Just bought the Schiit bifrot, can't wait to test it. Hope it will do better than my FireStone Audio dac
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions Last post on 11/4/16 at 10:20am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best amp dac combo unit under $1000 Last post on 6/5/15 at 11:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650's looking for a new headphone amp Last post on 2/22/15 at 7:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit stack wanted! - Bitfrost + Amp (See inside) Last post on 1/21/15 at 8:36am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Schiit Lyr + Bifrost combo doesn't improve my music at all Last post on 11/27/14 at 7:09am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade - Page 56
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did you go Uber? I love mine; it was an upgrade over my V-DAC II.
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,
I was wondering if you had any suggestions on helping me keep my optical cable secure connected to my Bifrost Uber. The problem I am having is that I use optical cables to connect it to my Titanium HD soundcard (bypassing the Titanium HD’s DAC). I have to use a special Optical cable (Toslink Cables) to connect it. (see attached pic)
My Titanium HD uses a mini Toslink cable on one end, and of course the Bifrost Uber uses the standard size Toslink Optical cable. I have 2 brand new cables for them, both are on the cheap side. The one is a mini Toslink cable to regular Toslink optical cable that came with the Titanium HD, the other one I purchased from Newegg for around $10 (yes, like I said they are cheap).
Anyhow, when connecting the regular sized Toslink cable to the Optical-in of the Bifrost Uber it is extremely loose and slightly touching it, much less moving the Bifrost Uber, will cause it to come out. Now this may not be a big deal for some people, but since my Optical cable is connected to my Titanium HD’s optical output, it is behind my PC, which is also behind a desk against the wall making it extremely difficult to crawl under there to get it and re-attach it, just for it to come loose again when it comes loose from the Bifrost Uber (the mini-plug connected to the Titanium HD is fit securely, it's just the Bifrost Uber's opitical-in that is extremely loose and comes out extremely easily, but when it comes out, like stated above, it falls down behind my desk and computer making it difficult to get, and this happens quite a bit).
Which brings me to my point. Are there any recommendations anyone can recommend as far as optical cables or perhaps an easier solution so that the optical cable fits securely into the Bifrost Uber? I am not sure if it is the optical port on the Uberfrost that is the issue, or if it is just the Optical cables (I have tried two of them, granted they are cheaper ones).
If you have any recommendations and/or easy solutions that I could do to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or if there is a reasonable priced mini Toslink to regular Toslink cable you can recommend I would greatly appreciate it, although if there is a simple solution that I could do with something I have around the house that would be even better.
You're gonna love it. I don't use USB very often, but in the past, I could usually hear a difference when using it. With the Gen 2 USB, I can't hear a difference. It's USB done right.
Hi, thank you for the reply, yes I did take the rubber cap off of both cables. I can get sound from both cables through the Bifrost Uber, the cable just does not fit securely and is very loose. The slightest movement of the cable and it will come out. I don't know if it is just because of cheap cables or why it is so loose in the Bifrost Uber's optical port.
Did you push the cable all the way in until you felt a click? There is a tooth on the plug that snaps in to place. Once clicked, it will still wiggle a little bit, but it won't fall out. I'm using optical on my Bifrost, and the cable wiggles, but is secure.
Thank you for the reply, I have pushed it in as far as it will go, but it doesn't click. This is true for both cables that I have. It's still extremely loose even when I push it in as far as it will go. I even triple checked to make sure that the cable was inserted the correct way, but just for the heck of it, I tried turning it upside down just to see if perhaps I was putting it in upside down, but still the same effect. The cable does work, it is just extremely loose and neither cable does not click into place at all. I could perhaps understand with one cable, but I have tried two different cables, granted they are only around $10 cheap cables, but they both do not click into place and they are so loose that I could almost blow on them and they will come out.
What is the garage door dust cover? The only thing I have back there is the black plastic port the optical cable goes in. It looks like this : (I don't have the USB port, but you can see the optical ports in these pics)
When you say "Garage Door, do you mean this as pictured below?
When did you buy your Bifrost? I bought mine about a month ago, and my port looks like this (pic from web).
This is how the optical ports look in all my devices, but I have seen the one with the pull out dust cover. I suspect this is why your cable is loose because of slight manufacturing variations in the female and male parts between brands.
There wasn't a swinging door that came with it, and I have the cap, but in order to access the optical port, in needs to be removed. I can look for the cap as I am sure I put it in a safe place, but as I remember, the cap just covered the optical port and needed removal before you could insert an optical cable into it. If you look at the pic above with the cap on, there is no where to put an optical cable.
- Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 4 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › *NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT* Jerry Harvey Audio - Performance Series... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › IC: Stax SR-Omega 8 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 8 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 10 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 11 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear