or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 550

post #8236 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess70 View Post

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you.  I used to roll my eyes at the idea of SS burn-in.   However I noticed a substantial change when comparing my iPhone (old source) compared to my new X5 over the course of 2 weeks.  Originally the X5 had less bass than my eq'ed iPhone, now it has more.  That is not getting used to the sound.  It is a relative A/B difference that changes over time.

I understand your skepticism.  I was the same.

I can second that, using my HD650 and E12 with my iPod and my new E5 the iPod has mush more bass. Also the treble on the X5 seems harsh.
post #8237 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Has anyone used it this way for more than music?  My AK100 has a usb dac but it's not usable for music since it gets more and more out of sync as time goes by.  Is the X5 usable as a complete usb dac ie video, media, games etc or like the AK100 really only for music with no give aways that it falls out of sync?

It's very capable. I'm a total nut when it comes to watching series, and i usually watch them in one go (15 hours a day, for a few days) and noticed no lag.

There were however, moments when it "skipped" a bit of the audio, but i think that has to do with the cable i'm using(bend port, lot of electrical interference)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

Just tried to make an alternate colour theme and alter the top bar text colour. I thought I found the code in the "config.ini" file within the "theme1" folder:


This version has been altered in both hexidecimal and RGB codes to be green, but the result is no change... not sure what I'm missing as every other code in the config file is either grey or white!?

the colour "B8B8B8" is grey : http://www.color-hex.com/color/b8b8b8

I'm not sure how familiar you are with hexadecimal code, and colour code, so let me explain a bit:

The colour code are made up of 3 sets of numbers, ranging from 00 to FF. 00 is 0, while FF is 255.

each set represents a prime colour: ##|##|## red|green|blue.

If you want a pure red colour, you have FF0000 (255 R, 0 G, 0 B)

If the values for all three colours are the same, you can go from white (000000) to black (FFFFFF) and every grey tint in between.

Hexadecimal means "six-ten" or sixteen, as it's a number system ranging from 0 to 15( numbers 10 to 15 represented by A to F) as such, you have 16 symbols representing a number (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)



To transfer the hexadecimal numbers to decimal numbers, you must first set them in binary. I would love to explain this fully to you, but it's quite difficult to do so.

binary is read from right to left.

Each "1" or "0" represents a (decimal) value, the most right one is 1, then 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128. (So in correct order: 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1)

If one bit(a single binary number) is in the "on" position (1) you should count the decimal number. If it's in the "off" position (0) you shouldn't.

11111111 equals to the decimal value of 255 ( 128+64+32+16+8+4+2+1=255)

Example: the decimal number 22 is 00010110 in binary: (the bold numbers represent the "on" bits) 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1 (16+4+2=22)

The easy way of calculating numbers to binary is looking at the largest amount in a number that is represented in binary:

251(dec) to binary: 128 is the largest, so you subtract this from the decimal number. (10000000 in bin)
This leaves you with 123. You can subtract 64 from this (01000000 in bin)
This leaves you with 59. You can subtract 32 from this (00100000 in bin)
This leaves you with 27. You can subtract 16 from this (00010000 in bin)
This leaves you with 11. You can subtract 8 from this (00001000 in bin)
This leaves you with 3. You can subtract 2 from this (00000010 in bin)
This leaves you with 1. You can subtract 1 from this (00000001 in bin)

Adding these bits together you get 11111011.

how do you calculate hexadecimal in binary:

F(hex) = 15(dec) = 1111
FF(hex) = 15,15(dec) =1111,1111 (you add the first before the 2nd hexadecimal number)
11111111 equals 255 in decimal. so FF(hex) = 255(dec)

3B(hex) = 3,11(dec) = 0011,1011(bin)
00111011 equals 59 in decimal.

I hope this helps, or at least interests you. (You can always use a binary converter on the web, it's probably easier ;P )
Edited by CH23 - 4/30/14 at 11:46pm
post #8238 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Are you changing the colors in a config file or altering the images?

 

Changing images only. I've setup batch processes in Photoshop so it alters the hue of the original images and does all images in a single action.

 

If James or Joe could tell us how to alter the font colour, that'd be perfect!

post #8239 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

According to Google Translate, the Chinese characters are just labels for the codes (i.e. the same as the English labels or extra detail for programmers), not colour information. The thing is, changing the codes (hex & RGB) does nothing to alter the font colour so I'm guessing that this info is actually stored elsewhere in the coding and may need a change in a different "ini" file to get the X5 to actually look at the code in the config.ini file. Does that make sense?

I just tested some of the tags in that config.ini file. The lyrics tags don't work. Changing them produced no results - lyrics are still displayed with their default colors - white and orange. I have no idea what most of the rest are, but they don't seem to change anything with one exception - the <list_item_color>0xb8b8b8</list_item_color> tag. When you go into "Play by category" >album/artist/genre>choose artist, album or a genre... the chosen category will appear in the color specified followed by all the songs in that category in grayish color.

 

I have rummaged through all ini files and I don't see any one that might be responsible for changing the other color. That leads me to believe those colors are probably specified somewhere in the bin files.

post #8240 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe3ucTop View Post
 

I just tested some of the tags in that config.ini file. The lyrics tags don't work. Changing them produced no results - lyrics are still displayed with their default colors - white and orange. I have no idea what most of the rest are, but they don't seem to change anything with one exception - the <list_item_color>0xb8b8b8</list_item_color> tag. When you go into "Play by category" >album/artist/genre>choose artist, album or a genre... the chosen category will appear in the color specified followed by all the songs in that category in grayish color.

 

I have rummaged through all ini files and I don't see any one that might be responsible for changing the other color. That leads me to believe those colors are probably specified somewhere in the bin files.

 

Yeah. That's what I thought too. 

 

I know it's hardly urgent, but I created a bug report to request the ability to modify font colours in future firmware: https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=114

post #8241 of 19490
Warning: Binary tutorial (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


the colour "B8B8B8" is grey : http://www.color-hex.com/color/b8b8b8

I'm not sure how familiar you are with hexadecimal code, and colour code, so let me explain a bit:

The colour code are made up of 3 sets of numbers, ranging from 00 to FF. 00 is 0, while FF is 255.

each set represents a prime colour: ##|##|## red|green|blue.

If you want a pure red colour, you have FF0000 (255 R, 0 G, 0 B)

If the values for all three colours are the same, you can go from white (000000) to black (FFFFFF) and every grey tint in between.

Hexadecimal means "six-ten" or sixteen, as it's a number system ranging from 0 to 15( numbers 10 to 15 represented by A to F) as such, you have 16 symbols representing a number (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)



To transfer the hexadecimal numbers to decimal numbers, you must first set them in binary. I would love to explain this fully to you, but it's quite difficult to do so.

binary is read from right to left.

Each "1" or "0" represents a (decimal) value, the most right one is 1, then 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128. (So in correct order: 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1)

If one bit(a single binary number) is in the "on" position (1) you should count the decimal number. If it's in the "off" position (0) you shouldn't.

11111111 equals to the decimal value of 255 ( 128+64+32+16+8+4+2+1=255)

Example: the decimal number 22 is 00010110 in binary: (the bold numbers represent the "on" bits) 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1 (16+4+2=22)

The easy way of calculating numbers to binary is looking at the largest amount in a number that is represented in binary:

251(dec) to binary: 128 is the largest, so you subtract this from the decimal number. (10000000 in bin)
This leaves you with 123. You can subtract 64 from this (01000000 in bin)
This leaves you with 59. You can subtract 32 from this (00100000 in bin)
This leaves you with 27. You can subtract 16 from this (00010000 in bin)
This leaves you with 11. You can subtract 8 from this (00001000 in bin)
This leaves you with 3. You can subtract 2 from this (00000010 in bin)
This leaves you with 1. You can subtract 1 from this (00000001 in bin)

Adding these bits together you get 11111011.

how do you calculate hexadecimal in binary:

F(hex) = 15(dec) = 1111
FF(hex) = 15,15(dec) =1111,1111 (you add the first before the 2nd hexadecimal number)
11111111 equals 255 in decimal. so FF(hex) = 255(dec)

3B(hex) = 3,11(dec) = 0011,1011(bin)
00111011 equals 59 in decimal.

I hope this helps, or at least interests you. (You can always use a binary converter on the web, it's probably easier ;P )

@CH23 Thanks for the detailed breakdown.blink.gif
Edited by x RELIC x - 5/1/14 at 12:48am
post #8242 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post

Warning: Binary tutorial (Click to show)

@CH23 Thanks for the detailed breakdown.blink.gif

I just hope i didn't cause any breakdowns with it :P
post #8243 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

I had a chance last night to listen to 2 X5s side by side with same track and same volume. One was running FW1.20 and the other running FW2.0. If there is any audible difference it is slightly improved mid-range presence and clarity, possibly due to a slight treble reduction, but it's honestly so close that it could be pure expectation or placebo. In short, don't expect FW2.0 to transform the sound of your X5.


Unfortunately, both units had received significant use so I couldn't compare for burn-in. That said, capacitors definitely benefit from usage and the X5 must contain capacitors so there's no reason that it wouldn't benefit from some burn-in time.
I feel the same way,
also dx90 still sounds more refined, seriously thinking about returning the x5 and selling the zx1 too..but..hmm..what to do what to do..
post #8244 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundblast75 View Post


I feel the same way,
also dx90 still sounds more refined, seriously thinking about returning the x5 and selling the zx1 too..but..hmm..what to do what to do..

 

So DX90 is significantly better than X5 for SQ? I'm assuming that's via HPO (which is a little below average for premium hi-res players on the X5). What about via line-out?

post #8245 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post


Hmm...

Having seen the HS6, I had to order one too (insane, spending £17 on this, so hope at the very least the main part is metal else I'll feel robbed!) - I hold you fully responsible for this ;o)

Re Micro SD, read speed should be good enough however slow you go, I have 2 x 64gb cards, one original Sandisk, and one High Speed Samsung, I'm positive that there will be zero read speed differences as even with full 24/192 you're not pushing the read speed of the standard card (for use in this player - in other applications, the Samsung is the quicker), however - I will say if the cost isn't too different between the two (High Speed Samsung cards - at least on Amazon UK are only marginally more expensive than standard Sandisk) that if you like to swap your music collection in / out, that for time saving, the Samsung may be the better choice for the write speed increase...

The Samsung card I'm talking about is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D1RD948/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - What makes this all confusing is that BOTH are 'Class 10' - I think that the industry needs to re-write their own terminology to make it easier to understand...

When I saw your name I had to do a double-take and check, are you the same Duncan I knew since the first days I joined Head-Fi? Checking your join date reveals that yes! You are one of the few members here that can trump my join date L3000.gif

I can't say I remember a lot from those early days but it's nice to meet someone who was there since the beginning and still active!

Did you use to have the custom title "Musical Fidelity X-Man V2"? Or was that someone else?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/9584/my-audio-quest-is-at-an-end

Or so we all thought... at one time or another... wink.gif
post #8246 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

So DX90 is significantly better than X5 for SQ? I'm assuming that's via HPO (which is a little below average for premium hi-res players on the X5). What about via line-out?

Not significantly, but theres harshness on a lot of tracks with x5 at the moment and even if it improves i think the signature will stay.
It is a very clean,detailed player that sounds great on some tracks, but dx90 has the edge at the mo imo.
Thats tru the hpo,yes.the line out is superbly clean and def better with a good amp.
But for me personally, using Dita Truth with DX90 is absolute tops and needs no additional amp.powerful yet smooth
post #8247 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post
 

Comparing to the x5, the only thing I miss on the x3 is the bass kick.  On the x3, there's a noticable and satisfying thump on tracks that I use to analyze.  On the x5 its more like dud, still has the bass body, but just no thump.  Would that be due to lack of subbass, or midbass?

 

I've been testing my X5 since i received it last Friday (25th of April) with a bunch of different songs 6 styles- I keep switching combinations of my Bose QC15 and UE Triple.Fi 10s - my Cowon S9 and the X5 for comparison.  The X5 definitely is failing in bass body as described above - the bass is there, very clean & tight - but not full.  I noticed this effect the strongest using my IEMs - comparing the same song at equivalent volumes, using the same IEMs - going between the S9 and X5.  My IEMs show incredible bass with the Cowon S9 - but something is missing with the X5 - even using the equalizer.

 

I then tried the E17+X5 with the same IEMs - seeing as the E17 has separate treble & bass settings - and i had it on Bass +2 and Treble+4 - Very nice indeed!!

 

This is what lead to me believe the E12 with the stacking kit would be the best - because the E12 has bass boost.  the reason i can't consider the E17as a long term solution is because of the volume controls are buttons and not a dial (like the E12) - which is cumbersome.  Also, i use the E17 primarily together with the E09K as a desktop solution.

 

I just think it is a shame I have to add the E12 to the X5 to get more bass - 

 

Cheers,

R.Fox

post #8248 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


When I saw your name I had to do a double-take and check, are you the same Duncan I knew since the first days I joined Head-Fi? Checking your join date reveals that yes! You are one of the few members here that can trump my join date L3000.gif

I can't say I remember a lot from those early days but it's nice to meet someone who was there since the beginning and still active!

Did you use to have the custom title "Musical Fidelity X-Man V2"? Or was that someone else?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/9584/my-audio-quest-is-at-an-end

Or so we all thought... at one time or another... wink.gif

Hi Joe,

 

Yes, guilty as charged on all counts :)

 

Long time no converse! - I hope all is good with you?!

 

Received my X5, looking good, but - got the "waiting SD card" issue when trying to update from FW 1.2 to 2.0 - 8GB Micro SD, FAT32...  Not really sure what to do :(

post #8249 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Hi Joe,

Yes, guilty as charged on all counts smily_headphones1.gif

Long time no converse! - I hope all is good with you?!

Received my X5, looking good, but - got the "waiting SD card" issue when trying to update from FW 1.2 to 2.0 - 8GB Micro SD, FAT32...  Not really sure what to do frown.gif

Did you put the firmware on SD card 1?

You could try resetting the X5 (hold the power button for 10 seconds)
post #8250 of 19490

Maybe a faulty SD card, found an old 2gb one, and the update is going through fine :D

 

Thanks for the speedy reply CH23 :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread