Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade - Page 53

post #781 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post
 

 

I'm an EE and can't argue raw numbers.

 

But don't forget that the raw specs of a DAC aren't as important as the implementation of the DAC.

 

And I'm not really making any specific point, and definitely not saying for sure that there's a difference.  My brain sure perceived it, whether it's fabricated or not, but unless I have two bifrosts to do side by side testing, I won't ever know for sure.'

 

But like you said, for that price, why not.

Part of the implementation is the better USB and the Coax and Optical SPDIF. The rest I will leave to my imagination. ;) Compared to other quality DAC's, they're practically giving it away.

post #782 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Part of the implementation is the better USB and the Coax and Optical SPDIF. The rest I will leave to my imagination. ;) Compared to other quality DAC's, they're practically giving it away.

 

Yeah the price is incredible.  Especially when reviewers are comparing them to 4 digit priced DACs.

 

And if your imagination wants to hear an increase in sound quality, LET IT!  :k701smile:

post #783 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post
 

 

Oh, and did anyone else get angry at the three leds?  It wasn't quick or easy to get them back into the holes on the front of the unit.  I had to get the PCB close to the front, with a flashlight shining light in from the side, then use a skinny screwdriver to get in to bend each one to the height of the holes to get them to line up.  I had to take a couple attempts before getting all three perfect, but I finally got it.  That's probably the single hardest part of the install.  The power button I held in place with masking tape from the front.  It never fell out the entire time. 

 

The trick with the LED's is to put the circuit board in first, the LED's slide right in their slots, THEN slide in the dark grey inner housing and screw together. Piece of cake.

post #784 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post

And if your imagination wants to hear an increase in sound quality, LET IT!  :k701smile:

 

Amen to that!

post #785 of 1139

Yea not commenting on the rest of the DAC, but those LEDs are the worst design I have ever seen! There are SOO many better ways to have done that setup and with their decision (which may have come after the fact) to allow owners to do their own upgrades they should have picked a better setup than having long leaded 2mm LEDs line up with holes in an outer, separate chassis! I found the button to be a pretty lame design too. I know it works, but it doesnt even match the aluminum of the rest of the chassis.

post #786 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruleof72 View Post
 

As a happy Magni owner I'm very interested in the Bifrost Uber as an upgrade for my Squeezebox Classic's internal DAC. But before I spend the money I'd like to get any feedback available from anyone who has hooked the Bifrost up to a Squeezebox and what the differences were.

 

Any feedback on this?


I have a squeezebox duet linked to the Bifrost Uber. (squeezebox duet => Bifrost Uber => Nad C356 BEE => HE-500)

It's a huge difference in sound quality, now way ! More than I am expected.

I think it will be the same for the Squeezebox Classic : http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

 

That said, I think a cheaper dac than the Bifrost Uber will improve also the sound in a satisfactory manner.

(As I said, the dac of my CD player is just as good if no better in my opinion so I plan to sell my Bifrost Uber to buy a Nad Dac MDC 2, which fits into the Nad amp .)
 


Edited by Rudiger - 3/6/14 at 12:12am
post #787 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
 


I have a squeezebox duet linked to the Bifrost Uber. (squeezebox duet => Bifrost Uber => Nad C356 BEE => HE-500)

It's a huge difference in sound quality, now way ! More than I am expected.

I think it will be the same for the Squeezebox Classic : http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

 

That said, I think a cheaper dac than the Bifrost Uber will improve also the sound in a satisfactory manner.

(As I said, the dac of my CD player is just as good if no better in my opinion so I plan to sell my Bifrost Uber to buy a Nad Dac MDC 2, which fits into the Nad amp .)
 

Thanks for the feedback. Does the NAD MDC 2 work independently of a NAD amp?

post #788 of 1139

One of the black screws near the IEC (power) connector stripped out on me.  Probably my fault, but I felt kinda bad about that.  The other black screw back there is fine, so it holds together nice and tight.  Should have time to do some listening tonight.

 

The "problem" is, I went from an Asgard 1 to an Asgard 2 at the same time as I did the Uber upgrade.  So if it sounds better, who knows which component I have to thank for that.  Which is not a bad problem to have.  :)      

post #789 of 1139

And thanks for the tips in here on how to properly line up those LEDs.  That helped a lot with the reassembly.

post #790 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR2014 View Post
 

One of the black screws near the IEC (power) connector stripped out on me.  Probably my fault, but I felt kinda bad about that.  The other black screw back there is fine, so it holds together nice and tight.  Should have time to do some listening tonight.

 

The "problem" is, I went from an Asgard 1 to an Asgard 2 at the same time as I did the Uber upgrade.  So if it sounds better, who knows which component I have to thank for that.  Which is not a bad problem to have.  :)      


Same happened to me. Again a poor design choice on their behalf. You notice they used very coarse screws for that part to try and get better grip in the soft plastic of that IEC part which was not mean to be screwed into like that.

post #791 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post


Same happened to me. Again a poor design choice on their behalf. You notice they used very coarse screws for that part to try and get better grip in the soft plastic of that IEC part which was not mean to be screwed into like that.

Same happened to me as well!
post #792 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruleof72 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Does the NAD MDC 2 work independently of a NAD amp?

No...
post #793 of 1139

How does it compare to ODAC and Essence One ?

post #794 of 1139

hey guys looking to get the Bifrost Uber, yet wanted to know more info, as far as i see here the Treble is extended and crispy, which i really like

what does make me worried and even sell the DAC on sight is the mid range, is it dry? laid back a little? nothing is worse than Dry mid range for a female vocal :<

thanks in advance for the info ^^

 

currently on the WA7's DAC, Musical mid range , not warm , nice treble extension, yet its the time to get a "DAC Only" option, 
i hated the concero and any warm amp. 
 

post #795 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini44 View Post
 

hey guys looking to get the Bifrost Uber, yet wanted to know more info, as far as i see here the Treble is extended and crispy, which i really like

what does make me worried and even sell the DAC on sight is the mid range, is it dry? laid back a little? nothing is worse than Dry mid range for a female vocal :<

thanks in advance for the info ^^

 

currently on the WA7's DAC, Musical mid range , not warm , nice treble extension, yet its the time to get a "DAC Only" option, 
i hated the concero and any warm amp. 
 

The Uber removes some grain. Treble is smooth. Midrange is nice. Bass is tight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade