Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade - Page 17

post #241 of 1116

Listened to my son's LCD2rev2's on my Lyr/Bifrost after I got the Uber upgrade.  The most noticeable difference to me from what I remember from the LCD's before the upgrade was the increase in detail across the board...and as people have mentioned in this thread in other places, especially toward the higher end.  This may or may not be a welcomed addition for you on the treble side because it can seem a hair brighter....but many who have LCD2's are looking for a bit more in that rolled-off treble region.  Soundstage to me is a bit more 3 dimensional to my ears...bit more space between instruments.  I would be very surprised if you weren't happy with the Uber unless there is an overconcern with not wanting your high end signature sound affected.  Good luck.


Edited by billerb1 - 5/28/13 at 12:39pm
post #242 of 1116

Anyone have any experience listening to the Uber with a pair of HD 650's? I imagine it is a similar experience to that of the LCD 2? 

post #243 of 1116
All going well, I'm about a week away from finishing a review using two other dacs for triangulation.

Using LCD 2 mostly (some T1) and an ss and tube amp, but no plans to include the lyr unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post


Anybody else, with Bifrost Uber-upgrade, (Lyr) & LCD-2 headphones?
I would love to get more first-hand impressions.
What are the most distinct improvements in the sound of LCD-2 thanks to Bifrost Uber-upgrade? Is there a big difference in highs, in soundstage, spaciousness/airness?
post #244 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by billerb1 View Post

Listened to my son's LCD2rev2's on my Lyr/Bifrost after I got the Uber upgrade.  The most noticeable difference to me from what I remember from the LCD's before the upgrade was the increase in detail across the board...and as people have mentioned in this thread in other places, especially toward the higher end.  This may or may not be a welcomed addition for you on the treble side because it can seem a hair brighter....but many who have LCD2's are looking for a bit more in that rolled-off treble region.  Soundstage to me is a bit more 3 dimensional to my ears...bit more space between instruments.  I would be very surprised if you weren't happy with the Uber unless there is an overconcern with not wanting your high end signature sound affected.  Good luck.


Thanks!

If the upgrade makes LCD-2s a bit brighter, it would be a desirable change for me as well as more 3 dimensional soundstage:-)

post #245 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

All going well, I'm about a week away from finishing a review using two other dacs for triangulation.

Using LCD 2 mostly (some T1) and an ss and tube amp, but no plans to include the lyr unfortunately.


It will still be very valuable information. Looking forward to it!

post #246 of 1116

Woohoo Schiit is ready for my Bifrost! Is there any reason to drop my Bifrost off at USPS for delivery today (Saturday) or tomorrow? Not sure if they ship on weekends. Would like to get some good listening before I ship out, but don't want to hold anyone else up.

post #247 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post


Thanks!

If the upgrade makes LCD-2s a bit brighter, it would be a desirable change for me as well as more 3 dimensional soundstage:-)

 

With additional listening sessions under my belt, I now feel like the uber has brightened the LCD2s. I also spent some time with my Ella & Louis sacd, which I use to test for sibilance because Louis' voice is nearly unbearable issue. I definitely noticed more sibilance than I recall hearing previously. However, this is one of the only albums that can actually make me uncomfortable with the LCD2s, so I would in no way interpret this as a universal effect of the uber. That being said, I have notice a brighter sound.

post #248 of 1116

Hello, this is my first post to head-fi.  I just installed the Uber and Gen2 boards today.  Thanks to the contributors here who shared pictures and instructions, the upgrade was very smooth. (One screw holding the power inlet was loose to begin with -- someone tightened too much at production). My original board was a v2.10 (with two blue wires going up the board).  I haven't seen any image posted with that board.  My first impressions of the Uber.  I hated it. Flat, and lacking as if someone took my music and trapped it somewhere behind a thick wall.  The flatness was very similar to the original Bifrost when I received it. That opened up slowly over time until it sounded sublime.  The Uber is not there yet, but after a few hours of listening, detail is coming out and it is starting to sing (but not there yet). Did anyone experience similar issues?  It seemed to me that everyone loved it from minute 1, and so perhaps my expectations were just high.

 

The Gen2 board is as advertised. I'm using it with Linux (atom based server I built). Linux has no trouble identifying the device and playing bot perfect sound to it through the "direct hardware device". For those interested:

 

$ lspci: ... 02:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04) ... [My USB PCIe card]

$ lsusb: ... Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0319 C-Media Electronics, Inc. ...

$ cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0

  Schiit Schiit USB Audio Device at usb-0000:02:00.0-1, high speed : USB Audio

  Shows three interfaces, S16_LE, S24_3LE, and S32_LE all with rates:  44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 and data packet interval 125us.

$ aplay -L: Shows that hw1,0 is:

  Schiit USB Audio Device, USB Audio
  Direct hardware device without any conversions

 

Boulos

post #249 of 1116

Never had any flatness in mine. What is in the rest of your system? Did you do a listening session prior to the upgrade? I haven't heard anyone else really say that the upgrade flattened out their SQ. 

post #250 of 1116

Hi Byronb. Yes, I did a listening session before and everything sounded as good as usual.  The bifrost is feeding into a custom 211 Tango-based amp, Zu Union speakers, and REL B3 sub. The sound is definitely opening up but since it's night I can only listen at very low volumes now :-)

post #251 of 1116

Well I hope that it gets to the point that you are looking for. 

post #252 of 1116

Could I have blown something on the card while installing it?  I'm assuming it would just not work in that case.

post #253 of 1116

I would think if you had damaged something it would most likely not operate. Perhaps drop Jason a line. He is awesome about answering questions.

post #254 of 1116

I think it would be hard to mung up unless you used a magnet and were wearing a fuzzy sweater and slippers.

post #255 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

I think it would be hard to mung up unless you used a magnet and were wearing a fuzzy sweater and slippers.

Or rubbed your cat on it. tongue_smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade