or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 614

post #9196 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post


Only the ones it indexes so it will randomly pick from your 5800. The rest get ignored unless you go to folder view. Epic fail I know lol

 

Lets put it in proportion shall we ......

 

At the time the X5 was being worked on, and eventually released - 128Gb cards weren't out there.  So max storage was 2 x 64Gb (128 gb).  Allowing that Fiio were building this as a high-res player - their thinking would likely be that most people would be playing some sort of lossless.  So average lossless (redbook) track at 25 Mb allows approx 5200 tracks. Many tracks will be much higher file size than this.  So plenty of headroom (they thought).

 

When they discovered the limitation, they asked the engineers to fix it, and because of the limited on board/on chip memory, they at first couldn't fix it. Now they've come up with a solution - which is using the memory on-card to implement a fix (allow indexing).  This has to be implemented - but we are promised that it is on the way.

 

Is this an epic fail - no - it's an error in judgement, and one Fiio will learn from for the future.  Have they responded - yes - and in emphatic form.  The fix (while not here yet) is on it's way - and if we look at how Fiio has responded so far (and the number of firmware updates to implement the fixes), I really take my hat off to them.

 

What I personally think is an epic fail is how a few individuals have had the gall to repeatedly shout in a couple of threads constantly deriding the player, and shouting their own petty demands as if they were the sponsors, and the only people that mattered.

 

For the record - I'm not a Fiio fanboi either.  Their entry level products are good for people getting into audio - but after climbing the ladder a little - I can personally see the limitations of some of their offerings (E7, E9).  They've had good value in the right price brackets though.

 

If I could send one message to Fiio now - it would be:

 

"Thanks James and Joe - thanks for listening to us, including us, and allowing us to shape your player.  You're on the right track, and many of us don't mind waiting for the fixes, as we know you're still working on them.  Thanks for making good sounding audio players affordable."

post #9197 of 19485
Quote: (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Lets put it in proportion shall we ......

At the time the X5 was being worked on, and eventually released - 128Gb cards weren't out there.  So max storage was 2 x 64Gb (128 gb).  Allowing that Fiio were building this as a high-res player - their thinking would likely be that most people would be playing some sort of lossless.  So average lossless (redbook) track at 25 Mb allows approx 5200 tracks. Many tracks will be much higher file size than this.  So plenty of headroom (they thought).

When they discovered the limitation, they asked the engineers to fix it, and because of the limited on board/on chip memory, they at first couldn't fix it. Now they've come up with a solution - which is using the memory on-card to implement a fix (allow indexing).  This has to be implemented - but we are promised that it is on the way.

Is this an epic fail - no - it's an error in judgement, and one Fiio will learn from for the future.  Have they responded - yes - and in emphatic form.  The fix (while not here yet) is on it's way - and if we look at how Fiio has responded so far (and the number of firmware updates to implement the fixes), I really take my hat off to them.

What I personally think is an epic fail is how a few individuals have had the gall to repeatedly shout in a couple of threads constantly deriding the player, and shouting their own petty demands as if they were the sponsors, and the only people that mattered.

For the record - I'm not a Fiio fanboi either.  Their entry level products are good for people getting into audio - but after climbing the ladder a little - I can personally see the limitations of some of their offerings (E7, E9).  They've had good value in the right price brackets though.

If I could send one message to Fiio now - it would be:

"Thanks James and Joe - thanks for listening to us, including us, and allowing us to shape your player.  You're on the right track, and many of us don't mind waiting for the fixes, as we know you're still working on them.  Thanks for making good sounding audio players affordable."

+1

Well said. Epic win.
post #9198 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post

Quote: (Click to show)

+1

Well said. Epic win.
QFT!
post #9199 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
What I personally think is an epic fail is how a few individuals have had the gall to repeatedly shout in a couple of threads constantly deriding the player, and shouting their own petty demands as if they were the sponsors, and the only people that mattered.

 

 

Here we go again we have been over this before. So we are being petty for expecting a 2014 DAP to have the same features as an MP3 player from 2004?? I don't think so. You can use the 64gb per slot theory all you want. Fiio officially supports 128GB on their site and you wouldn't include two card slots if expandability wasn't a priority. This is the X5 not the single carded X3.

 

If the 5800 limit doesn't apply to you then move on and comment on other issues.

post #9200 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

 

Here we go again we have been over this before. So we are being petty for expecting a 2014 DAP to have the same features as an MP3 player from 2004?? I don't think so. You can use the 64gb per slot theory all you want. Fiio officially supports 128GB on their site and you wouldn't include two card slots if expandability wasn't a priority. This is the X5 not the single carded X3.

 

If the 5800 limit doesn't apply to you then move on and comment on other issues.

 

Yep - here we go again.  It's all about you.

 

You've made your point.  Now how about we let Fiio fix it.  Or do you want to keep going on, and on, and on, and on, and on ..........

post #9201 of 19485

Well, although this is a minor niggle I have almost no complaints regarding the X5. The sound is superb & I am very impressed with the player overall. It's astonishing that I can have 8835 songs in CD quality & better, (some at 48Khz, 24bit), all in a little well made box in my pocket. I use Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Headphones & the sounds that I never heard before are stunning!! Full marks to Fiio. I'm sure that they will iron out this & similar problems in future f/w updates. I am one happy bunny!

post #9202 of 19485
Everyone 😞 just appreciate what it does( provides us with amazing sounds) and not what's wrong with it 😂...i don't have no problem with it, so I will be supporting fiio for the awesome x7 when it is released 😍😇
post #9203 of 19485

It's Here... It's Here... x777

 

Updating... And going out to get a memory card..

post #9204 of 19485
I guess people will never be happy. How many vendors listen to their customers? Not that many and how many have instituted a bug tracking system, even less.Those guys are stellar when it comes to customer support and with the fixes provided so far they walk the walk, talk the talk. They got my respect and please Fiio keep the good work!
post #9205 of 19485
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Originally Posted by Ramtha604 View Post

 

I picked my X5 up from my local distributor today and I want to say, I'm very satisfied. It looks great, feels great, and I have zero qualms about interface so far. The sound is good. It's not DX100-perfect (like the way, the DX100 never left me wish for anything more/different at all), but I'd say it's right between the X3 and the DX100 in overall sound quality, so considering its price (and also size and weight), that's a great achievement, I guess. It could be the case that it's voiced a bit contrary to my personal preferences. I experience the X5 to still have a slightly hard/forward/wanna-impress/in-your-face sound, rather than the laid back and effortlessly neutral signature, I always admired in the DX100, but it does seem to me like it has a very high resolution and could sound extremely close to the DX100 if it would have been intended to imitate the DX100's signature.

 

I have not heard a lot of DAPs, but there was an extreme "forced detailedness", which I experienced with a HM-801, which I listened to briefly, which made the HM-801 practically unlistenable to me. I then was able to borrow an X3 from a local head-fier for a few days and it also had quite a bit of that in-your-face forwardness, which the HM-801 seemed to possess way too much of, but was already much better. Contrary to the HM-801, I would have actually picked the X3 over the extremely boring, but at least balanced sounding sansa clip. And now the X5 is almost there. Not quite "DX100-perfectly-pleasant" to listen to, but already _very_ acceptable for its price, in my opinion.

 

So, thank you for making this great player, FiiO! =)

 

Just to mention it: My main reason for getting the X5, was that it offers 2 microsd slots for a potentially 256GB (and maybe 512GB should 256GB microsdxc happen to come around in a few years) no-hassles-one-box-solution.

 

Oh, and a short question, because I came across this in the DX90 thread: http://www.mix-computer.de/html/product/detail.html?artNo=IMILU6&

Should this work when plugged into the X5's usb port to expand the X5's storage? (Is this what OTG is about?)

 

 

I just updated to FW 2.00 and while I got used to the X5's signature quite quickly and found it closer to the DX100 than to the X3 after a short while, updating to FW 2.00 has improved the sound quality by another major step IMO. I didn't listen to it right before upgrading to FW 2.00, but I put on a track I had listened to probably 20 or more times during the last few weeks and right away, very clearly, heard a theme in the background during a quiter passage which I didn't even know was there before. My X5 now sounds more pleasant overall, and also is now probably even more neutral and transparent than before. That it skipped the first few seconds of the very first track I started after turning it on was a bit irritating, but since it's supposed to not happen after the very first track anymore until turning it off and on again (and apparently actually really doesn't) I'm perfectly comfortable with waiting for this to get fixed while enjoying FW 2.00. =)

post #9206 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post
 

I guess a difference between your library and mine would be I created all my files by ripping from CD's I own. I tagged them and embedded the artwork and as such I know the quality of the files. And guess what? I am not having any problem with either my X3 or my X5. None. So where do you get your collected 320K  mp3 files? Who made them?

Rip your own CD's and load them up and see how many errors you get. Oh you don't buy CD's do you?

I would love to be able to do that with EDM music. Would make my life a lot easier. A lot of the obscure EDM (dnb, neurofunk, neurohop, glitch hop, dub, dubstep) I listen to does not come in CD form, only digital download or vinyl. Pretty much if I walk into a store I expect to find between zero and zero drum and bass CD's. HDtracks has ONE dubstep album and it's silly Skrillex =/. Of course, they also have no drum and bass.

 

As of the last 4 months my sources have been:

-legitimate downloads from the artist soundcloud when they release free songs

-contacting artist directly on Soundcloud and offering $20/$25 for the album in lossless (when album is ONLY sold as 320kbps mp3 across all sources)

-Beatport 320kbps mp3 purchases (before I found out I can do the dropdown and select .wav for $0.75 cents more per song)

-Beatport .wav 16/44

 

Beatport is the #1 source for EDM recognized across the industry, especially for my two favorite genres. The songs purchased from there come with 0 (zero) id3 tags. 

But the most crappy part is that being an EDM listener, I'm mostly limited to 16/44 .wav's as the absolute highest quality I can find. So I envy you guys that are playing 192/24 on your favorite genres etc =(

 

As I suspected the problem was most likely related to id3 tags. I fixed up my top 7 songs which I was playing from a folder on X5 and crashing consistently. Woke up 7 hours later to the player still going. I can't say definitively until it has been playing for 16 hours straight. I found this several times in my tags "(example).(example)" so I changed it to (example). Also removed the disc number, composer, added artist and album art when needed. Also any song purchased from Beatport has the following track name format 465755_Track_Name which I changed to Artist - Track Name.


Edited by Scorpion667 - 5/13/14 at 6:37am
post #9207 of 19485

Boys, please keep in mind that at this point many yet-to-fixed bugs you'll encountered might not be as easy to track as some of you might believe. Some bugs are easy to find because they are highly repeatable, say you click on a certain buttons combo and the player restarted. But some are much more random, and it is very difficult for engineer to fix the problem if he can't reproduce the exact problem or known the root of the issue. Some can even be just a badly encoded music files that trigger a certain response on the player that causes the crash and those will be even worst to find and fix, as other might not have any issue because of the different encoded files. Not even Windows or Apple could even be bug free, and that doesn't mean we should think we have been exploited as beta tester when we submit our bug report after PC crash.

post #9208 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

Here we go again we have been over this before. So we are being petty for expecting a 2014 DAP to have the same features as an MP3 player from 2004?? I don't think so. You can use the 64gb per slot theory all you want. Fiio officially supports 128GB on their site and you wouldn't include two card slots if expandability wasn't a priority. This is the X5 not the single carded X3.

 

If the 5800 limit doesn't apply to you then move on and comment on other issues.

 

They're working on it. This is their second-ever music player, and the firmware is brand new. There's no such thing as brand new, bug-free software. No device just shows up on the market completely intuitive, error-free and feature complete; if you don't believe me, go track down an original iPod with original firmware, or any major revision of iOS or Android in its x.0 version. And those are programmed by companies with far more money and resources than FiiO.

 

It amounts to this: Keep the device and have faith that FiiO is hard at work and will fix the issues that matter to you in due time, after which all your complaints will seem like a distant, bad memory. Or return or sell it if you can't wait. But going on and on and on about issues everyone already knows about, which they've already said they're working on, benefits nobody.

post #9209 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age8E View Post
 

 

They're working on it. This is their second-ever music player, and the firmware is brand new. There's no such thing as brand new, bug-free software. No device just shows up on the market completely intuitive, error-free and feature complete; if you don't believe me, go track down an original iPod with original firmware, or any major revision of iOS or Android in its x.0 version. And those are programmed by companies with far more money and resources than FiiO.

 

It amounts to this: Keep the device and have faith that FiiO is hard at work and will fix the issues that matter to you in due time, after which all your complaints will seem like a distant, bad memory. Or return or sell it if you can't wait. But going on and on and on about issues everyone already knows about, which they've already said they're working on, benefits nobody.


No one is going on and on. New users join the discussion and it comes up again. Next time I'll just tell them to search the thread. This is a sore topic for many apparently.

 

And yes as early adopters no one expects a bug free experience. Those that do generally wait a while before purchase are rewarded with a better experience from the get go, say if you bought an X3 now vs when they came out... I had enough faith in Fiio before to make a blind purchase and I still do and I would buy it again too.


Edited by krayziehustler - 5/13/14 at 7:04am
post #9210 of 19485
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

 

Here we go again we have been over this before. So we are being petty for expecting a 2014 DAP to have the same features as an MP3 player from 2004?? I don't think so. You can use the 64gb per slot theory all you want. Fiio officially supports 128GB on their site and you wouldn't include two card slots if expandability wasn't a priority. This is the X5 not the single carded X3.

 

If the 5800 limit doesn't apply to you then move on and comment on other issues.

 

I don't care about what an MP3 player used to do; I don't want random playback of 8,500 files or a lot of other BS.  For those of us who don't care about these things, I would like to see a separate album only firmware that just eliminates the media library scanning and uses the freed up memory for useful tasks like buffering gapless playback and preventing skipping during decompression and playback of 24 bit flac files. I like my X5 - it's all about the sound. keep going James and Fiio!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread