That's not the kind of waiting I was planning to do, and similarly, I don't understand how some are thinking of geting the X3 first then sell just a few months later to get the X5 when depreciation is likely to kick in unless Fiio can't produce enough units to match demand. For starters, I doubt I'd be willing to spend any more than $300-ish for a portable given I do more listening at home, and if I wasn't the type to lug around a bag, I'd totally just use my phone, but there are times I really appreciate having a quality battery-powered system (long rides/flights, power outages, etc). Second, just looking at what might be in the X5 is worth the wait for me to at least see how it goes, given there 's something there that for now hints at a scroll/click wheel like on the iPod.
In any case I don't completely discount the possibility that even with the X5 available I might rein in my spending and just get the X3, then use the money on something else. It's just that, given the spec sheet, I'd like to get to try both first rather than buy one and sell it which effectively costs me money sin e I can't sell even a slightly used item at the same price (and I have meets and a locally-baed but internet published audio writing gig to get me good enough access for evaluation).