or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 67

post #991 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


I need a rx7, with its small AND powerful engine biggrin.gif

 

That also needs a rebuild way sooner than the average piston engine blocks! biggrin.gif

 

Worthy trade-off if it's not your daily driver though; not like a Sunday car will get to 40k to 50k miles within two years, unless you run endurance races or drive it across the country to get to the track.

post #992 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post


At risk of being redundant as I'm sure these have been discussed many times elsewhere :

 

I think the Cowon C2 uses an audio chip that integrates both DAC and headphone driver. These DAPs are "properly engineered" for audio reproduction, so instead of a single chip (running headphones at, probably, Class B), it has a dedicated DAC chip(s), an opamp, then a dedicated headphone driver chip - all of which were originally designed for a CDPlayer hooked up to the power grid at 100v to 240v. Even 100v is a lot more than what it actually requires, but that doesn't mean a 7v-9v battery is enough. Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

 

Spot on beerchug.gif

 

 

other facets of X5 battery implementation were discussed earlier, here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/285#post_9469299

post #993 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post


At risk of being redundant as I'm sure these have been discussed many times elsewhere :

 

I think the Cowon C2 uses an audio chip that integrates both DAC and headphone driver. These DAPs are "properly engineered" for audio reproduction, so instead of a single chip (running headphones at, probably, Class B), it has a dedicated DAC chip(s), an opamp, then a dedicated headphone driver chip - all of which were originally designed for a CDPlayer hooked up to the power grid at 100v to 240v. Even 100v is a lot more than what it actually requires, but that doesn't mean a 7v-9v battery is enough. Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

 

Oh I get all that!

That doesn't mean that a company can't focus on squeezing more juice of their batteries or use bigger ones with more capacity (most of these DAPs look awful anyway! lol).

 

Also, do you consider HiSound Studio V as a properly engineered DAP? Because that one can go for at least 25+ hours as well (playing a combination of MP3s/FLACs/WAVs) with Ok sound reproduction as well... the UI just completely sucks and was reason enough for me to get rid of it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

Spot on beerchug.gif

 

 

other facets of X5 battery implementation were discussed earlier, here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/285#post_9469299

 

Thanks for the link!

post #994 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Oh I get all that!

That doesn't mean that a company can't focus on squeezing more juice of their batteries or use bigger ones with more capacity (most of these DAPs look awful anyway! lol).

 

Also, do you consider HiSound Studio V as a properly engineered DAP? Because that one can go for at least 25+ hours as well (playing a combination of MP3s/FLACs/WAVs) with Ok sound reproduction as well... the UI just completely sucks and was reason enough for me to get rid of it!

 

 

Thanks for the link!


Studio V can't play high res files and it is a hiss machine like the rest of the Hisound products. Hiss is less but still there. I prefer to get 24/192 playback, black background and lower battery if necessary. Studio V, in some ways good dap but as a total product, IMO, it is kinda fail. Put 24/192 playback, black background, easier UI (not necessary bigger), it would be a properly engineered product.

post #995 of 19490

Do you use IEMs by any chance then?

I never noticed excessive Hiss with my headphones using the Studio V...

post #996 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Something missing from the poll...

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

I really hate these players only providing enough juice for 10 or so hours!! frown.gif
If a tiny Cowon C2 can provide 30+ hours or the newer D20 can provide 80 hours, we can a properly engineer DAP cannot even reach 20?!?

Definitely would love good sound reproduction + line-out + 30+ hours battery life for one of these new players...
The new high res daps have approx 10 hours battery for the sole reason that they are being engineered correctly.
post #997 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Do you use IEMs by any chance then?

I never noticed excessive Hiss with my headphones using the Studio V...


I have SE5way as a ciem. I am not gonna lie, I don't own Hisound but I probably read everything about it in Head-fi. I was darn interested to buy one, I even contacted some people who owns it and ask their opinion. At the end I decided not to buy it because some of its negative sides are just huge and important for me.

 

At the end it is our priorities and what we need basicly. Studio V is not giving what I need and in my understanding, with those big flaws, I don't accept it as a properly engineered dap. Still a wonderful concept though, the durability battery life and size.

 

Anyway there is no perfect dap for anybody. We check the device and if the device gives what we demand then we buy it.

post #998 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Oh I get all that!

That doesn't mean that a company can't focus on squeezing more juice of their batteries or use bigger ones with more capacity (most of these DAPs look awful anyway! lol).

 

Also, do you consider HiSound Studio V as a properly engineered DAP? Because that one can go for at least 25+ hours as well (playing a combination of MP3s/FLACs/WAVs) with Ok sound reproduction as well... the UI just completely sucks and was reason enough for me to get rid of it!

 

 

Thanks for the link!

 

The Studio V's UI (and small, monochromatic screen) are also keys to its battery life. Simpler = more efficient. Nowadays, people would like to see album art, among other things, even if not necessarily a touch screen. That's all thanks to the iPod. As for bigger batteries, they're already trying to minimize the overall package. Just because a Galaxy S phone on an extended battery is still pocketable doesn't mean the same extended battery will have space on an X3, X5, DX100, DX50, etc.* Some people expect them to be pocketable, and the ones that they don't will probably still end up a bit too thick.

 

Also, I kind of remember reading somewhere that keeping batteries too compact with too high capacity can make them unreliable, which is why some designs like the S:Flo went for a battery that can do more charging cycles. It's not a simple matter of, say, 1,000 charging cycles every 10hours of use vs 5,000 charging cycles every 20hours of use (which means they're about equal), but a cramped high-cap bat tends to bloat sooner and before battery life is noticeably weak (heck even "normal" batteries mainstream electronics companies go for have been known to explode, like that guy in Korea who was killed by his own phone). I can't find where I read that before though, someone with more engineering know-how has to chime in for this.


Still, I'd have to say I'd also prefer a bigger battery DAP with a proper amp when the alternative is strapping an iPod and a 9v or 7v-powered portable amp together. Heck, some stack them four-deep (iPod, digital transport, balanced DAC, balanced amp). The thing with a recharging pack though is it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged into (and therefore not right next to) the device all the time as with a portable amp. On a long flight, I can have a relatively large DAP and the battery pack on different compartments of the camera section of my laptop+camera bag, then hook up the cable when I sleep.

 

 

 

 

*DX50 has a user-replaceable battery, but I don't see a battery door on the photos. I assume that to get around the clunkiness of a battery door, "user replaceable" just means you won't need to pry it open like an iPod, but not necessarily that you could swap them out within a minute like on a Samsung Android phone. That might not have been much of an issue with Discmans (although I've lost one or two) since they aren't in any way pocketable, but my AA-powered MDs were.

post #999 of 19490

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at the DX50 also... looks good.

But I guess that I'll stick with my Cowon in the meantime and use their headphone-out --> Amp... Their sound is not the best but it's respectable.

post #1000 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at the DX50 also... looks good.

But I guess that I'll stick with my Cowon in the meantime and use their headphone-out --> Amp... Their sound is not the best but it's respectable.

 

What headphones are you using? For the most part, I've felt the S9 and J3 (I assume the same for most other Cowons given its the same or same type integrated audio chip) didn't need any amps for IEMs, but of course at some point 15mW@32ohms isn't going to cut it for many headphones.

post #1001 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

 

What headphones are you using? For the most part, I've felt the S9 and J3 (I assume the same for most other Cowons given its the same or same type integrated audio chip) didn't need any amps for IEMs, but of course at some point 15mW@32ohms isn't going to cut it for many headphones.

 

Usually:

 

Ultrasone Signature DJs

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs

Perfect Sound Dido D901

Monster N-Pulse

 

All of them sound Ok without amp with the exception of the Mad Dogs.

Don't use any EQ or Cowon enhancements.

Right now, I'm connecting the headphone out via RCA cable to a Schiit Magni.

It sounds good to me and the Magni has enough power to move the Mad Dogs ;-)

post #1002 of 19490

I hope the X5 won't share the X3's unappealing diagonal button style set up.

post #1003 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Usually:

 

Ultrasone Signature DJs

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs

Perfect Sound Dido D901

Monster N-Pulse

 

All of them sound Ok without amp with the exception of the Mad Dogs.

Don't use any EQ or Cowon enhancements.

Right now, I'm connecting the headphone out via RCA cable to a Schiit Magni.

It sounds good to me and the Magni has enough power to move the Mad Dogs ;-)

 

I'd stick with the S9 for now if it's still working properly. The X5 isn't too far off given your player is functional, plus the DX50 is too close to the X3's price point (and its still getting its FW kinks worked out), so really no need to rush. I myself am waiting for a comparative review (and for people who bought each to attend a local meet so I can listen for myself) of all three before I pull the trigger, given I'm still paying off some hospital bills and don't even have a really good IEM or portable headphone to pair with any of them anyway, so I'm stuck with my convenient MEE M6P and my smartphone.

post #1004 of 19490

I really think USD 400 is going to be the sweet spot for a great budget friendly audiophile quality DAP that has enough usability to appeal to non-tech nerds. I hope Fiio hits this out of the park.

 

Other than great sound and build quality, I'd love to see 15 hours + battery life and 2 SD slots for cheaper memory.


Edited by Stuff Jones - 8/23/13 at 8:06pm
post #1005 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Jones View Post

I really think USD 400 is going to be the sweet spot for a great budget friendly audiophile quality DAP that has enough usability to appeal to non-tech nerds. I hope Fiio hits this out of the park.

 

Other than great sound and build quality, I'd love to see 15 hours + battery life and 2 SD slots for cheaper memory.


2 Normal sized SD slots would be cheaper and give us more memory I would also liked that but if James and his team chose 2 ''micro'' sd card slots, I am sure they know something better than we do. I always like more memory as long as it doesn't come with negative sides attached to itself. So I respect James's decision, 2 micro sd slots are fine for me. It will be in a slim package, you won't have to stack external hard drive or ssd or something else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread