Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 437

post #6541 of 19528
Well, taking all this file limit thing aside, I still want this player, so anybody got news from mp4nation concerning the shipments? I can't wait! :-D I'm in really early batch 2.
Edited by Seskoi - 4/9/14 at 11:41am
post #6542 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob49 View Post
 

Thanks for confirming that you "HAVEN'T GOT" the X5 ! Perhaps, it would be best to cancel, rather than keep posting & complaining about a product you don't OWN, as of yet !! ?

 

I am sorry that my trying to find out whether or not I should keep the X5 bothers you so much.

 

And not to let facts come in the way of your strawman - it has been a couple of posts about the issue per se.   The rest of it has been dealing with all the people who seem to keep adding their editorials about the validity of our issues.   Your 2 posts, for example, are a good example - we were almost back on track, and if you could have just controlled your urge to add to the noise, then my only further post would have been to thank James for his reply to my last question and be on my way.

 

You guys keep fuelling the fire and then complain that the thread is going on and on.   Cant have it both ways.      


Edited by vkalia - 4/9/14 at 11:02am
post #6543 of 19528

My X5 arrives at last tomorrow. If it's delivered before my lunch break, I'm even considering shooting over to scoop it up off the front step and giving it a listen during the second half of work (fortunately, my job permits this).

 

The issue with the library limit does worry me a little, as my library includes some video game soundtracks that include a couple hundred tracks each, spread across multiple discs. But I've only got one 64GB card to start out with, so I am unlikely to encounter the problem straight away.

 

I'm a little more worried about the possibility that FiiO may never add ReplayGain support. This really is my most desired feature currently missing.

 

But in spite of all that, I can't wait to put my X5 through its paces!


Edited by Age8E - 4/9/14 at 10:53am
post #6544 of 19528

Also: Can any current users confirm or deny that an 800x800 embedded cover image is too large for the X5 to display? It's the default size that was attached to all my FLAC files by dbPoweramp.


Edited by Age8E - 4/9/14 at 11:18am
post #6545 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post
 

I am NOT saying that Fiio SHOULD have done this.  I am only asking whether it would be possible to do this and IF so, would Fiio consider doing it if the suggestion is valid.

 

Suggestion is definitely great. I think James already mentioned that, at least how the way firmware has been written so far for the hardware, it is not possible or at least very difficult to make change. That means it is an issue he and the company are fully aware of. I just don't think keep pounding the issue (either support or against) further will make it easier or faster, at least not until we get the chance to read about the translation James promised. I think the question for all of us is, whether the limitation is written in the stone or whether FiiO is still looking for a fix / improvement. But the trend of posts have slowly turned into 'this should have been fixed yesterday, because we already invent the wheel for over a thousand years'. I just don't see how that's going to be helpful.

post #6546 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

I am sorry that my trying to find out whether or not I should keep the X5 bothers you so much.

 

Tell you what - you send me $100 and I'll will test the unit myself and, if not to my liking, return it without a single further post here.   Is that ok with you?


Well perhaps, you should wait to RECEIVE it, then decide, or your other alternative is, to cancel the order. If I had such concerns, as you, then I would cancel the order. SIMPLE AS !!

( Last post ?? I DOUBT IT !!! ? )


Edited by Rob49 - 4/9/14 at 11:09am
post #6547 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Suggestion is definitely great. I think James already mentioned that, at least how the way firmware has been written so far for the hardware, it is not possible or at least very difficult to make change. That means it is an issue he and the company are fully aware of. I just don't think keep pounding the issue (either support or against) further will make it easier or faster, at least not until we get the chance to read about the translation James promised. I think the question for all of us is, whether the limitation is written in the stone or whether FiiO is still looking for a fix / improvement. But the trend of posts have slowly turned into 'this should have been fixed yesterday, because we already invent the wheel for over a thousand years'. I just don't see how that's going to be helpful.

I agree with you.  I'd also note that the folder view workaround makes the file limitation issue considerably less of a problem, at least in my view.  I've noticed, too, that a lot of the complainers have a "my way or the highway" attitude, which I find rather strange and short-sighted.  It's as if they assume that the ONLY way to use a DAP is the specific way they use it for the specific listening patterns AND their specific types of music.  A DAP is a general purpose listening device that, like a general purpose computer, must accommodate a fairly wide range of listening preferences.  What Fiio offers in the X5 (and the complainers seem to forget) is audiophile quality at less than half the cost of a comparable unit from another manufacturer.  My iPod Classic is more versatile when it comes to sorting music, but it also doesn't approach the sound quality of the X5, even when I pair it with an E12.  That's why I bought my X5 -- I want superior sound, and I've gotten in at a very reasonable price.

 

My particular need is for true gapless, but I've even figured a way around that.  My personal listening preference is by album, from first track to last.  If worse comes to worst, I'll just re-rip my CDs that need to be gapless to a single ALAC or FLAC file.  The X5 will support .cue files in a future firmware release but, until then, I'm perfectly content just playing the album file front-to-back without being able to skip to a particular track.  That will work just fine for me, the downside is minimal, and I get the benefit of the incredible sonic qualities of the X5.

 

Finally, I'd note that the X5 is a brand new product that we're all experiencing in the first weeks of its world-wide release.  Fiio has clearly demonstrated its commitment to firmware revisions to address current issues and I have every expectation that, a year from now, most, if not all, of our complaints will be taken care of.  In the interim, we all have a truly fine DAP, and there are workarounds for most, if not all, of the concerns.

post #6548 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age8E View Post
 

Also: Can any current users confirm or deny that an 800x800 embedded cover image is too large for the X5 to display? It's the default size that was attached to all my FLAC files by dbPoweramp.

My ALAC files have a variety of different cover image sizes embedded in them, and some are larger than 800x800.  The X5 appears to display all of them just fine.

post #6549 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seskoi View Post

Well, taking all this file limit thing aside, I still want this player, so anybody got news from mp4nation concerning the shipments? I can't wait! :-D I'm in really really batch 2.

Same boat. Still waiting here for my batch 1 preorder to ship. My order status now shows "Processing" instead of "Pre order". Not sure what that means, but they apparently expected more units yesterday according to cust service. Soon!
post #6550 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob49 View Post
 


Well perhaps, you should wait to RECEIVE it, then decide, or your other alternative is, to cancel the order. If I had such concerns, as you, then I would cancel the order. SIMPLE AS !!

( Last post ?? I DOUBT IT !!! ? )

 

Well, glad to know what you'd do in my shoes.  Thanks for sharing.  

 

Can we move on now?

 

(Of course no last post - James hasnt replied yet.    But you knew that and couldnt help getting a dig in.  Again, sorry that your feelings are upset).


Edited by vkalia - 4/9/14 at 11:37am
post #6551 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post

 

My particular need is for true gapless

 

 

I have no use for gapless but I won't knock you if you chose to ditch the X5 because of that. Let alone tell you that you are using it wrong or that its somehow your fault for wanting to have the gapless playback that you've always had. See what I did there?

 

 

 

Moving on.

 

Has anyone created a custom EQ yet? If so what are your settings? It didn't come with a Hip-Hop eq which is typically what I've used in the past when I want more bass in a particular song.

post #6552 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

Well, glad to know what you'd do in my shoes.  Thanks for sharing.  

 

Can we move on now?

 

(Of course no last post - James hasnt replied yet.    But you knew that and couldnt help getting a dig in.  Again, sorry that your feelings are upset).

I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. I'm not at all upset ! ( you're the one that's upset, about a product YOU DON'T OWN ( and probably never will ! ?? )  What's the E.T.A. ?

post #6553 of 19528
LOL this thread..... sigh.

Anyway I received my X5 from HDPHNS today. It's got some quirks but none of them are surprises cause I did my homework before buying. Soundwise my first impression was of a boomy mess - then I remembered that's how my M100s sound. smily_headphones1.gif Next purhase will definitely be a less bassy set of portable cans.

PS I do actually quite like the M100s for what they are.
post #6554 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

I have no use for gapless but I won't knock you if you chose to ditch the X5 because of that. Let alone tell you that you are using it wrong or that its somehow your fault for wanting to have the gapless playback that you've always had. See what I did there?

 

No, I don't.

post #6555 of 19528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob49 View Post
 

I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. I'm not at all upset ! ( you're the one that's upset, about a product YOU DON'T OWN ( and probably never will ! ?? )  What's the E.T.A. ?

 

Of course not.  Stalking someone on Head-fi is NOT at all a sign that you are upset.    I am done wasting time with you - you are welcome to get the last word in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread