or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 480

post #7186 of 19490
Any idea when the new official firmware will be released (1.3 ?).
post #7187 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekku View Post

 

James assures us that the wheel is fine and I haven't had any problems with mine so I'm going to believe him! Also, have you tried FW 1.23beta yet? It improves the UI responsiveness and eliminates the "laggy" wheel issue.


Haven't upgraded to the beta firmware yet. I guess I'll do that sometime tonight. Very busy going back and forth with the DX90, which is also an excellent DAP. Thanks for the tip

 

Yeah I wish the wheel was more locked into place and felt more solid. It just feels like a toy that rattles, slips and slides. I heard complaints before but it's seriously kind of dissapointing. I see what people were talking about.

 

I just wanted to confirm with other X5 owners that that's how it's supposed to be, loose/rattled. As long as it's "normal" I'm cool with it.

post #7188 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Haven't upgraded to the beta firmware yet. I guess I'll do that sometime tonight. Very busy going back and forth with the DX90, which is also an excellent DAP. Thanks for the tip

 

Yeah I wish the wheel was more locked into place and felt more solid. It just feels like a toy that rattles, slips and slides. I heard complaints before but it's seriously kind of dissapointing. I see what people were talking about.

 

I just wanted to confirm with other X5 owners that that's how it's supposed to be, loose/rattled. As long as it's "normal" I'm cool with it.

 

Yep, it's supposed to be that loose/rattled

post #7189 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
 

 

Yep, it's supposed to be that loose/rattled


Cool guys. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm good with it, as James said the wheel hasn't fallen off over 5,000 X5s. I can live with the wheel. The sound of the X5 makes it worth me getting used to the wheel. It's very nice upgrade from the X3.

post #7190 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Cool guys. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm good with it, as James said the wheel hasn't fallen off over 5,000 X5s. I can live with the wheel. The sound of the X5 makes it worth me getting used to the wheel. It's very nice upgrade from the X3.

 

No prob mate, have fun with it!

PS: Actually, the wheel did fall off for one of the X5s, but that was... kind of an experiment ;)

post #7191 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
 

 

No prob mate, have fun with it!

PS: Actually, the wheel did fall off for one of the X5s, but that was... kind of an experiment ;)


Well that dude pretty much was looking for a way to make the wheel fall off. I don't think that's a normal usuage scenerio. Haha.

post #7192 of 19490

Quote:

Originally Posted by octotower View Post

X5 leather case made in Korea. That is totally awesome!! :atsmile:

Color : Orange, Black and Brown

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=535136153&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200001169&NaPm=ct%3Dhu27q4ao%7Cci%3Dd5d1de06f22fde7f95fa1f44864fdcdc6c3c7de2%7Ctr%3Dslsl%7Csn%3D24%7Chk%3Dda0fa7e980ecd0024b37b92e6051550cda298048

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybone View Post


Damn! Now I want one. Can't read Korean, though. How do I get it?
Grrrrrrr..... I'd be pulling my hair out, if I had any biggrin.gif

 

World wide shopping web-site address below

 

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=535136153

post #7193 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by subver View Post

Oh wow I hadn't heard this... assuming they are all FLAC files that is only about one 128gb card or so (very rough calculation)

The limitation is on the media library database (for which right now a database file has to be stored on the X5's small internal memory). There's never been any limitation on folder browsing and the limitation on the database should be lifted in a later firmware update as I have confirmed with engineers that it should be possible to move the database file to mSD card(s) inserted in the X5. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7194 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 

Hi Joe,

Sorry I have not replied up to now but, so help me, I've been trying to think of a way to do justice to the way I feel about your complement, calling my response a gem. Sometimes the right thing to say just refuses to manifest and that's just what happened. Anyway, thanks so much for that. It truly gives me a warm feeling of shared humanity. I hope that James has gotten the message and was happy to hear it b/c I meant what I say. Perusing the responses I have read from James on Head-fi, I felt inspired to compare him to JFK b/c both have stood out for their warmth and integrity. Enough said?

 

Thank you for your compliment, gives me a big challenge to stand up to your comparison (at least in audio world!)

post #7195 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by likearake View Post
 

Hi guys

 

Can anybody confirm whether the X5 can handle external hard drives via USB OTG?

 

A search brings up a few people having problems but can't find a definitive statement.

Currently it doesn't support external hard drives and FiiO tell me it may not be possible to do so.

post #7196 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright00 View Post
 

I would be interested in the software to do the permanent fix,  I only have a small library so I could  simple save a second copy.

 

Arcright

Foobar2000 (Windows) can scan for replaygain values and (once they're in the tags) apply them permanently to the audio data.

 

Don't know about anything for other operating systems.

 

(You'd want to apply Album Gain rather than Track Gain by the way, unless you are always just shuffling tracks and never listening to whole albums, in which case you probably still want Album Gain but there would at least be a case for Track Gain. Any loose tracks just use Track Gain)

 

edit: as an aside, I expect (perhaps optimistically) replaygain tags to be supported by the firmware within a few weeks so have no plans to apply gain to the copies I have on MicroSD cards, even though I normally use replaygain 100% of the time


Edited by thericochet - 4/17/14 at 1:43am
post #7197 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


The limitation is on the media library database (for which right now a database file has to be stored on the X5's small internal memory). There's never been any limitation on folder browsing and the limitation on the database should be lifted in a later firmware update as I have confirmed with engineers that it should be possible to move the database file to mSD card(s) inserted in the X5. smily_headphones1.gif

Joe, that's great news!  

 

Okay, I have to ask.  Is this something you've been working on from the start, or was it the result of my suggestion in these posts:

 

Here's a thought:

 

Internal memory limitations are responsible for the 5800 track restriction.  Why not keep track indices for each SD card on the card itself?  That what eliminate the necessity of scanning each card whenever one is changed (after the initial scan, of course).

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/6510#post_10441700

 

I'd also note that moving the index to the SD card adds another benefit: it would be unnecessary to scan the card each time it was changed.  What first drew my attention to the X5 was its vast storage capability -- assuming Sandisk starts shipping 128 Gb cards again, the X5 can support a 1/4 terabyte library off-the-shelf.  Support for OTG makes possible carrying a music library of virtually unlimited size.  Though the FAT32 work around you've suggested would work for shuffle play, it would also preclude virtually all search capability by album, artist, genre, etc.

 

If, as you seem to suggest, the primary downside of moving the index to the SD card is slower song browsing on a song-by-song basis, I think it would be in the interest of the vast majority of X5 purchasers to accept that compromise in exchange for the considerably enhanced functionality of comprehensive and complete tag search and shuffle play.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/6660#post_1044550

post #7198 of 19490

I'm debating between ordering an X5 or a DX90 (I already have an X3). Is it possible to shuffle all song from both SD cards in the X5? And does it handle proper tagging of music - one of the small niggles with the X3 is that It doesn't display the song name etc on the playing screen, is the x5 the same?

post #7199 of 19490

It supports title/artist/album/genre tags properly, and will shuffle everything on both cards if it's all been scanned into the library.

post #7200 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

Foobar2000 (Windows) can scan for replaygain values and (once they're in the tags) apply them permanently to the audio data.

 

Don't know about anything for other operating systems.

 

(You'd want to apply Album Gain rather than Track Gain by the way, unless you are always just shuffling tracks and never listening to whole albums, in which case you probably still want Album Gain but there would at least be a case for Track Gain. Any loose tracks just use Track Gain)

 

edit: as an aside, I expect (perhaps optimistically) replaygain tags to be supported by the firmware within a few weeks so have no plans to apply gain to the copies I have on MicroSD cards, even though I normally use replaygain 100% of the time

 

Within foobar, you can also reprocess the files after scanning and applying the ReplayGain metadata to the files. (i.e. Scan for ReplayGain values => Convert => Advanced => Processing => ReplayGain Options)

 

Alternatively you can use MP3Gain (both Windows and Mac have it); only caveat is that you have to use MP3s and that it will also permanently alter the audio data.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread