or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 65

post #961 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyd4 View Post


It seems as though although you ragged on my first post in here that sadly we agree on something entirely.


I ragged on your first post? I don't even remember it mate but please accept my apologize if I sounded rude.

post #962 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


I ragged on your first post? I don't even remember it mate but please accept my apologize if I sounded rude.
Haha not at all. I had my head in the clouds saying things like lists combine all things amazing and put them in this dap. I have since done significant reading and adjusted expectations somewhat.
Looking forward to
post #963 of 19490
My mobile phone not posting miss sentence.... And also what fiio come up with.
post #964 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

based on the poll result, seems the majority wants a high end chip on the upcoming x5...

 

in Hong Kong, you can mod your X3 from 8740 to 8741 for around 100USD....
 

 

Which is odd consider PCM1792 is top of the line among TI's DAC and nothing less compared to ES9018 when implemented correctly. The only problem is that it is not as trendy and fashionable as ESS to mention.

post #965 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

Which is odd consider PCM1792 is top of the line among TI's DAC and nothing less compared to ES9018 when implemented correctly. The only problem is that it is not as trendy and fashionable as ESS to mention.


i see... so the only valid improvement is to increase the capacity so to store more music...

post #966 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

Which is odd consider PCM1792 is top of the line among TI's DAC and nothing less compared to ES9018 when implemented correctly. The only problem is that it is not as trendy and fashionable as ESS to mention.


Do you have a guess what FiiO is planning to do with it? I mean, do you think we will have quite reference type, neutral sound or something warm? I don't know that DAC, I didn't listen to it before so I have no idea is it a bright one or warm or neutral but I know whichever it is, still the implementation will give the final sound type.

 

Honestly, I am hoping to get a neutral type of sounding DAP, I hope that's what FiiO is planning too. Because I believe, daps should be flat and the headphone and amp decisions should add coloration if it is needed.

post #967 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Honestly, I am hoping to get a neutral type of sounding DAP, I hope that's what FiiO is planning too. Because I believe, daps should be flat and the headphone and amp decisions should add coloration if it is needed.

Given that the X5 is supposed to be all-in-one, even more so than the X3, maybe the built-in amp section should offer some coloration options.

But, yeah, to my knowledge FiiO moved from their trademark warm signature to something more neutral with E12, maybe that's where they're headed with X5 as well.

post #968 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

Given that the X5 is supposed to be all-in-one, even more so than the X3, maybe the built-in amp section should offer some coloration options.

But, yeah, to my knowledge FiiO moved from their trademark warm signature to something more neutral with E12, maybe that's where they're headed with X5 as well.


I agree, E12 is nothing like E11. I also hope that FiiO will keep their neutral tone in X5 too and let the users decide how they will color the sound with their other gears.

 

Nevertheless, I believe, it will be one of the greatest price/performance ratio product. All those features from a 400 $ dap? It is like a dream.

post #969 of 19490

BTW, did you know that HiFi-M8 (the LX version) only has optical Toslink and USB for input? If only we could have some transport with USB-OTG or optical output rolleyes.gif

(Yes, I know it's been brought up in this thread before.)

post #970 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

BTW, did you know that HiFi-M8 (the LX version) only has optical Toslink and USB for input? If only we could have some transport with USB-OTG or optical output rolleyes.gif

(Yes, I know it's been brought up in this thread before.)


Honestly, I am not interested in that device, so I stopped reading about it and all happy_face1.gif but, I got your point wink.gif

post #971 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


Do you have a guess what FiiO is planning to do with it? I mean, do you think we will have quite reference type, neutral sound or something warm? I don't know that DAC, I didn't listen to it before so I have no idea is it a bright one or warm or neutral but I know whichever it is, still the implementation will give the final sound type.

 

Honestly, I am hoping to get a neutral type of sounding DAP, I hope that's what FiiO is planning too. Because I believe, daps should be flat and the headphone and amp decisions should add coloration if it is needed.

 

I have the PCM1972 in the Xonar STU. In a way it is very similar to the PCM1704 in HM801. To me, an ESS chip tends to want you to listen to individual note instead of the whole music passage, preferring transparency over musicality and often in the leaner and drier side of presentation. A Wolfson chip tends to be polite and try not to mess thing up, but also slightly duller and flavourless. An ToTL TI chip will tend to sound fuller and richer, preferring musicality over total transparency. Personally I don't see ESS as inherently better than TI chip. What ESS lacks is exactly the strength of TI, vice versa. With the right implementation however, both can sound incredibly good. Even the Wolfson WM8740 in FireStone CustomCute sounds really good as well, just show you how important the implementation is.

 

No, I don't know the detail on X5 yet.

post #972 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


Honestly, I am not interested in that device, so I stopped reading about it and all happy_face1.gif but, I got your point wink.gif

My interest for the M8 comes primary from considering the Alpha Dogs. The Fostex drivers are rated at 50 or 55 Ohm but it is said that all orthos need a lot of power to drive them properly, so the E12 or the pretty powerful Tralucent T1 are not enough.

post #973 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

I have the PCM1972 in the Xonar STU. In a way it is very similar to the PCM1704 in HM801. To me, an ESS chip tends to want you to listen to individual note instead of the whole music passage, preferring transparency over musicality and often in the leaner and drier side of presentation. A Wolfson chip tends to be polite and try not to mess thing up, but also slightly duller and flavourless. An ToTL TI chip will tend to sound fuller and richer, preferring musicality over total transparency. Personally I don't see ESS as inherently better than TI chip. What ESS lacks is exactly the strength of TI, vice versa. With the right implementation however, both can sound incredibly good. Even the Wolfson WM8740 in FireStone CustomCute sounds really good as well, just show you how important the implementation is.

 

No, I don't know the detail on X5 yet.

 

Wow, that is extremely helpful. Thank you ClieOS. Let's wait and see what FiiO plans then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

My interest for the M8 comes primary from considering the Alpha Dogs. The Fostex drivers are rated at 50 or 55 Ohm but it is said that all orthos need a lot of power to drive them properly, so the E12 or the pretty powerful Tralucent T1 are not enough.


Alpha Dogs are indeed very interesting. The truth is, I purchased my first ciems and I am extremely happy with it. I am not sure I would ever return back to full sized headphones again. I have a feeling like I will be a ciem guy. So for the moment I don't need extreme amount of power. Ok ciems also scale as well with amplification but, I won't need that much power.

post #974 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

I have the PCM1972 in the Xonar STU. In a way it is very similar to the PCM1704 in HM801. To me, an ESS chip tends to want you to listen to individual note instead of the whole music passage, preferring transparency over musicality and often in the leaner and drier side of presentation. A Wolfson chip tends to be polite and try not to mess thing up, but also slightly duller and flavourless. An ToTL TI chip will tend to sound fuller and richer, preferring musicality over total transparency. Personally I don't see ESS as inherently better than TI chip. What ESS lacks is exactly the strength of TI, vice versa. With the right implementation however, both can sound incredibly good. Even the Wolfson WM8740 in FireStone CustomCute sounds really good as well, just show you how important the implementation is.

 

No, I don't know the detail on X5 yet.

 

Personally I'd hope it sports dual PCM1704, so I can have dual ess (901), dual wolfson (ak120), and a dual burr-brown DAP  :)   biggrin.gif

post #975 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

Personally I'd hope it sports dual PCM1704, so I can have dual ess (901), dual wolfson (ak120), and a dual burr-brown DAP  :)   biggrin.gif

 

 

Most of the time I enjoy double cheese burgers more than the single cheese burgers.

 

The Hifi ET MA9 has that double 1704 inside and it sounds good.

 

EDIT: I must admit, that the MA9 is a brick. I do look forward to the X5, because the from what I read so far here, the X5 will be much more ergonomic.


Edited by RAFA - 8/17/13 at 11:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread