Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 476

post #7126 of 19548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

Hi, I have tried the OTG function with USB sticks and with 3 powered hard disks (500GB, 1TB and 2TB and 3 different brands). Only the USB sticks work.

OTG is not intended for hard disks apparently, and when I asked FiiO they said it was impossible to support them.

I hope they will be supported in future somehow but it doesn't look likely or imminent.

It's also not wifi enabled. It essentially plays from Micro SD cards and USB sticks (or acts as a USB DAC for such as a laptop)

 

No problem! Here's a 1TB USB stick - http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB-DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O - Only a thousand bucks!

 

Did you try the external drives that are powered by USB? I have a 500gb external drive that only uses a USB wire.. I will give that a shot and see (I think I need to update my firmware before using the USB OTG, though)

post #7127 of 19548

No I didn't, all my hard disks have their own power supply.

Please do give it a try with your USB-powered hard disk and let us know. I'm not holding my hopes up though

post #7128 of 19548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

No I didn't, all my hard disks have their own power supply.

Please do give it a try with your USB-powered hard disk and let us know. I'm not holding my hopes up though

I will try it at some point today. I don't need to remove non-audio files or anything like that, right? Hopefully it is a proper format. If not I can try to see if someone at work has one I can format and use.

Do I need to update to the newest beta firmware to use OTG? I think on 1.20 it only shows USB Storage and USB DAC (unless the storage is the OTG?)

post #7129 of 19548

You can leave other files on there. It might help the 'test' if the disk was formatted to FAT32 or at least NTFS though.

 

OTG was apparently supported on 1.20 but I didn't try it on 1.20, I'm using 1.23 beta, which I guess you can get from page 456 if it feels necessary.

 

The USB setting in the options menu is for when you connect it to a computer; it doesn't affect the OTG function I don't think. 'Storage' just means when you connect it to a computer, the computer sees it as two memory cards rather than seeing it as a DAC.

post #7130 of 19548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

Hi, I have tried the OTG function with USB sticks and with 3 powered hard disks (500GB, 1TB and 2TB and 3 different brands). Only the USB sticks work.

OTG is not intended for hard disks apparently, and when I asked FiiO they said it was impossible to support them.

I hope they will be supported in future somehow but it doesn't look likely or imminent.

It's also not wifi enabled. It essentially plays from Micro SD cards and USB sticks (or acts as a USB DAC for such as a laptop)

Thanks, thats good to know I might see about the iBasso players then :)  I would realy love to use my 2TB HDD as a source of music!
 

post #7131 of 19548

From what I can see by a quick googling, the same is the case on the DX50. But they could have added support by now, I don't know.

Not sure why it seems to be difficult to support.

post #7132 of 19548

Hmm, I'm having trouble getting the USB OTG to work (on 1.20)

I have a 2GB thumb drive I am using to test. I formatted it to Fat32 and put an album on there. Connect it to my X5 then update my media library, but I don't see the files anywhere.

Am I missing something? I will try to get the 1.23 beta firmware if needed.

post #7133 of 19548

Ok I got the new beta Firmware. I can see my OTG drive now, but it says no music (even after updating library manually)

Any suggestions?

 

It's just a single folder with a bunch of FLAC files on the drive.

 

Once I get this thumb drive working I will try an external drive that does not require external power

post #7134 of 19548

Anything plugged into OTG isn't scanned by the library. You have to go to the folder view to use the files

post #7135 of 19548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

Anything plugged into OTG isn't scanned by the library. You have to go to the folder view to use the files

That's what I did.. it said "No music found!"

post #7136 of 19548

With a USB stick? Odd.

A FiiO rep in here did say something like, there are eight kinds of USB stick and six of them are currently supported. Do you have another to test?

post #7137 of 19548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

With a USB stick? Odd.

A FiiO rep in here did say something like, there are eight kinds of USB stick and six of them are currently supported. Do you have another to test?

That was my next course of action - give me a few mins and I will get back to you. I gotta find another external drive to use as well.. the one I have is a OSX format and I can't really delete everything off it. 

If I can't find another one, though, I will back everything up and format this drive to test it for you guys. I want to know as well! It would be awesome if it worked!!

post #7138 of 19548

NICE! Different USB stick worked (Verbatim 2GB)

Give me a few and I will test the external 500GB HD :)

 

Backing up the 500GB drive now, then I will format it and try.


Edited by subver - 4/16/14 at 8:40am
post #7139 of 19548

Great, let us know.

post #7140 of 19548

Ah bummer.. I tried it and I kept getting prompted "External storage device removed" over and over, I think it would mount it, then remove it, then mount it, etc.

 

I wonder if this 256GB thumb drive would work - http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Magnum-Series-PEF256GSMNUSB/dp/B00B964QFO

 

Also.. when I get a chance I will try another one, but this is a Western Digital and if any of them would be supported you would think this one would be.

 

Maybe in future updates?

 

Just not sure if it's possible because it is pulling power - maybe the X5 can't supply enough?


Edited by subver - 4/16/14 at 8:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread