo had to much bass for hip hop and R&B and I found the treble too smooth and laid back.
agree on every account about the speakers and HD800 - just wrote it up on the HD800 forum but also love the TH900 because of the bass! When I'm in the mood to just have that fun listening experience it hits gets that itch...
Edited by jjshin23 - 7/1/13 at 1:28pmpost #29 of 767/5/13 at 9:31am
- Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 2 minutes ago
- › Audiophilleo 2, IFI IUSB, Audiobyte Hydra-X impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 6 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 7 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob