Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade - Page 35

post #511 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

I don't have much experience with different DACs. Can anyone tell what is characteristic for Bifrost (Uber) soundwise in comparison to other DACs?
Uberfrost is far better than Bifrost, and it matches almost SQ of BDP-105 as a dac for Flac decoding.
Also it is way better than Matrix mini.
I think it is very economic solution for high level of SQ.
post #512 of 1237

I had my eye on the Bifrost for the longest time (my home amp is a Lyr with Siemens tubes), but I was able to snag a Dac-It (Peachtree) used for a good price. Once that gets settled in, I might pull the trigger on the Bifrost Uber and do a massive shootout (if I don't like it, I'll just return it in the 15 day window). I'll probably need two DAC's anyway, one for home/PC and another for work (using my DX50 as a transport and a Magni).

post #513 of 1237

I just decommissioned my Uberfrost for driving my Lry in preference of Oppo BDP-105.

Because it does not match to the SQ of BDP-105 in overall performances.

For only as DAC it might be equivalent to but it does not have other functions of the Oppo.

post #514 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post
 

I just decommissioned my Uberfrost for driving my Lry in preference of Oppo BDP-105.

Because it does not match to the SQ of BDP-105 in overall performances.

For only as DAC it might be equivalent to but it does not have other functions of the Oppo.


I have a chance to sample that Oppo before at a hifi store. Tbh, the fact that it is such a beast at multi-tasking makes me not trust its' straight up DAC abilities. Just means more stuff to possibly go wrong.

 

How would you describe the side-by-side performance of the two?

post #515 of 1237
SQ of oppo bdp-105 is better than Uberfrost to my year.
You can go to BDP-105 review for more detail.
I can say it is more fluid, or euphonic.

I did not connect the unit through USB but through HDMI to flac.
post #516 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
 

I had my eye on the Bifrost for the longest time (my home amp is a Lyr with Siemens tubes), but I was able to snag a Dac-It (Peachtree) used for a good price. Once that gets settled in, I might pull the trigger on the Bifrost Uber and do a massive shootout (if I don't like it, I'll just return it in the 15 day window). I'll probably need two DAC's anyway, one for home/PC and another for work (using my DX50 as a transport and a Magni).

 

I have both.   The DAC-IT is no slouch, but the Bifrost uber is maybe a bit more dynamic, a bit more extended.  The Bifrost has a mechanical relay so it does the click/thunk noise when you click on things in windows.   Some people might not mind, it drives me nuts so I'm using the Bifrost in another (non-PC) system.   I love the black case:  

 

post #517 of 1237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet View Post

 

The Bifrost has a mechanical relay so it does the click/thunk noise when you click on things in windows.   Some people might not mind, it drives me nuts so I'm using the Bifrost in another (non-PC) system. 

 

I've read about the clicking here and there but I have never experienced that at all. Not over USB, not over optical. Is my Frosty something special?

post #518 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

 

I've read about the clicking here and there but I have never experienced that at all. Not over USB, not over optical. Is my Frosty something special?

 

You're using a windows PC, yes?   Mine clunks all the time.   Perhaps you've turned off your system sounds and rarely change sampling rates.   Or maybe your gear is not real close to your chair. 

post #519 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

 

I've read about the clicking here and there but I have never experienced that at all. Not over USB, not over optical. Is my Frosty something special?

 

You're using a windows PC, yes?   Mine clunks all the time.   Perhaps you've turned off your system sounds and rarely change sampling rates.   Or maybe your gear is not real close to your chair. 


You're right about it all. Windows, system sounds off (ofcourse) and no sample rate switching. Now that you mention it I remember. Noob down!

post #520 of 1237

anybody know what to do when it says please connect CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device when trying to install software for bifrost?

post #521 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictional View Post
 

anybody know what to do when it says please connect CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device when trying to install software for bifrost?


Do you have the bifrost turned on and connected to the computer when you are installing the drivers?

 

driver install directions from schiit.com guides (Click to show)
Once you’ve downloaded the drivers:
 
Step 1: Go to your Downloads folder (or Desktop, or wherever you had Windows put the drivers.)
 
Step 2: Double-Click on the Schiit_USB_1.03.zip archive to expand it.
 
Step 3: Click on the folder: Schiit_USB_1.03 to open it.
 
Step 4: Connect Bifrost or Gungnir with a standard USB cable, 2M or less in length, with true USB 2.0 rating.
 
Step 5: Double-click on “setup.exe.” This will automatically select the correct driver for your version of Windows.
 
Step 6: Follow the prompts from the installation program to install the drivers. You may have to restart your computer.
 
Step 7: In your Control Panel/Audio Devices, select “Speakers: Schiit USB Interface.” You may also have to select it in the player software you are using in order to get output.
 
Step 8: Enjoy your music!

Edited by bearFNF - 12/1/13 at 5:47pm
post #522 of 1237
Step 4: Connect Bifrost or Gungnir with a standard USB cable, 2M or less in length, with true USB 2.0 rating.

 

I am using optical cable and when i press install the statement comes out and I can't install the software.

post #523 of 1237
I don't think you use drivers for optical. You might have to change your PC settings to optical out for audio.
post #524 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
 

 

I have both.   The DAC-IT is no slouch, but the Bifrost uber is maybe a bit more dynamic, a bit more extended.  The Bifrost has a mechanical relay so it does the click/thunk noise when you click on things in windows.   Some people might not mind, it drives me nuts so I'm using the Bifrost in another (non-PC) system.   I love the black case:  

 

 

Thanks! I can definitely envision the Dac-It not quite having a lot of low end punch (it's begging for some extension), but it seems to roll off the highs nicely and seems to encourage me to turn up the volume on my Lyr (they seem to have good synergy). It's JUST analytical enough, but I'm getting nice, big sound out of it that really fun too. At some point, I do want to do a side by side comparison with the Bifrost Uber, but I'm happy for right now. Also, Dac-It runs super cool, so I can stack my Magni on it. Good for a cramped up cubible. Does the Bifrost Uber run hot, like the Lyr/Magni?

 

One thing I noticed through Dac-It/Lyr...On my AD2000x, guitars are really upfront. On my HD800, they are more far back. Am wondering if that is just due to soundstage differences of the headphones, that my other DAC wasn't rendering before.

post #525 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictional View Post
 
Step 4: Connect Bifrost or Gungnir with a standard USB cable, 2M or less in length, with true USB 2.0 rating.

 

I am using optical cable and when i press install the statement comes out and I can't install the software.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anavel0 View Post

I don't think you use drivers for optical. You might have to change your PC settings to optical out for audio.


Yep, no drivers for optical, its called USB driver for a reason...just sayin'

Need to select the optical out in you sound config on the computer you are using.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade