or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 548

post #8206 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Our auditory memory is lucky to be accurate over a matter of minutes.  Over hours or days - it's a pure guess.  I'd be interested if you could compare a broken in X5 with a brand new one (volume matched, same tracks and settings).  Personally I think you'd find very little difference.

 

I agree with Cannikin - my personal experience suggests that it's our wonderful brains adjusting.


That is quite possible.  Hard to say for sure without directly comparing new X5 (A) and old X5 (B).  However, when I say that I hear a difference I am IMMEDIATELY comparing the difference in sound of my iPhone 4s and X5  A/B when I first got it versus now and I notice a change.  (smoother highs and MORE bass).  However, I didn't accurately match volumes, even if the files are the same.

 

As someone trained in perceptual sciences I realize that this was not properly tested, and it is possible that it is all in my head.

 

I guess my point is that even if it is in my head, it was enough  of a change to turn me from a mocker of  SS burn-in to a believer in SS burn-in.

 

Either way I love the sound of my X5 enough to make it worth overlooking the UI shortcomings compared to my iPhone 4s.  And that is all that really matters.

post #8207 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Our auditory memory is lucky to be accurate over a matter of minutes.  Over hours or days - it's a pure guess.  I'd be interested if you could compare a broken in X5 with a brand new one (volume matched, same tracks and settings).  Personally I think you'd find very little difference.

 

I agree with Cannikin - my personal experience suggests that it's our wonderful brains adjusting.


I've had mine for close to a month and I cannot say that the quality of the bass, midrange, treble -- anything has "mellowed" or in any way changed since the day I opened the box. Now, if someone handed me two X5s -- one was brand spanking new and the other had been through a hundred hours of usage, then if I heard a difference between the two, playing the exact same files, then I might be less skeptical.

 

Perhaps someone who is about to get their new X5 would like to arrange a meet-up with someone they know who has had one for a few weeks, to do this comparison? I'd be very curious to know what the result was.

post #8208 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
 


 

Perhaps someone who is about to get their new X5 would like to arrange a meet-up with someone they know who has had one for a few weeks, to do this comparison? I'd be very curious to know what the result was.

  +1

 

:)

post #8209 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess70 View Post
 

That is quite possible.  Hard to say for sure without directly comparing new X5 (A) and old X5 (B).  However, when I say that I hear a difference I am IMMEDIATELY comparing the difference in sound of my iPhone 4s and X5  A/B when I first got it versus now and I notice a change.  (smoother highs and MORE bass).  However, I didn't accurately match volumes, even if the files are the same.

 

As someone trained in perceptual sciences I realize that this was not properly tested, and it is possible that it is all in my head.

 

I guess my point is that even if it is in my head, it was enough  of a change to turn me from a mocker of  SS burn-in to a believer in SS burn-in.

 

Either way I love the sound of my X5 enough to make it worth overlooking the UI shortcomings compared to my iPhone 4s.  And that is all that really matters.

 

Hi Jess.  I understand what you are saying - but I'd suggest modifying your stance to something more accurate.  Maybe from a doubter of SS burn-in, to "insufficient evidence to make a conclusion" - IE "undecided" ;)

 

I'd love it if someone could make a definitive test - as it would make an interesting study.

 

I'm similar to you in that I don't have the evidence to point to anything conclusively - but I also know the powerful nature of our brain to acclimatise - so I guess I fall more in the "don't know - but have my doubts" camp.

 

If you get the time, it's a great exercise to also compare (same track, same headphones) your 4S volume matched with the X5 blind (IE get someone to help you switch).  Both will play ALAC lossless - so that makes it easier.  You might find the differences are more in sound signature than  sound quality.  It's worth doing IMO.

 

The things that I love about the X5 though (compared to iDevices) are:

 - driving power (powers both my HD600 and DT880)

 - expandable memory (SD cards) / capacity

 - use as a stand alone DAC

 - customisable EQ

 

Those alone are worth any differences in UI IMO.

 

For the value - it's a fantastic player.  That's something we can both agree on :beerchug: 

post #8210 of 19484

I'm such a sucker for a new toy...

 

Have an X5 being delivered to me tomorrow...

 

Will be interesting to see what I prefer out of HTC M8 & CEntrance HiFi M8 vs Fiio X5 & E12...

post #8211 of 19484
Just had a bug / freeze using the X5 on firmware 2.0 today.

I was on shuffle mode and everything froze when I skipped a track.
post #8212 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

 - use as a stand alone DAC

 

 

Has anyone used it this way for more than music?  My AK100 has a usb dac but it's not usable for music since it gets more and more out of sync as time goes by.  Is the X5 usable as a complete usb dac ie video, media, games etc or like the AK100 really only for music with no give aways that it falls out of sync?

post #8213 of 19484

Yahoo!  I volunteered to be a contact with Fiio for the Audio Video Club of Atlanta Portable Audio Jam on Sunday, May 4.

 

http://a-vcoa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=290418&item_id=313516&sl=268303750

 

As a result, I have had a few days to audition the NEW X5, the X3, and the E18.  Wow, call me impressed!

 

If you plan to be in the Atlanta area this coming Sunday, please feel free to stop on by and hear this new Fiio gear along with a lot of other portable audio equipment.  See our inventory at the following link:  

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/714128/atlanta-ga-a-vcoa-presents-may-4th-portable-audio-jam

 

You are absolutely welcome to attend and need not be a member of AVCOA.  If not a fan of Fiio now; you WILL be.

post #8214 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

Has anyone used it this way for more than music?  My AK100 has a usb dac but it's not usable for music since it gets more and more out of sync as time goes by.  Is the X5 usable as a complete usb dac ie video, media, games etc or like the AK100 really only for music with no give aways that it falls out of sync?

 

I'd recommend waiting for someone with more experience to answer (and I'll try to update as I test further,) but I've used it with music and video games, and I haven't experienced any issues with the audio falling out of sync with either.  I haven't yet tried videos with it, but I'll headphone up and watch a movie using DAC mode tonight to see how it goes. 

So I can't say for sure that it's good news, but after about an hour in a video game, I had no audio syncing issues at all.

post #8215 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
 

I'm such a sucker for a new toy...

 

Have an X5 being delivered to me tomorrow...

 

Will be interesting to see what I prefer out of HTC M8 & CEntrance HiFi M8 vs Fiio X5 & E12...

 

I'm a bigger sucker mate!! Was waiting for the iBasso DX90 but after seeing all the accessories for the X5 available at Addicted to Audio AU I pulled the trigger on the X5, E12, HS6 and Case. All I need to do now is find a divorce lawyer and what class MicroSD card I should use.

 

I think the most important question here is what class of MicroSD card should I get!!

 

Man this had better sound better than my Rockboxed 5th gen iPod Classic and iBasso D6 otherwise the old saying a fool and his money are soon departed comes to mind.

post #8216 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Hi Jess.  I understand what you are saying - but I'd suggest modifying your stance to something more accurate.  Maybe from a doubter of SS burn-in, to "insufficient evidence to make a conclusion" - IE "undecided" ;)

 

I'd love it if someone could make a definitive test - as it would make an interesting study.

 

I'm similar to you in that I don't have the evidence to point to anything conclusively - but I also know the powerful nature of our brain to acclimatise - so I guess I fall more in the "don't know - but have my doubts" camp.

 

If you get the time, it's a great exercise to also compare (same track, same headphones) your 4S volume matched with the X5 blind (IE get someone to help you switch).  Both will play ALAC lossless - so that makes it easier.  You might find the differences are more in sound signature than  sound quality.  It's worth doing IMO.

 

The things that I love about the X5 though (compared to iDevices) are:

 - driving power (powers both my HD600 and DT880)

 - expandable memory (SD cards) / capacity

 - use as a stand alone DAC

 - customisable EQ

 

Those alone are worth any differences in UI IMO.

 

For the value - it's a fantastic player.  That's something we can both agree on :beerchug: 


I'd be interested to see results from such tests as well. I read results from various ABX tests of amp equipment, speakers, cables, etc.(in a thread here) all suggesting that the differences if there are any are so subtle that people can't really differentiate between 5 bucks cables and 2000 bucks cables, or between $100 amps and $2000 amps.

 

Another thing I think would be very interesting to try is DAPs ABX testing. It'd be nice to see if people can actually make the difference between music being played out of an iphone, X5, DX90, AK240, etc. or if it is mostly due to perception and expectations. I don't have much experience with different equipment and I can't possibly have much to say about it, but I wonder...


Edited by pe3ucTop - 4/30/14 at 3:47pm
post #8217 of 19484

Comparing to the x5, the only thing I miss on the x3 is the bass kick.  On the x3, there's a noticable and satisfying thump on tracks that I use to analyze.  On the x5 its more like dud, still has the bass body, but just no thump.  Would that be due to lack of subbass, or midbass?

post #8218 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Hi Jess.  I understand what you are saying - but I'd suggest modifying your stance to something more accurate.  Maybe from a doubter of SS burn-in, to "insufficient evidence to make a conclusion" - IE "undecided" wink.gif

I'd love it if someone could make a definitive test - as it would make an interesting study.

I'm similar to you in that I don't have the evidence to point to anything conclusively - but I also know the powerful nature of our brain to acclimatise - so I guess I fall more in the "don't know - but have my doubts" camp.

If you get the time, it's a great exercise to also compare (same track, same headphones) your 4S volume matched with the X5 blind (IE get someone to help you switch).  Both will play ALAC lossless - so that makes it easier.  You might find the differences are more in sound signature than  sound quality.  It's worth doing IMO.

The things that I love about the X5 though (compared to iDevices) are:
 - driving power (powers both my HD600 and DT880)
 - expandable memory (SD cards) / capacity
 - use as a stand alone DAC
 - customisable EQ

Those alone are worth any differences in UI IMO.

For the value - it's a fantastic player.  That's something we can both agree on beerchug.gif  


To all in this conversation - if ss burn-in is a myth why does the iBasso DX90 come supplied with a 'burn-in cable' as an accessory? Either they believe their product to benefit from burn-in or that their prospective punters are suckers for a bit of audio snake oil.
post #8219 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUKMrT View Post

To all in this conversation - if ss burn-in is a myth why does the iBasso DX90 come supplied with a 'burn-in cable' as an accessory? Either they believe their product to benefit from burn-in or that their prospective punters are suckers for a bit of audio snake oil.

 

Using the same reasoning - if it's fact, then why doesn't every manufacturer do this?

post #8220 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post
 

Comparing to the x5, the only thing I miss on the x3 is the bass kick.  On the x3, there's a noticable and satisfying thump on tracks that I use to analyze.  On the x5 its more like dud, still has the bass body, but just no thump.  Would that be due to lack of subbass, or midbass?

 

You may want to try setting your EQ the way jazzman7 described on page 474 (post #7907.)  I did this on mine, as I found the bass lacking in my X5, and it made a big difference.  Now that it's been a couple weeks, though, I'm finding the bass more and more present (and the highs not as harsh) and I'm setting my EQ back to normal.  I can't argue one way or the other about SS burn-in, but I can at least say that this EQ setting really helped fill in the bass while I felt that was needed.  :)

 

(oh, and so you don't have to go hunting...)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

You got it about the E12/X5 combo -- so long as the size, weight, and charging regimen isn't a problem for you, go for it.

 

Now, like wayne's world says, it is kind of a pain to have two pieces, so you could try to fit the curve using the built-in X5 EQ.   

I think each "tick" on the X5 EQ screen is 2dB.   That is based on this post:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/5790#post_10418599

 

There are seven of them vertically for each band, so that gives +6dB to -6dB as a range from top to bottom.  So you could try the following.  

 

31 (Hz):  second tick from the top (+4dB)

62 (Hz):  halfway between the first and second tick (+5dB)

125 (Hz):  just after the second tick (+3.5dB)

250 (Hz):  halfway between the third and fourth tick (+1dB)

500 (Hz):  just before the fourth tick (+0.5dB)

1K (Hz) and above:  All on the fourth tick (flat).   (0dB)

 

Try it out and see if it sounds similar to the E12 with bass boost.  I have no way to check myself though (because I don't have the X5 -- this is just from reading the graph).  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread