or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 66

post #976 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

Personally I'd hope it sports dual PCM1704, so I can have dual ess (901), dual wolfson (ak120), and a dual burr-brown DAP  :)   biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

 

The Hifi ET MA9 has that double 1704 inside and it sounds good.

 

 

First of, PCM1704 has been discontinued for too long for FiiO to source enough quantity. Even HifiMan has trouble sourcing enough last year to keep the HM801 production going, so they have to stop for a few months. It will be very unwise for FiiO to use PCM1704.

 

Second, there is no such a thing as single vs. dual PCM1704. It is a single channel chip, so you always need two chips to have a stereo signal. PCM1972 that is going into the X5 is already a dual channels chip, and I'll rather have one optimized chips rather than randomly stuffing two chips together just for marketing purpose.

post #977 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

First of, PCM1704 has been discontinued for too long for FiiO to source enough quantity. Even HifiMan has trouble sourcing enough last year to keep the HM801 production going, so they have to stop for a few months. It will be very unwise for FiiO to use PCM1704.

 

Second, there is no such a thing as single vs. dual PCM1704. It is a single channel chip, so you always need two chips to have a stereo signal. PCM1972 that is going into the X5 is already a dual channels chip, and I'll rather have one optimized chips rather than randomly stuffing two chips together just for marketing purpose.

 

I will be happy with one PCM1972 too.

 

Also the PCM1704 is not capable to reproduce high resolution music.

 

On the other hand, I would not say that implementing a DAC for each channel is just for marketing purpose.

post #978 of 19479

X5 will bring both worlds together. Affordable and high quality sound with many features. I packed up my ciem, waiting patiently.

post #979 of 19479

This interests me. Subbed!

post #980 of 19479

I'm ready to be wow'd FiiO. Do it. 

post #981 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

I'm ready to be wow'd FiiO. Do it. 


+1. Waiting patiently.

post #982 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

On the other hand, I would not say that implementing a DAC for each channel is just for marketing purpose.

 

Of course now. I love my HM901. But AK120? That's another story.

post #983 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

First of, PCM1704 has been discontinued for too long for FiiO to source enough quantity. Even HifiMan has trouble sourcing enough last year to keep the HM801 production going, so they have to stop for a few months. It will be very unwise for FiiO to use PCM1704.

 

Second, there is no such a thing as single vs. dual PCM1704. It is a single channel chip, so you always need two chips to have a stereo signal. PCM1972 that is going into the X5 is already a dual channels chip, and I'll rather have one optimized chips rather than randomly stuffing two chips together just for marketing purpose.

 

Yes.  I agree 1792 is the much better choice.  Most these "dual" thing is really more of a gimmick while the specific implementation, as well as the amp section design, will affect the sound way more than using 1 or 2 of the DAC chip.  While my comment is mostly in jest though I'll have to admit I'm curious how the ET MA9 sound as I do like the 1704.... 

post #984 of 19479

I'm excited like everyone else. Waiting...

post #985 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

Of course now. I love my HM901. But AK120? That's another story.

 

:) I think more of my T51(RIP) and less of the MA9.

post #986 of 19479

I have to say I was a little underwhelmed with some of the X3 reviews, due to relatively lackluster hardware. Now, with the upcoming X5 my interest is back in full effect. Hope they really go for a top tier DAC and amp. 

post #987 of 19479

James, whether the player FiiO X5 maintain rapid replacement batteries? For example as implemented in the iBasso DX50 (where a battery of Samsung Galaxy S3, which can be quickly replaced).

post #988 of 19479

Something missing from the poll...

 

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

 

I really hate these players only providing enough juice for 10 or so hours!! :(

If a tiny Cowon C2 can provide 30+ hours or the newer D20 can provide 80 hours, we can a properly engineer DAP cannot even reach 20?!?

 

Definitely would love good sound reproduction + line-out + 30+ hours battery life for one of these new players...

post #989 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Something missing from the poll...

 

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

 

I really hate these players only providing enough juice for 10 or so hours!! :(

If a tiny Cowon C2 can provide 30+ hours or the newer D20 can provide 80 hours, we can a properly engineer DAP cannot even reach 20?!?

 

Definitely would love good sound reproduction + line-out + 30+ hours battery life for one of these new players...


At risk of being redundant as I'm sure these have been discussed many times elsewhere :

 

I think the Cowon C2 uses an audio chip that integrates both DAC and headphone driver. These DAPs are "properly engineered" for audio reproduction, so instead of a single chip (running headphones at, probably, Class B), it has a dedicated DAC chip(s), an opamp, then a dedicated headphone driver chip - all of which were originally designed for a CDPlayer hooked up to the power grid at 100v to 240v. Even 100v is a lot more than what it actually requires, but that doesn't mean a 7v-9v battery is enough. Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

post #990 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

I need a rx7, with its small AND powerful engine biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread